AEGD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on Advanced Education in General Dentistry?

How long does it take to get an AEGD?

What exactly does an AEGD program contain?

WHat advantages does it have over general dent?

Is it worth it?

How competitive is it to get in?

Any other info you might think of would be great!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

AEGD is a post-graduate residency program, usually 1 year.

You basically spend the first year after graduation back in dental school (some people say AEGD is like a fifth year of dental school) to learn advanced techniques and improve your speed. You work in the school clinics treating patients, and go on rotations in peds, anesthesia, OMFS, etc.

My sister highly recommends doing some sort of general practice residency if you want to stay in general dentistry-- Either AEGD or hospital-based GPR. It made getting a good associateship easier for her.

How competitive a program is depends on the school.

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether or not it's worth it.

HTH!

I wish I did one. My first year out was tough - but now its been about 14 - 15 months out and things are starting to click. AEGD's are good because you can do a variety of things - therefore improving all your skills. The first 8 months out I was in a HMO clinic and all I did was amalgams and Exo's. Sounds like fun doesn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies guys,

One more question, do you get paid while you do your AEGD, like how you get a salary during med residencies?

AEGD's and GPR's are usually paid around the same, avg. pay is around $30-40k/yr. Higher in bigger cities, lower is smaller areas.

I think these programs are gold. They provide access to care for a lot of underserved people, plus you see some more complex cases than what you might see in private practice. It is an excellent bridge from dental school to private practice.

The good programs give you a lot of freedom on what you would like to do with your career. Whether you want to focus on specialty areas, research, etc., you can learn so much.

I recommend these programs to so many people in dental school. Be sure to help keep these programs going by voting yes for GME funding...

Is it difficult to enter one of these programs?

Do you know how competitive GPR/AEGD's are? I heard it's kind of tough to get in....

rob

I think there are PLENTY of available GPR/AEGD seats that nobody matches with each year.

The reason there are seats open? They aren't in areas where people want to go.

So the top programs are VERY competitive (just like ANY specialty), but if you REALLY want to do a PGY-1, then you can find a spot if you are willing to be flexible.

Originally posted by jaap
AEGDs pay significantly less than GPRs.

Whats the difference between the 2 programs?

In lay terms, GPRs are hospital-based PGY-1s, whereas AEGDs are school-based PGY-1s.

Some programs might deviate from this broad generalization, but it holds true for 95% of the programs out there.

AEGD will focus more on clinical dentistry, giving you experience in deeper areas of endo, pros, perio, ortho, etc.

GPR will focus on dentistry as part of the hospital team, especially anes., radiology, general trauma, etc.

Both programs can be equally good, although some can be very crappy. This is especially true of GPR programs, where often the dental students are fed an unusual amount of scut.

Because the AEGDs are usually associated with dental schools, there is a tendancy to refrain from scut being shoved towards the resident.

GPR residents are treated as hospital residents just like MD/DO residents. You have hospital privs to the same extent, which also means you have call, etc.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC

The reason there are seats open? They aren't in areas where people want to go.

So the top programs are VERY competitive

Hi Gavin,

according to you and to what you heard, what would be the ten most competitive and the ten easiest to get into programs?

thx!

Good question. I don't really know, so I can't answer it.

If I had to venture a guess I would say the most competitive GPR programs are those that are at major hospitals in desireable locations. I'm sure people would rather do their GPR in San Francisco or Seattle or NY, rather than Iowa or Kentucky.

Of course, it just depends.

Can anybody else answer this question directly?

I think the ASDA guide to post-doc programs printed the ratios of how many are accepted vs how many apply. But I don't have that info here in front of me right now. If there is a specific program you want to know about, I'll look it up.

Actually, I think a lot more people choose their AEGD/GPRs based more on the experiences they want to have. For example, I would love to go to Boston for post-grad. Harvard has an affiliated GPR which is in an area I really liked.link However, I've spoken with a resident who completed that program and they work the residents like dogs. She had 110 hour work weeks and her on-call experiences involved things like gun-shot wounds. Neither of those details appeals to me, so I didn't apply to this GPR.

On the same token, I applied to an AEGD in San Francisco. An AEGD resident at my school in Buffalo who interviewed at San Fran told me that the Buffalo AEGD is a lot nicer in terms of facility, experience, and pay. But I told him, I didn't care. I don't want to live in Buffalo anymore, so I don't care what the AEGD in SF is like. I'll go there based solely on the fact of its location.

So different things come into play for AEGD/GPRs. Me, I'm looking for things like location, experience with kids, minimal oral surgery experience, less on call. So I'm not going to be applying to the level-1 trauma centers (too much oral surgery) or to any VA residencies (no kids). Some people might want to learn more about implants, so they'll seek out the residencies where they do implants. There really isn't a GPR/AEGD that is so lucrative, everyone wants to go there. Instead, there are so many to choose from.

And there are always spots open after the match, so anybody who wants to do a GPR/AEGD will be able to. You don't have to worry about not getting one. It might not be your first choice or the most desirable location or facility, but it'll be a GPR.

Nevermind the pay...do you get to maintain "in school" status during the AEGD so that you don't have to start paying back your student loans?

Yes, the AEGD or GPR are considered to be post-graduate training, which is a higher level of education. Most commonly those in the programs refer to them as "residencies". As such, all loans are deferred until the completion of training.