advocate general vs evanston northshore for GI placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmmm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
They both place ok as far as community programs go in terms of GI but I don't know which one to rank higher.

Which is "better?"

Can anyone speak to the teaching/didactics and camaraderie in either?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

They both place ok as far as community programs go in terms of GI but I don't know which one to rank higher.

Which is "better?"

I think Northshore has a slightly better reputation due to their affiliation with U of C (and previously Northwestern). You might get the opportunity to do electives at U of C and meet more faculty that could get you research projects, etc. Having said that, they are both good community programs. I haven't interviewed at either but both programs have a few people go into fellowship every year.

Which is "better?"

I have heard only good things about Northshore Evanston, as I have a few friends who are either residents/grads from there. Dont know enough about Advocate Christ to compare it, but residents are phenomenally happy with the teaching and the patient diversity. Great cameraderie. They do have an excellent placement record for fellowships and what chitown said is the way I am thinking too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Indeed, you can't go wrong with Northshore Evanston. I think they used to be affiliated with UIC, but now are a separate program?

do you mean lutheran general?

i know lutheran general has a GI fellowship (good community program with electives at U of C) whereas northshore does not, and lutheran usually takes someone from their own residency program for that spot. thus you know there is at least one place you have a good shot at if you match at lutheran.

ultimately you should check the match lists at both places to decide.

i interviewed at northshore but not lutheran. i really liked the feel of the program, seemed to have good teaching and a really reasonable call schedule, and it seemed to gear you towards primary care medicine. most people that went on to fellowship (from what i remember) went into non-procedural fields (endo, rheum, renal).

cant speak on much else about these programs, sorry.

do you mean lutheran general?

i know lutheran general has a GI fellowship (good community program with electives at U of C) whereas northshore does not, and lutheran usually takes someone from their own residency program for that spot. thus you know there is at least one place you have a good shot at if you match at lutheran.

ultimately you should check the match lists at both places to decide.

i interviewed at northshore but not lutheran. i really liked the feel of the program, seemed to have good teaching and a really reasonable call schedule, and it seemed to gear you towards primary care medicine. most people that went on to fellowship (from what i remember) went into non-procedural fields (endo, rheum, renal).

cant speak on much else about these programs, sorry.

Last edited:
Reasonable call? You either either long or short and you will always cap. Be prepared to work 2-3 hours past you're scheduled time on a daily basis.

you realize that you're responding to a post from 6.5 years ago, right?