AF COT questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llort

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Do we get reimbursed for uniform expenses (approx 2k) or do we just have to suck it up?

2. How much do we get paid on those 45 AD days?

3. Is it a good idea to bring a car? or not necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

1. You get a uniform allowance, but I remember that it didn't cover the full cost of all of the uniforms. 2k sounds like a lot more than I spent on uniforms.
2. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I think it was about 3-4000.
3. A car is definitely not necessary; it would just be a convenience. I didn't bring a car and I just rode with someone else if we went out to eat or to pick-up dry cleaning or whatever. Just buddy up with someone else who has a car.

llort said:
1. Do we get reimbursed for uniform expenses (approx 2k) or do we just have to suck it up?

2. How much do we get paid on those 45 AD days?

3. Is it a good idea to bring a car? or not necessary?

llort are you going to be at COT this summer? If so, what class? I'll be there during the month of July.

Members don't see this ad :)
chriseli said:
llort are you going to be at COT this summer? If so, what class? I'll be there during the month of July.

I'm there for 05-06, during july, too!

how do you sign up for COT? I'm getting commissioned on monday, will I find out after that?

thanks

My recruiter submitted my date request to AFIT with my final packet. AFIT informed me a week or so later via email that I would be in the June Class. (Darn, I wanted to go in March but they woudln't let me).

My packet just went in, but hopefully (*crosses fingers*) I'll be in the June class, too. :)

I'm interested in knowing a little bit about COT - what to expect - both physically and mentally. I just signed on the HPSP, and the military is brand new to me. Any help would be great.

I went summer 2003. It was not quite as cush as my recruiter told me it would be. He told me that I would be staying my own hotel room with a kitchenette. We ended up staying in dorms. We each had a roommate and the dorms did not have a phone, tv, towels, etc. There were a billion rules. You always had to be in uniform if you left your dorm room. You had to eat on campus in the gross cafeteria for the first couple of weeks.
They didn't waste anytime in starting the training. As soon as you get off of the bus, they have you strap on a utility belt and you have to march in formation to different locations (the dorm, the px, etc).(So wear comfortable clothes and shoes on the plane!)
There will be nobody to help you with your luggage, so don't bring too much stuff. Food is not allowed in the dorms, so don't bother bringing any snacks. Most days, you wake up at 4am and do PT. Then you spend long days in the freezing cold classroom until about 5pm. Then you back to your room and polish your boots, iron your uniforms, study and then go to bed. You will also have days where you get blood drawn, get immunized (even if your immunizations are up to date and you have your record with you). You will go the gas chamber.
The first two weeks everyone is really tough on you. Apparently, they have been trying to "toughen up" COT a little. Then, things lighten up towards the end. You get to do some fun obstacle courses and go out the field and pretend to run a field hospital. You get off campus privileges and you end up making lots of great friends with the people in your flight. My flight all drove to Florida together during one of the weekends.
All-in-all, it was actually a great experience. It was hard in the beginning for me, because it was not quite the "vacation" that my recruiter had described. :)
Also, we have it waaay better than the Basic Officer Training. And if you happen to be prior enlisted, you will just laugh your way through the training. My roommate was prior enlisted and she thought it was so easy.
By the way, make friends with someone in your class who had prior service, because they will be able to help you put together your uniform.

grayce79 said:
I went summer 2003. It was not quite as cush as my recruiter told me it would be. He told me that I would be staying my own hotel room with a kitchenette. We ended up staying in dorms. We each had a roommate and the dorms did not have a phone, tv, towels, etc. There were a billion rules. You always had to be in uniform if you left your dorm room. You had to eat on campus in the gross cafeteria for the first couple of weeks.
They didn't waste anytime in starting the training. As soon as you get off of the bus, they have you strap on a utility belt and you have to march in formation to different locations (the dorm, the px, etc).(So wear comfortable clothes and shoes on the plane!)
There will be nobody to help you with your luggage, so don't bring too much stuff. Food is not allowed in the dorms, so don't bother bringing any snacks. Most days, you wake up at 4am and do PT. Then you spend long days in the freezing cold classroom until about 5pm. Then you back to your room and polish your boots, iron your uniforms, study and then go to bed. You will also have days where you get blood drawn, get immunized (even if your immunizations are up to date and you have your record with you). You will go the gas chamber.
The first two weeks everyone is really tough on you. Apparently, they have been trying to "toughen up" COT a little. Then, things lighten up towards the end. You get to do some fun obstacle courses and go out the field and pretend to run a field hospital. You get off campus privileges and you end up making lots of great friends with the people in your flight. My flight all drove to Florida together during one of the weekends.
All-in-all, it was actually a great experience. It was hard in the beginning for me, because it was not quite the "vacation" that my recruiter had described. :)
Also, we have it waaay better than the Basic Officer Training. And if you happen to be prior enlisted, you will just laugh your way through the training. My roommate was prior enlisted and she thought it was so easy.
By the way, make friends with someone in your class who had prior service, because they will be able to help you put together your uniform.

The double occupancy rooms with maid service (yes, maid service) were nicer than any college dorm room I had ever set foot in. Although they were out of blankets the first two days so i slept with my towels. Because of a fire in a new dorm they were building down at OTS, last year they billeted some kids in the base hotel for like a week. Think flat screen tvs...

Hooah

Any info on the PT?? How hard should I be pushing myself now in the "off-season"? Do they tar and feather you if you can't keep up?

Anybody have an estimate as to how much one would need money-wise to get through COT, while not depending on getting paid until after COT? I am talking about uniforms, food, other expenses for the entire time. I am trying to do my budget and I think I might be able to pull it off myself without begging my parents to loan me money (which I absolutely refuse to do).

i think the uniforms cost somewhere around $800-1000 bucks. you'll need cash for food everyday but it's pretty cheap. you can probably eat for $6-8 dollars per day in the cafeteria so $200-250 for food. Then plan on some other expenses like dry cleaning, weekend trips, movies, etc. i would reccomend signing up for the military star credit card on your first day at the clothing place. you get 10% off your first purchase so you save around $100 on uniforms right off the bat, plus there is a no-interest period for a while. your paychecks should be direct deposited directly into your checking account while you're at COT so you should have access to that too. and the money is very good. you make close to $4500 for the month plus a few hundred dollars in uniform reimbursements and travel expenses. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently things toughened up a lot since I was there June 2001 - we were at the Gunter Annex (Montgomery AFB) and they had us in two bed rooms, but we didn't have roommates, and there was air conditioning and cable tv for when I was sitting in my room polishing the crap out of my boots every night. The bathrooms DID adjoin though, but fortunately me and my suitemate got along.

You do indeed have to wear your "uniforms" every time you leave your room, but I seem to remember that was only through the first weekend or so. It sucks because for some reason the air force decided blue short shorts would look good. I tended to get up ~4:00 AM so we could make muster and do PT; PT was kind of a joke since we had all ages there - there was a minimum requirement, but I think if you didn't meet it (one of the guys in my flight was like a 56 year old chaplain who wasn't in the best of shape) they just noted it and moved on. I was running about three miles a day the few weeks before COT and made it through easily. Nowadays, of course, three miles would kill me....

A lot of COT will all be in your outlook. Marching in formations will be absolutely useless for your future, but if you look at it as just another skill to pick up, it's actually vaguely fun and kind of impressive looking. Some people thought it was just playing at being soldiers and would gripe about it and be miserable all day. I had a blast since if you learn fairly quickly they don't yell at you too much and are actually pretty patient with you. They will yell at you and be sticklers for the first week or two, and then they get nicer and nicer as COT goes on - we actually went out to dinner with our flight officer our last day and just hung out. You also get opportunities to bond with your flight (if you choose to) - we hung out at the on-base bar once or twice, went out to eat off base, and one free weekend we went to the Florida shore to relax. Leadership exercises are crazy fun, we were griping because we didn't get to do the confidence course, we missed the gassing chamber (which is half good, half bad), and we had to do the big exercise out of the auditorium; you definitely feel lame eating your MRE while sitting in the auditorium.

Those were good times though- me and my flight still e-mail every so often, and one of the guys from my flight showed up in the peds clinic with his kids when I was rotating through for peds; he recognized me right away - I did too, but apparently I had his face associated with the wrong name- DOH!!!! :laugh:

P.S. I forget - drug testing; as soon as you even mildly start feeling like you have to go GET IN LINE!!! Everyone seemed to suddenly have to go at the same time, and there are not very many people to accompany you to the toilet to get your sample. (And yes they accompany you all the way) Nothing sucks more than being fifty people back while vainly trying to hold four canteens-worth of water in your bladder. Immunizations - they let us off our year if we had our full records. I didn't, so they give you the full range in both arms and you feel kind of crappy for an hour or two. Uniforms - they paid for most of our as previous posts said - the "Look Sharp!" uniform guide saved my life; hang on to it because when I went on my first ADT three years later I had totally forgotten what stinking piece goes with which uniform of the day! And a lighter definitely comes in handy for burning the loose threads off your uniform

Out of curiosity, what kind of shoes should I be getting for COT? I am trying to decide between cross-trainers and running shoes. Are we going to do enough running activities to warrant buying the more expensive running shoes? Or are we going to do enough non-running activities to go for the cross-trainers?

tran1123 said:
Out of curiosity, what kind of shoes should I be getting for COT? I am trying to decide between cross-trainers and running shoes. Are we going to do enough running activities to warrant buying the more expensive running shoes? Or are we going to do enough non-running activities to go for the cross-trainers?

I think the most you would ever run in a day would be 2-3 miles. Either would be fine. When you do the different obstacle courses, you will be wearing you combat boots, not tennis shoes.

Guys, i'm currently an instructor at COT (on here because i plan on going to Dental School next year). If you have any other questions, feel free to post and i'll try and reply.

grayce79 said:
2. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but I think it was about 3-4000.

1 and a half months of 2nd Lieutenant pay. :)

futrAFdentist said:
Guys, i'm currently an instructor at COT (on here because i plan on going to Dental School next year). If you have any other questions, feel free to post and i'll try and reply.
Are the women allowed to wear princess cut shirts?
Do you suggest having all uniform items ready before arriving at OTS, or purchasing upon arrival?
What type of boots do you reccomend?

kaikai128 said:
Do you suggest having all uniform items ready before arriving at OTS, or purchasing upon arrival?

We purchased the stuff as a big group when we arrived - it's is a madhouse because you're on a schedule and there were a LOT of us...

kaikai128 said:

Yes you may wear Princess cut blouses. I prefer them because you don't need the blousing straps, which are a huge hassle. I had my uniforms before I arrived, but there is ample time to acquire everything when you're there. I used my "extra" time for phone calls, naps, and studying. As for boots, try on as many kinds as you can. Get the ones that are the most comfortable for you. It will really depend on your foot- high arch, wide, narrow, etc.

1. should we get our military ID before going? if so, how do we get a ARPC Form 92 (needed to get ID according to AFIT site)?

2. Should we purchase uniform items that have (seasonal) next to them on the list?

thanks

Hello, I'm a newcomer to this site, and have also recently signed on for the AF HPSP. I'll be in the June COT, just writing to see if I can get to know some fellow classmates before the summer.

I'm June COT also. are you guys going to buy uniforms before hand? or just wait and buy them at maxwell?

see you in montgomery.

I am planning on buying some of the uniforms before June COT. The major who commissioned me said that at COT, there are so many people getting stuff that they don't have time to do a good job of doing alterations on the uniforms ... or in some cases, not at all (something I refuse to deal with if I don't have to). The only thing that I know for sure is that the PT clothes must be obtained at Maxwell, so that the class will look uniform.

llort said:
I'm June COT also. are you guys going to buy uniforms before hand? or just wait and buy them at maxwell?

see you in montgomery.
I am planning on making a trip to the nearest AF base with my recruiter to get my uniforms (and ID I hope) in the next few weeks. I will also be in the June COT. If anyone is interested in keeping in touch/meeting up the day before we check in for dinner or something let me know--I would definately like to meet up with ppl before approaching the Maxwell gates. :)

I'm planning on taking care of as much of the uniform as I can before I go down there. I also heard there is a $500 tuxedo-like uniform that is only needed for one night. I was told to just rent this while I'm down at COT.

I'd also like to meet up with some people before the training if possible. I'll be driving, so I can be in the area a day or so early.

dekedog said:
I'm planning on taking care of as much of the uniform as I can before I go down there. I also heard there is a $500 tuxedo-like uniform that is only needed for one night. I was told to just rent this while I'm down at COT.

I'd also like to meet up with some people before the training if possible. I'll be driving, so I can be in the area a day or so early.

I bought all of my uniforms in advance, and it was a huge help. If you have time, go ahead and buy your subdued butter-bars and name plates for your BDUs and have them sewn on. You will be very happy you did. I also got the USAF uniform guide book, which was very helpful for putting your blues together for the first few times. I still use it, because I've only had my blues on about twice since before med school, and you tend to forget. I was told that you cannot rent your mess-dress (tux) unless you are a chaplain, that it is a requirement. Maybe the rules have changed, or maybe they were blowing smoke up my ass, I'm not sure. I would clarify that. Have fun- see you all around I'm sure!

dekedog said:

Medical Corps personnel are supposed to purchase the Mess Dress uniform. Chaplains have the option of renting one while in Montgomery. Last summer a couple of the FTOs (flight training officers) did an inspection of their flights wearing the Mess Dress to make sure that everyone who was supposed to have purchased one actually did.

Just shell out the bucks. As a physician, you'll be expected to attend formal affairs while on active duty and have to wear Mess Dress then anyway.

As I said, i'm one of those FTOs (now Flight Commanders) and the Mess Dress uniform is a requirement for all AF officers minus the chaplains. Good luck in preparation. It's best to get your uniforms while you're here (we build time into the schedule); however during the summer when we have 350 students it does make it interesting. If you buy before you come here, understand you will not be able to return the items at Maxwell and you'll be responsible for all alteration costs.

I know that they suggest having a computer @ COT...I was just wondering if we need a printer, or how useful a printer would be if we took one of our own?

Thanks!

The new dorm is not wired yet to support a computer lab. You'll have a printer in your flight room, and access to the OTS computer lab w/ printers. If it's not too much of an issue to bring, i'd bring your printer with you. It will help you w/ morale letters, and writing type assignments.

futrAFdentist said:
The new dorm is not wired yet to support a computer lab. You'll have a printer in your flight room, and access to the OTS computer lab w/ printers. If it's not too much of an issue to bring, i'd bring your printer with you. It will help you w/ morale letters, and writing type assignments.

I am not bringing a computer. I am flying and dont have a laptop. I assume it is no problem if we dont bring computer?

llort said:
I am not bringing a computer. I am flying and dont have a laptop. I assume it is no problem if we dont bring computer?

You'll be fine w/o your own computer. Around 60% of the class will bring one, so sharing is not really an issue. Also, you have plenty of access between the flightrooms, AU library, and the OTS computer lab.

Hey All

Just wanted to take a moment to say hello to all of you after recently being notified of my acceptance into the AF HPSP. My recruiter requested the June Officers Training so I look forward to meeting all of those whom are heading to COT in june. As for uniforms I'm thinking that I will purchase upon arrival it seems it will save us some money with the discount and alternations available. As for training I'm looking forward to it.

Discount? Have I missed something? Also, alterations can be done at any base, you just have to have the alterations done on the same base that you purchase the uniforms at. Please let me know if there is some sort of discount though, as I am supposed to go pick up my uniforms next week. :)

Donka

kaikai128 said:
Discount? Have I missed something? Also, alterations can be done at any base, you just have to have the alterations done on the same base that you purchase the uniforms at. Please let me know if there is some sort of discount though, as I am supposed to go pick up my uniforms next week. :)

Donka

The discount is if you're using the AAFES DPP Credit Program. You get 10% off your first purchase. Low interest, it's a good deal with the amount of uniforms you'll be buying.

kaikai128 said:

Donka

sorry for the confusion futrafdentist answered your question though

I went through the 93 version of COT while in Optometry school. COT and other AF schools are what you make of them. If you plan on having a bad time, you will. If you put out some effort, see past some of the "Mickey Mouse" stuff and have a good attitude, you will do fine and actually enjoy it. In fact, the same attitude is true for active duty and the rest of life.

The amount of money that you get as an uniform allowance, $200 for your entire time as a commission officer, will go by awefully fast. If money is an issue, get the Military Star card and put your uniform items on the Uniform account. This portion of the Star card can only be used in the Military Clothing Sales Store for uniform and uniform related items. The interest rate is a whopping 0%. If I have to buy a large uniform purchase, I use it. The Star card for regular purchases is around 9%, but it is only good on base.

Good luck, bring a good attitude and welcome to the Air Force.

BK

Just wanted to say hi to my fellow AF HPSP Recipients. I just got word from AFIT that I will be attending the June COT. I look forward to getting to know all of you in Montgomery, Alabama. Has anyone thought about whether they are going to be bring a small suitcase or a duffle bag, sorry just curious? Also, is anyone planning on driving to the base ? See you all shortly

---
Chris

DrChris23 said:
Just wanted to say hi to my fellow AF HPSP Recipients. I just got word from AFIT that I will be attending the June COT. I look forward to getting to know all of you in Montgomery, Alabama. Has anyone thought about whether they are going to be bring a small suitcase or a duffle bag, sorry just curious? Also, is anyone planning on driving to the base ? See you all shortly

---
Chris

remember that you will have to transport your uniforms home, so a small suitcase or duffle bag may not cut it. I'm flying.

llort said:
remember that you will have to transport your uniforms home, so a small suitcase or duffle bag may not cut it. I'm flying.

I would suggest bringing the standard military duffel bag. You will be doing a field training exercise (FTX), and it comes in handy then as well as when it's time to take all those new uniforms home. You'll also need it when you're active duty for deployment... may as well invest in something that you'll use a bit.

any one know if we can buy the shiny corfram shoes or do we have to buy the black leather ones that we have to shine ourselves? same with boots, is their a specific pair that we have to buy?

thanks

llort said:
any one know if we can buy the shiny corfram shoes or do we have to buy the black leather ones that we have to shine ourselves? same with boots, is their a specific pair that we have to buy?

thanks

There will be a scheduled appointment where you'll go over to AAFES (Military Clothing Sales) to buy all of this stuff. They have the Clorframs and normal leather dress shoes. Either one is okay. Boots is another issue. Only one type at the AAFES you'll be going to. Recommend getting with your recruiter and taking a trip to AAFES at a local base prior to coming here and getting some good boots. Start shining them and breaking them in...you'll be a lot better off. Also the military duffel is offered and typically bought at your first trip when you get to COT.

llort said:

thanks

stay away from coroframs!! it's like locking your feet in a sweat box, and they end up stinking like a hog farm..... :barf: (plus plastic shoes are pretty cheesy) a nice pair of leather ones, on the other hand, can grow as comfortable as a pair of sneakers (with the right insoles).

shining your shoes is not difficult, and it is a great thing to do as you watch TV. once you build up a base, adding a shine can take two seconds.

I'm waiting (impatiently) on the April board results. My recruiter had told me that all HPSP folks would be in the June class, but I can see here that that does not seem to be the case. I don't suppose anyone can shed some light on whether to expect June or July COT at this point? The (revised) estimated release date for April boards was the 22nd, and I just heard today that it may not be until sometime next week, and then I have no idea how long after that until I would get a definite COT date. My boss is being as understanding as he can, but he's starting to get antsy about a final day, not to mention the apartment complex, movers, and arranging housing at my school...

I realize yall probably don't have a huge lot more information than I do, but any smidgen of insight would really help me out. :/

thanks for the info so far, I went to the nearest AFB last weekend and purchased some stuff of the uniform list. a couple questions though..

1. BDU-Bright Rank- is this just the single gold metal bars? do we pin them on our BDU cap?

2. Service Dress-
a. do we need to buy a service cap or just a flight cap?
b. what is the Bright Rank Insignia? is it the same as the bright rank for the BDUs?
c. do we need to buy ribbons yet?
d. what is the Specialty Badge? Do we buy it yet?

3. Mess Dress
Miniature Medals/Miniature Medal mount- do we just ignore this if we have no prior service?

thanks

BabyDoctor said:
I'm waiting (impatiently) on the April board results. My recruiter had told me that all HPSP folks would be in the June class, but I can see here that that does not seem to be the case. I don't suppose anyone can shed some light on whether to expect June or July COT at this point? The (revised) estimated release date for April boards was the 22nd, and I just heard today that it may not be until sometime next week, and then I have no idea how long after that until I would get a definite COT date. My boss is being as understanding as he can, but he's starting to get antsy about a final day, not to mention the apartment complex, movers, and arranging housing at my school...

I realize yall probably don't have a huge lot more information than I do, but any smidgen of insight would really help me out. :/

BabyDoctor from what I've heard all 120 spots for the June COT have been filled as of the last week in april.

DrChris23 said:
BabyDoctor from what I've heard all 120 spots for the June COT have been filled as of the last week in april.

Great to know. Thank you!!

llort said:
thanks for the info so far, I went to the nearest AFB last weekend and purchased some stuff of the uniform list. a couple questions though..

1. BDU-Bright Rank- is this just the single gold metal bars? do we pin them on our BDU cap?

2. Service Dress-
a. do we need to buy a service cap or just a flight cap?
b. what is the Bright Rank Insignia? is it the same as the bright rank for the BDUs?
c. do we need to buy ribbons yet?
d. what is the Specialty Badge? Do we buy it yet?

3. Mess Dress
Miniature Medals/Miniature Medal mount- do we just ignore this if we have no prior service?

thanks

1. Yes. I prefer to sew on cloth rank, so the frogs (metal backs) don't press into your forehead. I wouldn't in your case, though, because they might want to standardize and pinning on metal rank is easier to change than sewing on cloth rank. You can also get subdued rank for the BDU cap. Easy to change out though.

2.a. Probably just a flight cap. Nobody owns the service caps generally. I've been teasing some new Major friends, because technically they're required to by reg.

2.b. Yes

2.c. Are you entitled to any ribbons yet?

2.d. No idea, but probably not.

3. Yes, I'd ignore it. If they want you to wear the training ribbon you'll earn while you're there (might also earn some "in the military during a war" ribbons, like National Defense) then you can buy it while you're at COT.

A commercial company makes a little booklet for putting your uniform together, complete with a little ruler. I highly recommend it.