AF Rank List Question for deferment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docpetey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just curious as to whether or not you rank a military program as your #1 choice will give you more points at the JSGME board (in the Potential for Becoming a Career Officer). If you rank civilian defer first, does that look bad when they score your application?

Pretty much, if you want a civilian deferment what is the game to play on the JSGME application. This is all for a uber competitive specialty with only a few military spots. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Just curious as to whether or not you rank a military program as your #1 choice will give you more points at the JSGME board (in the Potential for Becoming a Career Officer). If you rank civilian defer first, does that look bad when they score your application?

Pretty much, if you want a civilian deferment what is the game to play on the JSGME application. This is all for a uber competitive specialty with only a few military spots. Thanks.

there is no game here. Be honest about what you want. IF you want Military put it first go interview and tell them why you want it. If you to be deferred at least call them at randolph and whoever goes to the board for your specialty usually the consultant for that specialty. For instance if you want to be civilian deferred anesthesia at least call WHMC (AF) or WRAMC/BAMC for the Army) or whereever the Navy offers this and tell them. Hi I am So and SO I want to be deferred and here are the reasons....

IF you want the military you must go there to interview and preferrably do a rotation there, IF you want to defer it is more tricky. The military matches first for a reason... They want to see all applicants hpsp and USU and they want to get the best or strongest students so if you are a straight A student with high test scores from a strong school you will likelly do a military residency regardless of what you select on your application. This is the "selection bias" that causes military residency programs to look so strong on paper - they select all the strong candidates and send the weaker ones to the civilian world... Everyone HPSP I knew with a 4.0 were picked up at my residency place even though many of them wanted big name civilian schools.

hope this helps

Hey everyone,

Do what I did. Rank civilian first then go to the trouble to fly out to every military program in the specialty, interview with them, and tell them you would be very happy to come to a military program, but that you would prefer a civilian deferment. It is harder to screw you once they meet you (I said harder, not impossible.)

so, how does the scoring differ whether or not you put civilian or military first?

my understanding is that the military board member will have the final say on your scoring if you put a military program down first. the AF consultant for that specialty will have the final say if you put down civilian defer?

i don't understand the system very well. let's say you rotate somewhere, they love you, and they want you in their military program. but you're still at the mercy of the point system right?

i mean, does it really matter if you put military first or not? don't they score you, put the applications in order from most to least amount of points, and then give them whatever they want? or is there that much wiggle room that they can move you from one to another choice?

just trying to figure out what i should do because as an hpsp student i most likely will not get a military spot for a competitive specialty, but i'd hate to lose points because i said i wanted to be defered.