AF dentistry questions from Pre-dental student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lln002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to dental school for this 2009 cycle.

Is it a good idea to sign up for the AF before getting accepted to dental school? I heard from a friend who is in the AF, she said that if I join the AF before I get accepted into dental school ( 1 year before acceptance), then I will gain rank faster. But I'm afraid of the fineprints that the armed forces have out there.

Can I pick my place of deployment once I graduate from dental school?

Do I have to wait for the AF to accept me into their officer program? or will they just accept me to be an AF officer once they know i got accepted to dental school?

If I talk to a recruiter, can I really trust them?

Will the AF pull me away from my studies while i'm in dental school?

WHAT ARE THE TIME COMMITMENT FOR THE AF WHILE I'M IN DENTAL SCHOOL?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to dental school for this 2009 cycle.

Is it a good idea to sign up for the AF before getting accepted to dental school? I heard from a friend who is in the AF, she said that if I join the AF before I get accepted into dental school ( 1 year before acceptance), then I will gain rank faster. But I'm afraid of the fineprints that the armed forces have out there.

I believe you need to be accepted to a school first before you actually sign the contract. Even if you could sign before that, the time before you go on active duty (when you graduate) is NOT counted for pay or retirement.

Can I pick my place of deployment once I graduate from dental school?

No. You have some input into the place you're stationed but in the end, the needs of the service supersede your desires.

Do I have to wait for the AF to accept me into their officer program? or will they just accept me to be an AF officer once they know i got accepted to dental school?

Assuming you've been accepted to a dental school then your chances of being accepted are generally good.

If I talk to a recruiter, can I really trust them?

They're not allowed to lie but they may gloss over some of the negatives and over emphasize the positives but that is the MO of every recruiter no matter what or who they're recruiting for. Other than bias, they may just be flat out misinformed or unknowledgeable about certain aspects of the program or about what life in the service would be like for a dentist. Additionally, things can change, there will probably be greater than four years between the time you talk to the recruiter and when you enter active duty.

Will the AF pull me away from my studies while i'm in dental school?

No.

WHAT ARE THE TIME COMMITMENT FOR THE AF WHILE I'M IN DENTAL SCHOOL?

Little to none.