AF Reserve question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedNole

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my 2nd year of a five year residency and have been interested in the military ever since I was a kid. I have explored all of the options, and I think that for me the Air Force Reserve and ANG are probably the best fit for my goals. After speaking with the the AF reserves recruiter today, I was hoping someone can confirm the program as I understand it.

-I have no responsibilities as far as drilling and cannot be pulled into duty during residency or fellowship.
-I owe two years for each year I accept the STRAP stipend.
-The minimum commitment is 2 years for each year that STRAP is accepted, plus two years in the inactive ready reserve.
-I can start my payback during my chief year and continue during my fellowship, although I cannot be pulled into active duty I'm done with fellowship.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in my 2nd year of a five year residency and have been interested in the military ever since I was a kid. I have explored all of the options, and I think that for me the Air Force Reserve and ANG are probably the best fit for my goals. After speaking with the the AF reserves recruiter today, I was hoping someone can confirm the program as I understand it.

-I have no responsibilities as far as drilling and cannot be pulled into duty during residency or fellowship.
-The minimum commitment is 2 years for each year that STRAP is accepted, plus two years in the inactive ready reserve.
-I can start my payback during my chief year and continue during my fellowship, although I cannot be pulled into active duty I'm done with fellowship.

if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is...

If you can start payback, then that by default means they can activate you, or they wouldn't call it payback. They may be working from historical data, that nobody has ever been activated during those times, but like the stock market, past performance is no guarantee of future earnings.

Also don't underestimate Uncle Sam's ability to change the contract at will while holding you to your time comittment. Not long ago, there were rules about not being deployed more than 2 of every 5 years in the NG, and they changed it with the stroke of a pen. Although they didn't really need to change it since every contract the .mil ever wrote up contains the "needs of the .mil" clause that pretty much allows them to say exactly what they need regardless of what is in the contract.

On my last deployment, I met a couple of PA's that were in pretty bad financial situations. Arguably, they both had done it to themselves, as they had learned to live on their civilian salary, and then when they came on active duty, they weren't able to pay the bills.

i want out (of IRR)

I'd read this carefully. Maybe the AF is different, but for Army STRAP (which I think is the same program), you can not be deployed during residency, but they do not guarantee this for fellowship.

Also, keep in mind STRAP still carries an 8 year obligation, regardless of how long you take it for.