AECOM and other schools named after guys with great hair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FictionalGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AECOM applicants - I was wondering when we hear if we got accepted. I interviewed about a month ago and i know there aren't rolling admissions, but i can't remember when we're supposed to hear back. Does anybody know? Also, for anybody waiting to hear back who just wants to talk about the school, this thread could be good

Additionally, If anyone would like to hear a funny joke. Just ask :) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still confused as to whether UCLA's David Geffen SOM is named after the music/hollywood mogul, or if there's some random physician named Geffen that I seem to have missed.
:confused:

FictionalGirl said:
AECOM applicants - I was wondering when we hear if we got accepted. I interviewed about a month ago and i know there aren't rolling admissions, but i can't remember when we're supposed to hear back. Does anybody know? Also, for anybody waiting to hear back who just wants to talk about the school, this thread could be good

Additionally, If anyone would like to hear a funny joke. Just ask :) :laugh:

You shouldn't expect to hear from the adcom til mid-january at the earliest. long wait ahead of you, :laugh: so what's the joke?

EDIT: oh yeah, I'm an MS2 at Einstein, if u or anyone has any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Einstein is non-rolling? I had no idea. Good news for all of us August MCATers.

First day for acceptance is January 15th. They will just send you a letter, no phone call. After Jan 15th, AECOM is rolling. I was very close to going there last year. Great school with great faculty. Good luck everyone!

Could I hear a funny joke?

so has anybody had any luck calling einstein and getting any information about their file? i called earlier today and they didn't seem too friendly or helpful, just got a "says your file is still under review, no decision has been made yet." and then a "good luck" and she really made it sound like i was going to need it... paranoia?

even if einstein is not rolling admissions, didn't they start interviewing pretty early? and i see plenty of august mcaters getting interviews. how soon does their class start filling up?

bubbleyum said:
so has anybody had any luck calling einstein and getting any information about their file? i called earlier today and they didn't seem too friendly or helpful, just got a "says your file is still under review, no decision has been made yet." and then a "good luck" and she really made it sound like i was going to need it... paranoia?

even if einstein is not rolling admissions, didn't they start interviewing pretty early? and i see plenty of august mcaters getting interviews. how soon does their class start filling up?

I've called Einstein several times and I agree that the lady is not very helpful. Basically she just tells me to keep waiting every time and how they have 7000 applicants so it will take at least a month to get to my file, etc etc.

But several people who were complete the same day as me have gotten interviews, so I don't know what to think. And yeah, I know LOTS of people have gotten interviews already, so I feel like if I don't hear from them soon, it won't really matter even if they're non-rolling.

bubbleyum said:

well, it's prolly a bit annoying to receive phone calls everyday "is there any change on my file? no? how about now? no, huh? umm...then now?" Of course, that's something secretaries everywhere have to deal with :laugh:

Jan 15th huh? I may explode before then. Do you know if they look at the earlier interviews for those spots or do they give acceptances and if you're not in the first wave you stay in the running. I interviewed Mid-October, so i was pretty early in things (ish) I've heard VERY different opinions on the school from different people who interviewed, but i feel like its just a fantastic fit for me. So I can't wait to hear back... I don't want to have to re-take those MCATS and apply again! I'm itching to start now! :)

How do you like it there? Do you live in the campus apartments? :)

FictionalGirl said:
Jan 15th huh? I may explode before then. Do you know if they look at the earlier interviews for those spots or do they give acceptances and if you're not in the first wave you stay in the running. I interviewed Mid-October, so i was pretty early in things (ish) I've heard VERY different opinions on the school from different people who interviewed, but i feel like its just a fantastic fit for me. So I can't wait to hear back... I don't want to have to re-take those MCATS and apply again! I'm itching to start now! :)

How do you like it there? Do you live in the campus apartments? :)

I like living here (keep in mind i have a car so i never feel trapped in the Bronx). I live in an a apartment with 2 roommates. had to decorate it ourselves cause it was completely bare when we moved in. we also have a living room, kitchen, dining area, and bathroom. most of the students live in the same 3 apartment buildings, all next to each other, so that's nice. some students who were really late in applying for housing have to live a couple blocks away instead of right across the street from the school, but they can usually move to the eastchester apartments w/in a month or two as soon as some 4th year moves out.

For some reason, I feel like the school doesn't try to sell itself to interviewees, so I can easily see why there's such a huge difference of opinion among them. (I wasn't that impressed w/ the school when I interviewed. thankfully I changed my mind later on).

As for the january 15th admissions, I don't know if people who don't get accepted then are still in the running. i honestly just have no clue either way.

Rendar.. you're a second year, you said?
Do you like the curriculum there?

Oh also, about the car... I have a car i'd like to bring if (when!) i get in. are there garage spots for the 1st years? (i can always bring my snow shoes!)

if u want a garage spot, then apply for it a couple months before school starts if u're around (or come early for the free 2-week biochem joke course and beat all the other 1st years to those spots) they were doing construction to the garage for a few months, so there was a backup on the list.

I love the curriculum layout here. But doesn't mean anyone else will love it. It just fits into my own preferences. basically 2-3 classes at a time, block exams around once a month, all classes are short and intense, mix of organ system and discipline approach, so different courses will go over similar material from different perspectives. Physiology is usually taught along with corresponding pathophysiology and pathology, which i prefer, as opposed to a lot of schools which will do all physiology, then go back and do all pathophys. Only exception is CV phys is first year, CV pathophys and path is 2nd year. Oh, and we do histo before anatomy. to help ease you in I guess. I know Tufts does the same thing. Prolly some other schools out there too.

Some people prefer 5 different subjects at once, and those subjects going over the course of half a year to a year. I really like the short, intense courses so I don't have to spend all year on a similar subject and divide my attention between several different subjects at once, and can take long breaks in my studying after exams.

My only fear with the block system is forgetting everything because I learned it in such a short, intense period. But it seems to work for students who have done it!

Jan. 15 is a long way away, isn't it? :eek:

well, only one way to find out tigress :laugh: I find that because a lot of courses overlap, I'm prevented from completely forgetting everything, but at all med schools people will forget a lot of 1st year material by the time they're in 2nd year studying for the boards.

Though I'm also doing something crazy at the moment. reading my old histology book from last year (September and October course). Just the male and female reproduction chapters. despite the fact that histo is so useless clinically in and of itself, i've found that going over it really helps me learn my phys, pathophys, and path for each organ system unit.

Here's hoping I get to apply for a parking space next year! :love: