Aerospace engineering for flight surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lone Droid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently in college, and can't decide between three majors: Neurobiology and physiology, bio-engineering, or aerospace engineering. I will apply to the navy HPSP, and want to be a flight surgeon. I like to think far because it keeps me motivated :) I like all 3 majors, can aerospace engineering contribute me something in becoming a navy flight surgeon? If not, should I do Neurobiology and physiology or bio-engineering?
If you have any suggestions I will be glad to hear :)

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

You should do what interests you the most if you don't end up in medicine. Also a 4.0 in art history is better than a 3.0 in some hard major you don't like (in most cases)

Reactions: 1 user
Becoming a flight surgeon is not hard, you just have to volunteer for it during your intern year and you'll get it. Getting into medical school is the hard part.

Just do well in college, do well on the MCAT, check off the boxes that admissions offices like to see, get into medical school and the rest will fall into place.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do what interest you most. It has no bearing on your medical goals (excluding the impact on your grades) and statistically the odds are literally about 1/150 that you'll go through with medical school let alone your specific aspirations to be a naval flight surgeon. I say that not to disregard your current goals but to put the emphasis on what is valuable to you in and of itself not because you think it will be useful if you follow a distant and specific goal.

For what it's worth, I did electrical engineering and wish I had done aerospace just because it's such a cool subject and I might have gotten my pilot's license.

If you pick Aerospace or Biomedical Engineering, you may have to take some extra classes to meet prereqs. If this is at the school that I'm guessing, the required courses for the Neurobiology and Physiology major will fill the prereqs for just about every school. Not a deal breaker for those two majors, but something to keep in mind.

On a totally unrelated note

Hello,

I am currently in college, and can't decide between three majors: Neurobiology and physiology, bio-engineering, or aerospace engineering. I will apply to the navy HPSP, and want to be a flight surgeon. I like to think far because it keeps me motivated :) I like all 3 majors, can aerospace engineering contribute me something in becoming a navy flight surgeon? If not, should I do Neurobiology and physiology or bio-engineering?
If you have any suggestions I will be glad to hear :)

Thank you very much!

Good reasons to choose a college major as a premed
1) You like it/find it meaningful
2) Its the cheapest way to get a college degree
3) Its the fastest way to get a college degree (especially if it includes the medical school prereqs)
4) It leads to a stable/enjoyable/high paying job if medical school doesn't work out (somewhere north of 95% of premeds don't become doctors)
5) It teaches you Spanish.

Nothing about any of those majors will prepare you to be a flight surgeon, and by the time you get done with medical school you won't want to be one anyway.

My advice:
1) If you do choose an engineering degree, Intern/Co-Op in engineering. It takes 9 months to line up one of those so start searching on Day 1. Its the only way to evaluate engineering as a possible job and its very impressive resume/application filler. Also make sure you sign up for CAD in your first semester, since you can't get an engineering Internship without it.
2) Learn Spanish. Not just at home either, spend a semester abroad learning Spanish if you have any interest in healthcare at all.

And plenty of pilots do just fine without an aerospace engineering degree so don't think you will need it as a flight doc.

If you are serious about medicine, then a major in statistics and/or Spanish would be way more beneficial than any of the degrees that you have just listed.

If I don't get into medical school, there is nothing I can do with a Spanish major unlike engineering

If I don't get into medical school, there is nothing I can do with a Spanish major unlike engineering

You don't need a major in Spanish, but it is still useful. Your what if reasoning is in the right place though. Go STEM/Finance and even if you don't get in you'll be able to find a job somewhere. And to rehash the themes above, just do what ever interests you + Spanish.