AECOM Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatsamatta U

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who's comin' with me? Who's comin' with me besides flipper here?

Members don't see this ad.

strong possibility that i might be going to AECOM! yay Class of 2011 =)

Sweet, welcome Ahhh123. I'm getting more and more excited each day. AECOM seems awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
:D I 'll be there in the fall!

Me 2! Anyone get the alumni magazine? Just got it in the mail today, Einstein seems like a really awesome place. I like their Scrubs Day! :)

It seems highly likely that I'll be attending in the fall. Can't wait to meet my future classmates !!!

I will probably be coming as well but I am waiting to hear from the rest of the schools I applied to before making a final decision. Will everyone here be living on campus? Anyone here married?

Is there a second look weekend? I really like AECOM when I visited, and I'm trying to decide between there and NYU I think. hmmm, decisions decisions. I really like that they have scrub day instead of the white coat ceremony, that is so awesome!

Is there a second look weekend? I really like AECOM when I visited, and I'm trying to decide between there and NYU I think. hmmm, decisions decisions. I really like that they have scrub day instead of the white coat ceremony, that is so awesome!

i have a friend who's an ms1 there.... i think they have both a scrub day and a white coat ceremony

i have a friend who's an ms1 there.... i think they have both a scrub day and a white coat ceremony

opps, well i still like the scrub thing.

Hey guys,

Congrats on being accepted to AECOM class of 2011! My fiancee and I are MSI's here, and we really like it. If you are deciding between schools and have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]. I'll give you an honest answer, but I can't promise it'll be spectacularly prompt. Lots of studying to do!

are there any good restaurants around the school, didn't seem like there was much more than standard delis and cheap chinese food

Members don't see this ad :)
are there any good restaurants around the school, didn't seem like there was much more than standard delis and cheap chinese food

when i visited my friend who' s an m1 there directed me to this really good italian restaurant down a few blocks from aecom! othe rthan that i think we probably have to take the subway/bus to manhattan for good food!

I'm also debating between AECOM and a few other schools. I was wondering if anyone can comment on the Jewish aspect of the school. More specifically, does it affect anything? Daily life? Aside from library/gym being closed on Saturday and the Kosher food in the cafeteria.

Thanks!

From what I saw while visiting, and was told by staff and students it affects only the cafeteria, the library is closed on the Sabbath and Jewish holy days and school is closed on the Jewish holy days ( in addition, I believe, to the regular holidays ).

From what I saw while visiting, and was told by staff and students it affects only the cafeteria, the library is closed on the Sabbath and Jewish holy days and school is closed on the Jewish holy days ( in addition, I believe, to the regular holidays ).

Yeh even though the library's closed for jewish holidays... i think we have access to fordham's library which is a bus ride away.. but it shouldn't be much of a problem to find somewhere else to study

MS-5 here (on vacation month so I'm bored out of my mind)

The jewish thing really doesn't matter so much, except that the gym is closed on Saturday. I suppose the cafeteria is closed too, but I haven't eaten there in 4.5 years (food's nasty). As for the stuff to eat around here, you are pretty much limited to 5 flavors: chinese, japanese, italian, mexican (made by chinese people), and caribbean (damn good). If there are any other questions, feel free to PM or post here. You can also check out aecommunity.com to learn more about this place.

MS-5 here (on vacation month so I'm bored out of my mind)

The jewish thing really doesn't matter so much, except that the gym is closed on Saturday. I suppose the cafeteria is closed too, but I haven't eaten there in 4.5 years (food's nasty). As for the stuff to eat around here, you are pretty much limited to 5 flavors: chinese, japanese, italian, mexican (made by chinese people), and caribbean (damn good). If there are any other questions, feel free to PM or post here. You can also check out aecommunity.com to learn more about this place.

how bad would life be to not have a car?

I sold my car as soon as I got accepted, and I haven't had one since. Getting to the city is easy (45 min by bus, 1 hr by subway). However, the buses stop at midnight, so if you go drinkin and don't have a friend that has a car, it's 40 bucks for the cab ride back home (so split it with somebody). Without a car you can't go to Stop-n-Shop (the nice supermarket) and have to walk to Pathmark (ghetto, but good enough). In other words, I haven't had a car in five years and it ain't too bad at all.

I like parentheses.

So for those of you who still haven't made a final decision, where else are you considering?

MSSM and OHSU....what bout u?

does AECOM have a second look? Are there any current AECOM students who can comment on the interaction between students and faculty? Is the grading P/F both 1st and 2nd year? What about 3rd and 4th? Thanks!

I have no idea if there's a second look or not. Grading is rankless P/F for first two years. Third year is excellent. 4th year is vacation/electives/research. What kind of interaction with the faculty are you referring to?

Willing to answer any questions you may have. feel free to pm or ask on the forum.

So far having a great time at Einstein, in clerkships now and really getting the full exposure to medicine. I had a hard time deciding when it came down to the wire in May and found these forums very helpful, but try not to take them too seriously as many pre-meds and medical students are just as neurotic as they seem.

check out -- http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/ for some unbiased info about all schools, along with the http://aecommunity.com site for specific Einstien info.

Good luck!

I have no idea if there's a second look or not. Grading is rankless P/F for first two years. Third year is excellent. 4th year is vacation/electives/research. What kind of interaction with the faculty are you referring to?

I am deciding between AECOM and BU. At BU I am getting a bad vibe due to the intensity of competition there and the place being run like a business (lots of red tape). When I say interaction I mean the quality of instructions and access to faculty if I have questions. I am leaning towards AECOM. I also get the feeling that students are overall happier from the small-sample survey noted in above post

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

Its a hard decision as they are both great schools. I think it might come down to cost in the end.

Willing to answer any questions you may have. feel free to pm or ask on the forum.

So far having a great time at Einstein, in clerkships now and really getting the full exposure to medicine. I had a hard time deciding when it came down to the wire in May and found these forums very helpful, but try not to take them too seriously as many pre-meds and medical students are just as neurotic as they seem.

check out -- http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/ for some unbiased info about all schools, along with the http://aecommunity.com site for specific Einstien info.

Good luck!

That's a great link, thank you very much.

I will also most likely be there in the fall. Does anyone know the average Step I score?

Avg Step 1 is 221 I think. I would consider that the least important aspect of deciding. Faculty are usually available to talk to after class or whenever (I didn't really use them that much). I'm more of a self-studying type, so the first two years didn't really matter to me. However, people are there and you can talk to them if you like. Lecture quality varies: they have excellent people for things like biochem, anatomy, and immunology, but genetics made me want to pull my hair out. It's pretty much the same wherever you go.

The best part is the grading system. No rank, no cutthroat gunner crap, no competition (except for those that just have to). Makes the first two years very laid back.

In my eyes, quality of instruction means squat. The third and fourth year are what really matter. Whichever school has county hospitals, lots of student responsibility (I know folks at some Ivy League places who are about to graduate and have yet to place an IV), and opportunity to do some procedures. Einstein is good for this, but I don't know anything about BU.

Has anyone received anything besides the letter yet ? Such as housing or financial aid applications. Does anyone know when the calender will be ready ? Is anyone here taking the summer prep course?

Only recieved some stuff from the Alumni office. Are any of you part of the Uncle Albert/Aunt Alberta club? I really appreciate how much AECOM tries to reach out to us, makes me feel like they care about their students (which was definitly not my impression from the admissions office pre-acceptance).

Also, did anyone get called in the phonathon and find out anything interesting? I learned more about how sweet it is that they start anatomy later in the year, giving first years some time to adjust to the demanding work load before being bombarded with anatomy.

The phone-a-thon didnt really help me because I already had many of questions answered by the first year through the Uncle Albert Club so that was useful. I have more questions that pertain specifically to my situation ( married with a baby ) but the first year put me in touch with a married student.

The phone-a-thon didnt really help me because I already had many of questions answered by the first year through the Uncle Albert Club so that was useful. I have more questions that pertain specifically to my situation ( married with a baby ) but the first year put me in touch with a married student.

Yeah I heard couples get to live in the studios, but that can't possibly be big enough for a family of three can it?

For those of you trying to decide between AECOM and other schools, whats the major thing that's pulling you towards AECOM? I'm trying to decide between AECOM and U of MN since I'm from the midwest.... any advice?

access to manhattan
strong clinical years
cool students

major downer: cost

For those of you trying to decide between AECOM and other schools, whats the major thing that's pulling you towards AECOM? I'm trying to decide between AECOM and U of MN since I'm from the midwest.... any advice?

Hey Badger!

I'm from MN too and interviewed there earlier this month. I've yet to hear but I'm also curious about this comparison. From what I've gathered:

AECOM

emphasis on research (requirement)
more global health opportunities
truly is P/F (I think MN actually ranks its students with the top 20% receiving honors), students maybe more laid-back
a more diverse patient population, a very good reputation in NYC and the east coast.
diverse class (i was really surprised about this but take a look at the face book section)

does anyone know if AECOM is generous with financial aid?

:

AECOM

truly is P/F (I think MN actually ranks its students with the top 20% receiving honors), students maybe more laid-back
a more diverse patient population, a very good reputation in NYC and the east coast.
diverse class (i was really surprised about this but take a look at the face book section)

what do you mean a diverse class? like ethnicities or where people are from. although they have a LOT more international students than MN, i think about 2/3 or 3/4 of the class is from NY or CA (not that that's a bad thing! just pointing it out!) Also, is the 5th year option at AECOM similar to the 3.5-6 year flexible program at MN, or is the flexible program more...well.... flexible? Since both places said this would be an opportunity to work abroad.

past threads on sdn say that the answer is "no." or at least, probably no better than the average school. the average scholarship *seems* to be about 3k per year. maybe they have good institutional loans. still, with tuition at 39k, that's a lot of money to borrow.

can anyone at aecom comment on this?

what do you mean a diverse class? like ethnicities or where people are from. although they have a LOT more international students than MN, i think about 2/3 or 3/4 of the class is from NY or CA (not that that's a bad thing! just pointing it out!) Also, is the 5th year option at AECOM similar to the 3.5-6 year flexible program at MN, or is the flexible program more...well.... flexible? Since both places said this would be an opportunity to work abroad.

ethnically, and compared to MN geographically. Plus, MN's #1 undergrad feeders are UMN, St. Olaf, Madison

Yeah I heard couples get to live in the studios, but that can't possibly be big enough for a family of three can it?

Nope. Even a two bedroom will take getting used to since we live in a nice big three bedroom. As it is I will have to sell all my pets ( fish, reptiles, etc. ) and my grill since the apts dont have porchs. I also dont know where the heck I will fit all our stuff, furniture, bicycle. I thought of living off campus but there is nothing really good in the neighborhood ( at least as far as what I've seen on craigslist ) and commuting is out of the question.

According to their website, you can apply for a scholarship of up to $3,000 ( whoopdee do ) and an institutional loan of up to $7,000. The rest is up to you. But they do offer a fully funded fifth year to pursue research or an MPH at another institution or to decelerate.

Hey Badger!

I'm from MN too and interviewed there earlier this month. I've yet to hear but I'm also curious about this comparison. From what I've gathered:

AECOM

I just wanted to clarify that no students are required to do research, and the majority do not. There are three-month, five-month, and year-long paid research fellowships available for those who wish to, but they are by no means necessary.

I just wanted to clarify that no students are required to do research, and the majority do not. There are three-month, five-month, and year-long paid research fellowships available for those who wish to, but they are by no means necessary.

What? I thought it was a requirement that students submit a research paper?

Oh, I forgot about that. If you don't wish to do research, you can always write a review article without engaging in any kind of formal research. But yes, you do have to cough up a paper before all is said and done (Mine was covered by my research year so I forgot all about it).

Hello everybody!

May very well be at AECOM also. Really enjoying the Einstein outreach as well, though my Aunt Alberta didn't call me. I am excited to meet all my fellow students! :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hello everybody!

May very well be at AECOM also. Really enjoying the Einstein outreach as well, though my Aunt Alberta didn't call me. I am excited to meet all my fellow students! :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i forgot 2 sign up for that uncle/aunt phoneaton.... could be help though..

I'll be at Einstein in the fall...see ya there!!

Considering Einstein as well. Right now between here and Penn State. Big thing is location for me. I am married as well, and have two dogs. So NYC is not really that great of an option for poor student with families. Plus we want to have kids during med school.

If I go to Penn State we will be able to buy a house. (Very cheap to live there). Anyway, Einstein is making it a hard choice because of all of their outreach. I really respect their efforts. :D