af flight surgery question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omar-57

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a fourth year hpsp, name is actually kevin, just want to keep a different screen name.

do i have this right?

1 year internal medicine THEN

3 years flight surgery and the four year committment is paid back?

and i really don't know what a flight surgeon is yet. can i hear a couple of stories, like a good history of someone serving then getting out for civilian residency AND

a bad story of how it went doing that. is FS boring?

i guess my question is do they let you just be a doctor? which i think would be pretty cool. unless your patients did not have any medical problems

and what are the likely places that you would be stationed?

and is there still alot of deployment going on? and where to now?

it would really help me. i'm asking because if they don't give me my radiology pic this december and i get gmo (which is the same as FS right?)

I actually would not feel bad about having some time to figure out if i should go to a surgery residency ( out or in the military ) i am finding out that i have really good hand skills recentely and if surgery is for me i don't want to go all the way through rads to apply for interventional

thanks again, i know a longer post

Members don't see this ad.

i'm a fourth year hpsp, name is actually kevin, just want to keep a different screen name.

do i have this right?

1 year internal medicine THEN

3 years flight surgery and the four year committment is paid back?

and i really don't know what a flight surgeon is yet. can i hear a couple of stories, like a good history of someone serving then getting out for civilian residency AND

a bad story of how it went doing that. is FS boring?

i guess my question is do they let you just be a doctor? which i think would be pretty cool. unless your patients did not have any medical problems

and what are the likely places that you would be stationed?

and is there still alot of deployment going on? and where to now?

it would really help me. i'm asking because if they don't give me my radiology pic this december and i get gmo (which is the same as FS right?)

I actually would not feel bad about having some time to figure out if i should go to a surgery residency ( out or in the military ) i am finding out that i have really good hand skills recentely and if surgery is for me i don't want to go all the way through rads to apply for interventional

thanks again, i know a longer post

Okay, Kevin-Omar.

The internship doesn't count. It's 1 year internship, then 4 years as FS/GMO. Welcome to the club of those who didn't read the fine print.

Yes, there's still a war going on here or there. Deployments still happen.

GMO is not the same as Flight Med. Getting a reg GMO is like being cast down with the sodomites in the Shawshank Redemption. Whereas Flight Med is like having your own corner cell and a poster of Rita Hayworth. Right now it's thunderstorming outside and I'm banging on the sewer pipe.

If you gotta go AF medicine though, Flight Med/GMO and then GTFO is the way to go.

come on man,

no one is more into speaking in code and keeping mystery than me but i know know what you are talking about?

i know you have the good info for me and maybe you just said it, but i don't speak it yet.

ok

shaw shank **** "what is it?" i like to solve a case i'm guessing it mean i would feel like a robot, because i would hate that

now

the corner cell of some ****

hmm

am i solving cases now?

and the last one i don't even know what that is

but could you describe it in more detail?

thanks for the reply, i like the into you gave

Members don't see this ad :)
and the same for residency i'm assuming

the intern year does not count?

come on man,

no one is more into speaking in code and keeping mystery than me but i know know what you are talking about?

i know you have the good info for me and maybe you just said it, but i don't speak it yet.

ok

shaw shank **** "what is it?" i like to solve a case i'm guessing it mean i would feel like a robot, because i would hate that

now

the corner cell of some ****

hmm

am i solving cases now?

and the last one i don't even know what that is

but could you describe it in more detail?

thanks for the reply, i like the into you gave

Heh, your posts read like e.e. cummings poems.

Right, the internship year doesn't count towards fulfilling your active duty commitment. For example, a 4 year HPSP means that you do a 1 year internship (whether civilian or military, it doesn't matter) followed by 4 years as a GMO. The military wants 4 years of a trained physician's service, not one year of trainee service and 3 years' GMO.

For stuff about Life in Flight Surgeon/GMO world, there are tons and tons of threads and posts on this board that are full of stories both good and bad. Bottom line is that it's got its ups and downs, it's not the worst job in the world, and very few of those who've done it ever sign on for another tour. People in the worlds of civilian residencies can be impressed the job and by your service if you cast it and yourself in the proper light.

Kevin-Omar progress note:

The patient was here.

I saw him. Dude. You know I saw him.

Sick, sick sick.

I'm solving that ****

Oh wait, I'm in high school. My bust.

Any advice on Interview for Flight Surgeon.

Have everything done except interview at this point, i.e. Board Certified Internal Medicine, Prior commission USAF, Flight Physical passed, great recommendations.
Told I will have phone interview now before packet goes to pentagon.
Any ideas on what phone interview is like?
Thanks!