AECOM or SUNY Downstate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LazerMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was accepted to both schools, and can't seem to decide which to attend. I'm married with two children, live in Brooklyn, and don't really have the option of relocating. Loved the atmosphere and "fit" with Einstein, but the price and commute differences are quite significant. Hoping to match into one of the "competitive" residencies eventually ( rads, derm, anesth, etc)

PROS: Einstein seems to have a better reputation, the fit was better, and schedule is better (I'm jewish).

CONS: Location and price.

Would love to get some input.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean it's up to you, but regardless of which school you go to, your step 1 scores and pre-clinical and clinical grades are going to be more important than the reputation of the school you go to (and SUNY is still a great school). Since you are married with 2 children, I would say go with the cheaper school. It will make life a lot easier on your family if you have less debt.

Here's the costs from last year according to MSAR:

AECOM: tuition (including living expenses) $66,650 x 4 = $266,600
SUNY Downstate: tuition (including living expenses) $48,725 x 4 = $194,000

Difference: $71,700 <--- And that's money you're going to need later on.

Honestly, yes the school you go to has some impact on the residency programs, but not as much compared to the factors I mentioned and I'm sure you will still get into a great one assuming you do well in med school and on your USMLE.

Good luck!

Downstate, no question. AECOM is marginally more prestigious and perhaps offers some more research opportunities, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.