subzero0174

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
Status
Has anyone here ever heard of a premed/predent organization called Alpha Episilon Delta? I am considering joining, and am wondering if it is just a waste of 80 bucks. Apparently they have med school board discussions, premed advisors visit, and im sure it cant hurt my med school app :) Thanks

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
subzero0174 said:
Has anyone here ever heard of a premed/predent organization called Alpha Episilon Delta? I am considering joining, and am wondering if it is just a waste of 80 bucks. Apparently they have med school board discussions, premed advisors visit, and im sure it cant hurt my med school app :) Thanks
Join it. It's a priviledge to be a member.

DualSuperLead

dorm room revolutionary
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2004
Amarillo/San Antonio
Status
subzero0174 said:
I was/am an AED member, but the dues at my school are only 15 bucks a year. I thought it was a good organization. They scheduled volunteer events, hosted medical student discussion Q&A panels, and had a lot of interesting/important guest speakers. Like you said, at worst it won't hurt your application. I would join.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
I was a member too, but only paid the first year in dues. After that I was on the email listserv and just showed up to events that I wanted.

DrDarwin

Naturally selected
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Down House
Status
subzero0174 said:
I had never heard of this before a girl in my lab told me about it. It won't hurt to join, but Phi Beta Kappa is probably better.

txguy

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
refer to screen name
Status
Attending Physician
I am a member of AED as well--at the very least you will get to hear various people in healthcare/medicine talk, such as physicians in practice, representatives from admissions at the med schools, etc. Also, as an above poster said, you can participate in volunteer events thru AED, find physicians to shadow, etc. Being in AED reaffirmed my interests in medicine even more :thumbup:

At the most, you can be an officer and thus give AED more clout on your AMCAS application.

Whether its AED, AMSA, or any other pre-med organization, you should definitely join one of them to get some more insight on a career in medicine.

Good luck :luck:

-tx

Larsitron

Mac Addict
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Rochester, NY
Status
Medical Student
DrDarwin said:
I had never heard of this before a girl in my lab told me about it. It won't hurt to join, but Phi Beta Kappa is probably better.
AED and PBK are two totally different situations. AED is a pre-med honorary (at my school it doesn't seem to make a difference if you surveyed pre-meds who got accepted and were in it v. those who were accepted and weren't) and PBK is an honors society which is an award given via a selection committee at your school, usually when a person has reached Senior status by credits (criteria varies by school). Phi Beta Kappa is invitation only while at my college anyone can join AED provided they meet a certain GPA and participation levels.

Also, PBK isn't your standard honors society. It was the first one founded in the U.S. (1776) and has counted some pretty amazing people as members. Many of the other honors societies you hear about in the mail have been founded to sell books to people who like to see their name in print.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
AED is the best. I am a member and have been their shadowing coordinator for the past 2 years.

I think its more personable then our PAMSA because it is slightly smaller so everyone knows everyone.

subtle1epiphany

Junior Faculty
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2003
UIowa <- UNM <- MSU <- SoCal
www.msu.edu
Status
Attending Physician
I thought the OP was talking about Automatic External Defibrillators...wow... :laugh:

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was in it and was glad I did. However, I would say only do it if you have the potential of being an officer. At my school, every AED president in history had been accepted somewhere.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
subtle1epiphany said:
I thought the OP was talking about Automatic External Defibrillators...wow... :laugh:

I did too... :laugh: :laugh:

logos

100% Organic
15+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2002
Out there.
Status
Attending Physician
I'm in AED, great organization. Went to the national convention in DC last year...very good time...very cool people to party with.

DrDarwin

Naturally selected
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Down House
Status
Larsitron said:
AED and PBK are two totally different situations. AED is a pre-med honorary (at my school it doesn't seem to make a difference if you surveyed pre-meds who got accepted and were in it v. those who were accepted and weren't) and PBK is an honors society which is an award given via a selection committee at your school, usually when a person has reached Senior status by credits (criteria varies by school). Phi Beta Kappa is invitation only while at my college anyone can join AED provided they meet a certain GPA and participation levels.

Also, PBK isn't your standard honors society. It was the first one founded in the U.S. (1776) and has counted some pretty amazing people as members. Many of the other honors societies you hear about in the mail have been founded to sell books to people who like to see their name in print.
My point exactly. Thanks for justifying it.