Aerospace Engineering Pre-Med... In a rut, where do I stand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anisole

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to be a doctor since high school. Instead of choosing a traditional pre-med major, I chose aerospace and aeronautical engineering at one of the top 10 programs in this field because it's an interest and also serves as a good plan B. I am a junior, applying in the summer and taking the MCAT in June. I am not URM (I'm white) and I am not disadvantaged.

My stats are not that good for MD. GPA is 3.58. Notable courses with poor grades are the following:

Anatomy and Physiology I: C
Aeromechanics: C
Calculus 3 (multivariate): C+

I also got a B in each organic chemistry course.

My biggest issue is that it seems like I have a downward trend so far. This past fall semester I got 2 C's and 3 B's, with no A's.

My questions are the following:

1) I can push my gpa to a 3.6 if I average an A- average every semester. I know I can do well and this past semester I just slacked off uncharacteristically. I plan to ace biochemistry and anatomy and physiology II next semester.

2) I understand that undergrad major is typically said to "not matter", but would an under-average gpa in an aerospace engineering major at a respected university be forgiven?

3) Should I begin to focus on DO instead of MD? I current aspirations are internal medicine then cardiology.

Members don't see this ad.

1.) Your major doesn't really matter; GPA rules.
2.) A 3.6 will not be lethal for MD programs. Combine with a strong MCAT and good ECs and you'll be fine.
3.) The C in A&P is troubling regardless of how much you apparently slacked off. Cs get degrees but they don't make doctors. Figure out why you did poorly (IE don't just blame it on your slacking) and bust your butt from here on out.

Dude...
You could get a 3.74 potentially
I assuming you have 75 credits
45 left
Take an extra class and get all As and you could get a 3.74
No A-

What are your ECs?
You ace the MCAT and have great ECs you could get into a top 20 potentially

It isn't over yet

Members don't see this ad :)
You need a strong MCAT performance, some adcoms may give you slack for being an engineering major especially at a rigorous school.

Props on the engineering degree. So much more valuable than my BS in Bio..

Reactions: 2 users
you know I have a similar problem as you; a ton of B's in my engineering/physics requirements brining my GPA to about what yours is. i'm at a top 10 engineering as well

I have a general downward trend too, but mainly because you are suppose to take your major reqs junior year......

hopefully the MCAT and our course schedule saves us both!

Dude...
You could get a 3.74 potentially
I assuming you have 75 credits
45 left
Take an extra class and get all As and you could get a 3.74
No A-

What are your ECs?
You ace the MCAT and have great ECs you could get into a top 20 potentially

It isn't over yet

Thanks for the kind words, but I only have 1 more semester that matters for my application. The adcoms only have the first 3 years of grades to look at. With a 4.0 next semester my grades can increase to a 3.65 at most (78 credits so far. Taking 15 next semester)... But realistically speaking, I will probably get 1 A- at the very least. So we are looking at a 3.63 cGPA and 3.56 sGPA after next semester.

I'm taking TPR MCAT prep starting March (ultimate liveonline), and I can see myself getting a 514, realistically. So I hope that these stats are okay.