Advising Office put someone else's letter in my packet. I've been complete since mid-July.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sovereign0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear that, good luck, hope someone has some good advice for you

Was this letter added to your packet in addition to the letters you requested or was a letter you had requested omitted as well? As long as all the letters you requested be sent were in the packet, I don't see how this can hurt or slow you down.

You are a marginal applicant and you have an IA which could hurt. Now you have something that is no fault of your own that you can blame.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was this letter added to your packet in addition to the letters you requested or was a letter you had requested omitted as well? As long as all the letters you requested be sent were in the packet, I don't see how this can hurt or slow you down.

You are a marginal applicant and you have an IA which could hurt. Now you have something that is no fault of your own that you can blame.

From the email I got, it appears that one of my letters was omitted. I'm going to the office when they open to confirm.

I'm not really looking for something to blame, I know where my shortcomings lie and it's extremely frustrating that the small advantages I tried to give myself have been nullified by incompetence beyond my control. I recognize the possibility that I will have to re-apply for a third time have just been hugely amplified by how late my application will now be. I'm involved in some killer extra-curriculars and I plan on retaking the MCAT if I have no luck this cycle.

Do you have any other advice on how to proceed? Should I withdraw my application completely? Or is my current "plan" okay?

From the email I got, it appears that one of my letters was omitted. I'm going to the office when they open to confirm.

I'm not really looking for something to blame, I know where my shortcomings lie and it's extremely frustrating that the small advantages I tried to give myself have been nullified by incompetence beyond my control. I recognize the possibility that I will have to re-apply for a third time have just been hugely amplified by how late my application will now be. I'm involved in some killer extra-curriculars and I plan on retaking the MCAT if I have no luck this cycle.

Do you have any other advice on how to proceed? Should I withdraw my application completely? Or is my current "plan" okay?

You'll probably have to plan this out once you find out which letter is missing. If it disqualifies 7 schools that wouldn't be the end of the world. If the letter was essential for all schools, that might require a different plan

I really dislike prehealth advising commissions. They seem to do more harm than good. Personally I'm glad my school doesn't have one

Reactions: 1 user
You'll probably have to plan this out once you find out which letter is missing. If it disqualifies 7 schools that wouldn't be the end of the world. If the letter was essential for all schools, that might require a different plan

I know which letter is missing, it was just a character reference. My packet currently has two science letters, a letter from my PI, and one other character reference (from an MD). I suppose my main concern is just how goddamn late I will be re-reviewed once my app is truly "complete", if there are even any interview slots open at that time, and if they even bother re-reviewing at all. I don't know anything about the admissions process, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. Just another mediocre ORM trying to get into med school, they can toss my application in the purgatory hold pile and they'll have a dozen similar applicants to choose from.

I really dislike prehealth advising commissions. They seem to do more harm than good. Personally I'm glad my school doesn't have one

Yeah. Last time I applied I stuck with individual letters. This time, they sold me on the letter service because they insisted that they would "vet" the letters before the packet is submitted. That worked out great for me, didn't it? I even asked them to please double-check my letters before submission to AMCAS, looks like they didn't.

I know which letter is missing, it was just a character reference. My packet currently has two science letters, a letter from my PI, and one other character reference (from an MD). I suppose my main concern is just how goddamn late I will be re-reviewed once my app is truly "complete", if there are even any interview slots open at that time, and if they even bother re-reviewing at all. I don't know anything about the admissions process, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. Just another mediocre ORM trying to get into med school, they can toss my application in the purgatory hold pile and they'll have a dozen similar applicants to choose from.

Right I forgot that the letter is already listed so they'll wait for it. Does anyone know if he'd be able to call each school and ask them to not wait for that letter? Seems like there's a chance that would be an option, this can't be the only time that an application was held up due to unforeseen LOR circumstances. Maybe I'm wrong, but hopefully you can let them know that it's just not coming.

Right I forgot that the letter is already listed so they'll wait for it. Does anyone know if he'd be able to call each school and ask them to not wait for that letter? Seems like there's a chance that would be an option, this can't be the only time that an application was held up due to unforeseen LOR circumstances. Maybe I'm wrong, but hopefully you can let them know that it's just not coming.

Since it's a letter packet, AMCAS basically had one letter listed (actually a packet of 5) and received it. Turns out that one of the five letters just wasn't mine. Basically, I'm pretty sure that schools have already reviewed my app and letters, passed me over, and moved on.

Since it's a letter packet, AMCAS basically had one letter listed (actually a packet of 5) and received it. Turns out that one of the five letters just wasn't mine. Basically, I'm pretty sure that schools have already reviewed my app and letters, passed me over, and moved on.

Right, sorry I sent individual letters so I don't know as much about this, I should stop suggesting things. One last suggestion though, don't lose hope until you hear from more knowledgable people. When LizzyM answered she didn't yet know the full situation. Good luck!