Advise Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue3232

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year and am trying to decide between IM and neurology. Given I only have a few weeks left before I need t start getting my application ready I am not sure how I will decide.

My question is, if I decide to do Neurology and then after my prelim year decide to switch to IM, will my prelim year in IM count towards an IM residency, hence I will only have years left, or will I have to start over and do all three years?

Another quesiton, I was thinking of endroinology and was wondering how that lifestyle compares to a neurologist?

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

i know it can, but you should also remember that neuro matches 1 year ahead---that is, you apply for posts at the same time you apply for PGY1. If you match with neuro and decide not to stick to it, im afraid that may be a match violation. Im not really sure as I am just navigating the field myself. Of course you could just apply to a prelim year...and then go out of the match for neuro---but from what i hear on the boars, not really that many programs offer this.

i know it can, but you should also remember that neuro matches 1 year ahead---that is, you apply for posts at the same time you apply for PGY1. If you match with neuro and decide not to stick to it, im afraid that may be a match violation. Im not really sure as I am just navigating the field myself. Of course you could just apply to a prelim year...and then go out of the match for neuro---but from what i hear on the boars, not really that many programs offer this.

The NRMP policy regarding advanced matches is relatively flexible. If you decide to change specialties and you notify them before mid January, you can be released from your match without a violation. You are not allowed to change programs in the same specialty this way.

The relevant text from the match agreement:
The NRMP, in its discretion, may grant to an applicant a waiver of his/her binding commitment to a program if the NRMP determines that the fulfillment of his/her commitment would cause serious hardship. An applicant who matched to an advanced position also may request a waiver if the applicant has elected to change specialties, provided the waiver is requested no later than the January 15 prior to the start of training. The applicant must request the waiver in writing and must send the request to the NRMP with a copy to the program to which the applicant matched. The NRMP will investigate the waiver request to determine whether or not the waiver shall be granted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool! Thanks for the info...O Sith Lord in disguise! You are a gem :) I do miss the avatar, though...