Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greeny

greeny
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I took NBDE part1 in 2006 and now reappearing again. i wanted to know if there is any change in the pattern of the exam for part1. I am very scared this time as this will be my last chance. has it become more harder?? I will appreciate everyone's one efforts for the reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, greeny! :)
Well, I had my exam in 2009, and I am not sure how it will compare to the one in 2006, but I can still tell you that it's really stressful - that hadn't changed , I bet :). I am not sure, why you want to repeat the exam. Aren't you happy with your grade? You just have to get the new dental decks 2009-2010 and compare them with the ones that you used. I am also not sure if you had case questions on your exam in 2006. My cases on my exam were pretty hard (if not weird), but I still managed to get a good grade, so I guess it all depends on the curve.
Hope it helps. Good luck :luck:
Hi everyone,

I took NBDE part1 in 2006 and now reappearing again. i wanted to know if there is any change in the pattern of the exam for part1. I am very scared this time as this will be my last chance. has it become more harder?? I will appreciate everyone's one efforts for the reply.

Hi, bombshell,
Thanks a lot for the reply. Actually i want to improve my score, i just scored 83 in 2006 but after that didnt try again. but now i am retaking. Could you please tell me like how many case questions will be there in the exam? i am using 2009-2010 decks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! greeny,
the exam pattern has sure changed a lot since 2006.The exam was much more easier comparitively to what it is right now.Then,the questions used to be much more straight forward.But now its all twisted up.Kinda like most of the questions make you sweat,confused,think real real hard.I was able to corner the choices to two .That was easy.But the last two choices were really something.Both of those choices were so close.There are clinical vignettes.It starts towards the end of the first session if i remember well and after the one hour break for the next 80 questions or so it is just these clinical cases.I think there are 8 or 10 clinical vignette cases.God! i forgot.Well! the pilot paper should give you an idea as to what it is like right now.But believe me the real ADA exam is much difficult than the pilot 2004 paper.So be prepared well! When i took the exam in dec 2009,i felt the questions that were asked were so much in depth.They sure check your basics.I mean i never felt that way for the 2006 paper that i had taken long ago.Then as you know its all jumbled up.There is no different section to each subject.Just one chance.Use it wisely!Any help please feel free to ask.

Greeny,

twinklestar is totally right, the questions are kind of weird (weird as in ... hms, you know the material, but the way that they ask you the question is really challanging in terms of understanding what they are asking you about... Hahhaha Wow, I think i don't make sense anymore... Just as Twinklestar said, be prepared for really weird/twisted questions. Just check the SDN forum discussions for part 1 and you will see what type of weird questions there are out there. I found the forum quite helpful to get used to the weirdness in the formulation of the questions. Just do your homework (research) before you take someone else's word for the correct answer.

I agree that the pilot papers were much easier than the real exam that I had. Yip, I think that you can surely improve your result on the boards, but make sure you study really HARD and be prepared. You have only one shot. :)

Hi! greeny,
the exam pattern has sure changed a lot since 2006.The exam was much more easier comparitively to what it is right now.Then,the questions used to be much more straight forward.But now its all twisted up.Kinda like most of the questions make you sweat,confused,think real real hard.I was able to corner the choices to two .That was easy.But the last two choices were really something.Both of those choices were so close.There are clinical vignettes.It starts towards the end of the first session if i remember well and after the one hour break for the next 80 questions or so it is just these clinical cases.I think there are 8 or 10 clinical vignette cases.God! i forgot.Well! the pilot paper should give you an idea as to what it is like right now.But believe me the real ADA exam is much difficult than the pilot 2004 paper.So be prepared well! When i took the exam in dec 2009,i felt the questions that were asked were so much in depth.They sure check your basics.I mean i never felt that way for the 2006 paper that i had taken long ago.Then as you know its all jumbled up.There is no different section to each subject.Just one chance.Use it wisely!Any help please feel free to ask.