AECOM vs. Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyfuturemd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering if anybody had thoughts on the differences and advantages/disadvantages of these two schools. I went to undergrad in CT and i'm having trouble picturing myself spending another 4 years there. Although Einstein is in the Bronx, I know that I would have all the social and cultural opportunities that nyc provides. While New Haven is close to ny, it's not in it, and I don't think that as a slightly older student (i took 2 years off) I will feel comfortable with a completely school-centered social life. At the same time, I know that Yale might offer better opportunities to do research, etc. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

happyfuturemd said:
Hi all,
Just wondering if anybody had thoughts on the differences and advantages/disadvantages of these two schools. I went to undergrad in CT and i'm having trouble picturing myself spending another 4 years there. Although Einstein is in the Bronx, I know that I would have all the social and cultural opportunities that nyc provides. While New Haven is close to ny, it's not in it, and I don't think that as a slightly older student (i took 2 years off) I will feel comfortable with a completely school-centered social life. At the same time, I know that Yale might offer better opportunities to do research, etc. Thoughts?

careful about assuming that Einstein offers all of the opportunities of Manhattan to an exceedingly higher degree than new haven does. Admittedly, Einstein is a lot closer, but in terms of time and hassle, the metro north from new haven to grand central is not that much worse than a subway ride from the pelham parkway stop on the 5 to grand central or a ride on the bxm 10 from the corner of eastchester and morris park. If you have a car, it's a completely different story.

i can sympathize with a change of scenery, but I'd say Yale has more to offer than Einstein across the board.

happyfuturemd said:
Hi all,

I would go to Yale. Especially if you're interested in research. I don't think the social thing will be that much of a factor. You probably won't have enough free time to make a huge difference between the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto the remarke about MetroNorth vs. subway.

Also, consider that New Haven has far more cultural opportunities at your doorstep than one finds in the Bronx. Theater: Yale Rep, Long Wharf. Two art museums and a natural history museum on campus. Musical offerings. Film clubs. Phenomenal guest speakers at the Med School and through Yale College. The whole social scene around football at Yale Bowl. Plenty of good restaurants including many ethnic offerings.

LizzyM said:
Ditto the remarke about MetroNorth vs. subway.

Also, consider that New Haven has far more cultural opportunities at your doorstep than one finds in the Bronx. Theater: Yale Rep, Long Wharf. Two art museums and a natural history museum on campus. Musical offerings. Film clubs. Phenomenal guest speakers at the Med School and through Yale College. The whole social scene around football at Yale Bowl. Plenty of good restaurants including many ethnic offerings.

it takes over an hour to get from einstein to upper manhattan, to say nothing of getting anywhere that you might actually want to spend time. And that's during the business day when the express bus is running. at night, and on the weekends, when the trains are all ****ed up, you're not going to want to make that trip, a trip that could easily take 3 hours if you're trying to get home after midnight. yale is so so superior. that area of the bronx is has its bonuses: you can buy tamales on the street, etc., but it's sorely lacking in lifestyle necessities. there might be one decent coffee shop up there. go to yale, the curriculum is so much better.

I would chose Yale if those are your choices. Unless one really impressed you over the other, or unless the aid packages are significantly different. Otherwise... I hate to be politically incorrect, but hubcaps aren't the only thing you could lose in the bronx.

Note to lizzy: I didn't even apply to AECOM; btw, where do you go? :cool:

hm..you all have interesting points, but i'm not sure that I buy the idea that Einstein is not significantly closer to manhattan than yale is. I have a car, so that will make things much easier. I also have a lot of friends who live in manhattan and brooklyn who will let me crash on their couches if we go out at night. One of the doctors I work for said that he's known a bunch of people who went to einstein and lived in manhattan (esp. during the second two years when rotations can be all over the city). I'm wondering in what ways, other than location, that the two schools differ and why the general consensus seems to be that yale would be the better choice.
Thanks for everybody's input!

whyworldhateme? said:
I would chose Yale if those are your choices. Unless one really impressed you over the other, or unless the aid packages are significantly different. Otherwise... I hate to be politically incorrect, but hubcaps aren't the only thing you could lose in the bronx.

Note to lizzy: I didn't even apply to AECOM; btw, where do you go? :cool:

Only I can be happy around here! No one else can!!!
Mwahahahaha! :smuggrin:

happyfuturemd said:
Hi all,

I would definitely go to Yale.

happyfuturemd said:
hm..you all have interesting points, but i'm not sure that I buy the idea that Einstein is not significantly closer to manhattan than yale is. I have a car, so that will make things much easier.

A car making things easier in Manhattan?? Dream on. Traffic is a nightmare, street parking is impossible, and space in a garage costs more than some folks in mid-America pay for housing.

Parking at Yale can be a challenge but it is not as bad as NY.

LizzyM said:
A car making things easier in Manhattan?? Dream on. Traffic is a nightmare, street parking is impossible, and space in a garage costs more than some folks in mid-America pay for housing.

Parking at Yale can be a challenge but it is not as bad as NY.

I agree. You're better off taking the subway to Manhattan

happyfuturemd said:
hm..you all have interesting points, but i'm not sure that I buy the idea that Einstein is not significantly closer to manhattan than yale is. I have a car, so that will make things much easier. I also have a lot of friends who live in manhattan and brooklyn who will let me crash on their couches if we go out at night. One of the doctors I work for said that he's known a bunch of people who went to einstein and lived in manhattan (esp. during the second two years when rotations can be all over the city). I'm wondering in what ways, other than location, that the two schools differ and why the general consensus seems to be that yale would be the better choice.
Thanks for everybody's input!

as far as going out on a saturday night your car will make things marginally easier. parking can be hell (either driving forever to find a spot or coughing up a lot of money for a garage- pick your poison). your car will be more useful for that sunday afternoon you decide to go in for whatever reason. the drive from einstein to FDR Drive at about the level of the upper east side will run you about 20 minutes WITHOUT TRAFFIC. With traffic it can take a lot longer.

I am 5 years out. So I'm also looking to have a life outside dorms.... But we'll also be in med school...

I promise that abcehmu and I will go out with you in NYC whenever possible :D. Come to Yale!!!!!

As far as reputation, as the preliminary USNWR stats show, Yale is top ten and AECOM not so much. Regarding the recent "scandal", I am very skeptical about the validity on the claim. Seems a little sketchy, but time will tell if the case has any merit. I also highly doubt that it will have even the slightest affect on the rank because as has been stated in other forums, research rank is based on research money and the primary care rank is based on program results. But as far as surroundings, New Haven is a college town, with arguably more culture than the average college town, but still a college town none the less. NYC is NYC, regardless of the burrough. The Bronx itself has such a variety of atmospheres it is hard to stereotype the whole area. I read that if it were to be considered a city on its own that it would be the fifth largest city in the states and accordingly has its nicer areas and less nice areas with everything in between. The school itself is in an average neighborhood, not South Bronx, but regardless where you are you have to be aware of your surroundings. I don't live there but have been on various occasions and the subway is not that bad and the express bus to and from Manhattan (during non-traffic hours) is not bad at all. I have also ridden metro north to Valhalla and it was much longer than the subway ride to Morris Park. I would imagine that a ride to New Haven would be much longer than this. It really comes down to where you feel comfortable and where you can imagine yourself being happy. Good Luck with your decision.

wildcatbio06 said:
I have also ridden metro north to Valhalla and it was much longer than the subway ride to Morris Park. I would imagine that a ride to New Haven would be much longer than this.

By train, New Haven to mid-town Manhattan (Grand Central [MetroNorth] or "Penn Station" [Amtrak]) is between 1.5-2.0 hours.

happyfuturemd said:
Hi all,

Where did you go for undergrad? If its UConn, New Haven is completely different. I ask aslo because I transferred from Fairfield. If you dont want it public PM me.

why has everyone here forgotten that einstein is a pretty amazing school? i'm still completely undecided...but i feel like each has its advantages and disadvantages.