AEGD at NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

waso

Hi there,

I've applied for the Advanced Placement Program at NYU and recently received a letter stating that the program is filled to capacity and they offered me to enroll in the AEGD Program instead, they said that this would improve my chances for getting accepted next year in the Adv. Placement Program.
I'm just wondering if anyone is in the same situation I'm in.
There is no tuition and there's normally a 30,000$ stipend for U.S graduates but not for foreign-trained dentists.

Members don't see this ad.

That's wonderful and it will improve your chances everywhere you apply next year.As long as you don't have financial commitments to them ,take your bite.It is the Big apple.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey this is a good chance and if u r keen on joining nyu next year u shud take it.....as there is a high chance that u will be accepted for advanced placement next year....(i assume advanced placement is the same as advanced standing)and plus u will gain experience...
so is there any tuition that u have to pay ?or just work..?
were u called for an interview this year at nyu?

waso said:
Hi there,

hi

i too received the same letter but i dont think we should join that.....

mallu,
can i ask wat makes u think that u shud not join the AEGD program?
i am just asking abt ur opinion here and i respect it...but i just want to know if there is any drawback in joining such a program?

starwars said:
hey this is a good chance and if u r keen on joining nyu next year u shud take it.....as there is a high chance that u will be accepted for advanced placement next year....(i assume advanced placement is the same as advanced standing)and plus u will gain experience...
so is there any tuition that u have to pay ?or just work..?
were u called for an interview this year at nyu?

hey starwars, no the program is free, here's a description of it

http://www.nyu.edu/Dental/bulletin/aepgeneral.html

mallu said:
waso said:
Hi there,

hi

i too received the same letter but i dont think we should join that.....

Why not?
I personally don't have anything else to do this year after I take my part II in a few weeks.

Hi ,
i called them up and they said that the cost for such a program is 48000$ per year and is an one year program. moreover there is no guarantee of getting a seat next year in advanced standing for that person enrolled in aegd .

so i thought so.....

thanks mallu,
i wasnt aware of such a high tuition cost... :( .i just thought that probabaly foreign trained dentists were not eligible for a stipend and thats it.....
in that case one shud go for a second thought....

that,s ok.

this network is to share the information one has.
by the way... what r u doing?

mallu said:
Hi ,
i called them up and they said that the cost for such a program is 48000$ per year and is an one year program. moreover there is no guarantee of getting a seat next year in advanced standing for that person enrolled in aegd .

so i thought so.....

Really? I'm pretty sure that he told me there is no tuition on the phone but I'll call him back just to make sure.
Thanks

u can do that.

waso.... what was ur %. and why u didn't get in nyu this year?

mallu said:
u can do that.

waso.... what was ur %. and why u didn't get in nyu this year?

Oh my God, I can't believe it, they're so good at talking u into the program and telling u that there's no stipend blah blah..., I just called them and asked about the tuition , he said 48000$!
Thanks a lot mallu! That's way too much for this program, for me at least.

Wooooooooooooow,$48,000.That is just crazy.I thought that was for international programs(unaccredited specialty program).Like everything in America,there is a catch somewhere.I can't believe they are charging that money for AEGD.Actually ,you can't blame them either.It is probably a GME funded program and if they take foriegn grads ,the govt cuts on their funds,but normally some places may take foriegn grads ,pay them nothing and make money of their work.But ,I guess here they decided to make money straight out of the student.