AF assignments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scsh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If there is anyone else out there who is entering active duty AF in June (following civilian residency):

Do you happen to know the specific date when assignments will be sent out?

Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

They will be sent out later than what you want. I never had enough notice....

They will be sent out later than what you want. I never had enough notice....

Bumping...

I am dying to hear about AF FM assignments. I was told in the March timeframe" which was later amended to "late March, early April". Can people who went through the assignments process out of residency please share the dates and how (email, phone, US mail) they recv'd the news?

Thanks!
Megan

Members don't see this ad :)
It's different for every specialty, and even different year to year within the same speciality. Last year we found out the last day in April via individual e-mails. This year the AF anesthesiologists found out via a group e-mail March 2nd. Around here, some specialities have all received their assignments and others are still waiting. Even after you have your assignment, just be aware it could change. Every year I know several docs that have their assignments changed. Best wishes, I sympathize with the waiting game.

It's different for every specialty, and even different year to year within the same speciality. Last year we found out the last day in April via individual e-mails. This year the AF anesthesiologists found out via a group e-mail March 2nd. Around here, some specialities have all received their assignments and others are still waiting. Even after you have your assignment, just be aware it could change. Every year I know several docs that have their assignments changed. Best wishes, I sympathize with the waiting game.

Thanks for the reply Tronad. At least now I know that it will likely be via email. When you said "we" what specialty did you mean? Are you FM?

Once there was an Air Force doctor who never got an assignment. He took a week of leave after finishing residency but never came back because he had no assignment. They forget he existed but continued to pay him. Every year he would complete an annual drug test and physical fitness test. Shortly before his 4-year payback expired, the Air Force re-discovered him and tried to make him do another 4 years. Suffice it to say, he was able to get out and literally did nothing for 4 years earning a paycheck.

Once there was an Air Force doctor who never got an assignment. He took a week of leave after finishing residency but never came back because he had no assignment. They forget he existed but continued to pay him. Every year he would complete an annual drug test and physical fitness test. Shortly before his 4-year payback expired, the Air Force re-discovered him and tried to make him do another 4 years. Suffice it to say, he was able to get out and literally did nothing for 4 years earning a paycheck.

"Guys, I was on active duty. Not my fault you never assigned me anywhere."

Legendary.

Just livin the dream, that's awesome.

When it was all said and done, the command was pretty reasonable about it. They gave him a plaque with Air Force planes that said "MAJ xxxxx yyyyyy" and something like ""To have served and never served" or something. It was pretty funny.

Last edited: