haisha ni narou

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2007
Orange County
Status
Dental Student
Have any AF HPSPers ever been successful in enrolling in Tricare Reserve Select plan while they are NOT on active duty? DEERS tells me I am eligible but I'm running into red-tape issues with it all.

krmower

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
Status
Dentist
Have any AF HPSPers ever been successful in enrolling in Tricare Reserve Select plan while they are NOT on active duty? DEERS tells me I am eligible but I'm running into red-tape issues with it all.
I am speaking from the Army side of things (but since it is DOD it is all the same). In order to enroll in Tricare medical you must be a reserve/national guard member that drills. IRR is not eligible (that is what you are when you are HPSP).

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/ProfileFilter.do?&puri=%2Fhome%2Foverview%2FEligibility%2FWhoIsEligible%2FNationalGuardAndReserveAndFamilies

Jul 16, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I, too, am speaking for the Army side. I attended and informational meeting and was told that beginning this year HPSP students and family members would be eligible for Tricare. I received all of the information to enroll my wife, but I'm running into a lot of red tape. My wife is registered in DEERS, but Tricare won't let us enroll because of my IRR status. I've received a lot of mixed info and no help. Any suggestions?

AFDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
Lackland AFB, TX
Status
Dentist
We are having Tricare brief some HPSP students on Monday. I'll ask them these questions and post what they tell me.

del Sol DOHC

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2006
Status
Dentist
I, too, am speaking for the Army side. I attended and informational meeting and was told that beginning this year HPSP students and family members would be eligible for Tricare. I received all of the information to enroll my wife, but I'm running into a lot of red tape. My wife is registered in DEERS, but Tricare won't let us enroll because of my IRR status. I've received a lot of mixed info and no help. Any suggestions?
That would be so awesome if it turns out to be true. Keep us posted!

krmower

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
Status
Dentist
I am speaking from the Army side of things (but since it is DOD it is all the same). In order to enroll in Tricare medical you must be a reserve/national guard member that drills. IRR is not eligible (that is what you are when you are HPSP).
Speaking from a purely business stand point I would be surprised if you are allowed to. Why would the government fork over additional money to provide medical coverage/subsidize medical insurance for a category of Soldier that is infrequently utilized?

AFDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
Lackland AFB, TX
Status
Dentist
We are having Tricare brief some HPSP students on Monday. I'll ask them these questions and post what they tell me.
Tricare briefed today that it was possible if you are in DEERS. However, Tricare website says only for the Dental Program. I will continue to look.

Here is the link to the tricare website.

http://tricare.mil/mybenefit/ProfileFilter.do;jsessionid=MGXG2LYv6FMvRH8y613qJk5gh57mC08nyVFZvPlMq9611Hhxvp9q!926336254?CFID=20148583&CFTOKEN=20880747&puri=/home/overview/Eligibility/WhoIsEligible/NationalGuardAndReserveAndFamilies

Smills91

Defeat Obamunism!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2007
One
Status
Dental Student
Speaking from a purely business stand point I would be surprised if you are allowed to. Why would the government fork over additional money to provide medical coverage/subsidize medical insurance for a category of Soldier that is infrequently utilized?
Who cares. Obama is giving everyone FREE HealthCare! YIPPPEEEEEE.

AFDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
Lackland AFB, TX
Status
Dentist
I discussed this again with Tricare this morning and was told that it is "virtually impossible for an IRR member to enroll in Tricare Reserve Select".