Advise on studying for DAT by May!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSABeach

Got a Dream Go Get it!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am scoring on a diagnostic test scores is 11 overall :( ... I was planning on taking the DAT end of May?? Do you think I will be ready for the DATby then? And, any advise on how to study effectively and quickly! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

If I am scoring on a diagnostic test scores is 11 overall :( ... I was planning on taking the DAT end of May?? Do you think I will be ready for the DATby then? And, any advise on how to study effectively and quickly! :scared:

you got PLENTY of time until end of may. Its only mid march so far. study consistently everyday. set short term goals and make sure you achieve them.Over time it will all add up. You can do it. :thumbup:

May is plenty of time. I scored Acad Avg: 14 overall on my practice test the first time. Its been a month and a half and I'm hitting 17+s. i sincerely think the amt of time and understanding u put in for the dat is correlated with how well u do. goodluck! get to dominating that test. :thumbup:

my study routine:
READ and UNDERSTOOD the Kaplan book (by understand, i dont mean literally know every minuscule detail) just had the overall concepts CLEAR in my mind. did occasional problems to reinforce. then started hitting subject tests hard (still doing this). any concept that isn't clear, make note, and review. DO QUESTIONS! and lots. and know why the answer choice is right and the wrong ones are wrong. i find most of the minuscule details are retained better through doing questions. hope that helps.

Dont worry, consider yourself a clean slate.
Scoring an 11 probably means that you do not have a very good command on the basic material yet. But you have plenty of time. Start over and cover everything in Kaplan step by step. Dont take any shortcuts! There's no use in rushing. Make sure you understand everything before moving on.
Consider buying Topscore and take a subject test after you're done with a section (ex Gchem). Gauge how you did and redo the problems you got wrong. Rinse and repeat.
-Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
dont stress too much about low practice scores, the practice tests are harder than the real thing.

which kaplan book are you referring to? the 900 page book they give you when you take the class?

May is plenty of time. I scored Acad Avg: 14 overall on my practice test the first time. Its been a month and a half and I'm hitting 17+s. i sincerely think the amt of time and understanding u put in for the dat is correlated with how well u do. goodluck! get to dominating that test. :thumbup:

my study routine:
READ and UNDERSTOOD the Kaplan book (by understand, i dont mean literally know every minuscule detail) just had the overall concepts CLEAR in my mind. did occasional problems to reinforce. then started hitting subject tests hard (still doing this). any concept that isn't clear, make note, and review. DO QUESTIONS! and lots. and know why the answer choice is right and the wrong ones are wrong. i find most of the minuscule details are retained better through doing questions. hope that helps.

Thank you for your advice and encouragement it is ALL very much appreciated! Again, thank you EVERYONE! I have started with a clean slate in my studing route. I hope I make in time ... tic, toc.

Break up each sci section into equal parts. The orgo has fifteen chapters so do three a day for five days. Read, summarize each chapter on a piece of paper,make flashcards. Repeat till done. Reread everything. Divide the chem up into equal parts. Read, summarize each chapter, repeat till done. Reread everything. Divide the Bio into equal parts. Read, summarize each chapter, supplement the plants,taxo,evolution,origins of life,ecology,animal behavior with Schaums, repeat till done. Reread. Go through the math, take notes of concepts you have issues with and write formulas down. Start taking practice tests. Itemize what you are getting wrong by subject and go back to your books and retake notes on what you get wrong(you should be developing quite the stack of notes by now,haha). A few weeks before your test, retake all notes(this helps me to hammer things into my head-maybe itll help you?). Good luck.