Aegd/gpr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crocko13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So what are the advantages to GPR's and AEGD's, what's the difference between the two for that matter?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

crocko13 said:
So what are the advantages to GPR's and AEGD's, what's the difference between the two for that matter?
Thanks.

It all depends on each individual program. Traditionally, both will take you through most or all specialty areas. The GPR programs usually (but not always) have a little more of a hospital focus, and you tend to deal more with special needs than through AEGD.

This can vary dramatically with each program, though, so look up the curriculum of the program you have in mind before applying.

Both are good for getting more confident in your skills before going out into practice. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gpr tend to be hospital based while AEGD tend to be dental school based. As noted though, each can vary and it is important to look at what one prgram offers. Not all gprs or aegds are created equal.

However, is it only to help build confidence? I thought they were good also for possibly doing certain treatment that one may be limited to in dental school, such as perio surgery, implant exposure, more complex fixed cases? Am I mistaken?

Hi,
Now all programs are different. At one time GPRs were strickly hospital and AEGD strickly dental school. More medically compromised vs more dentistry.
Today all have started to blend... you have to check each program.
Some AEGDs do the screening/tx of medically compromised for the dental school and university hospital... and some GPRs have strong implant programs..etc.

For example, our program..a GPR.. see all the pre cardiac surgery patients, pre transplant, pre irradiation, etc.... we also have every Wed afternoon - IMPLANTS, and Thursdays PM - perio, etc.

Generally a hospital based program will have on-call. Yes more work - but you will see dental emergencies yo didn't see in dental school - avulsed teeth, acute I&Ds, trauma.

Best to give programs a call... ask to visit.. ask to speak to current residents.

if we can be of any help just call

Gotcha,
I was thinking there was overlap between the two and not a well defined difference. But besides more exposure, what are most students trying to get out of either program. Will they help to specialize further?
Thanks.

crocko13 said:
Gotcha,
I was thinking there was overlap between the two and not a well defined difference. But besides more exposure, what are most students trying to get out of either program. Will they help to specialize further?
Thanks.

Sure, many students use them as a stepping stone of sorts into a specialty program.