AF Reserve (anesthesiology)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBurns10

Excellent, Smithers
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been searching for a while online (and on this forum) but couldn't find exactly the info I was looking for. So I apologize if this has been discussed before and I missed it.

I'm hoping to get some information about the AF reserves, specifically for someone in anesthesiology residency. My understanding of the reserves is you'd serve one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, usually within commuting distance of where you live, for six years then inactive ready for two additional years. The primary job would be involved in clinical care of the soldiers at the base. There is also the loan repayment program which provides $40,000/yr x 4 years for joining the reserves under the requirements I just mentioned. Please correct me if I have any of this incorrect.

My biggest concerns are 1) getting to be at a base within commuting distance, and 2) deployment length and frequency. Any ideas of the answers to these questions?

Thanks so much in advance! And before I get jumped on for being concerned about the above, I'm asking because my husband is interested in joining the AF.

Members don't see this ad.