Afer Getting a Rejection email from a school, ever wanted to send back a email saying F*** you guys!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sorta do:yeahright:, this school has rejected me twice. Oh well, I have four DO interviews in January.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd rather snapchat something offensive.

But no, not really.

I've applied 3 times in Texas and they don't send official rejections until after the match in February. Then they just sorta roll in. Thanks guys, I know I didn't match. It's kinda like, "And the hits just keep on coming..." I've definitely wanted to send something snarky, trust me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied 3 times in Texas and they don't send official rejections until after the match in February. Then they just sorta roll in. Thanks guys, I know I didn't match. It's kinda like, "And the hits just keep on coming..." I've definitely wanted to send something snarky, trust me.

:hungover:

lol I did that twice last year on an impulse. I had to reapply, but one of the schools I did it to invited me for an interview this year :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't send an f-you. I would send a 'Guuuurl, you're crazy to reject me '

Reactions: 4 users
You bet I do, I just love it when they tell me that they wish me all the luck in my pursuit of medicine, but I better take it somewhere else. :bang: The closes I've come to sending an F-note is that after UPitt sent me a rejection, I went to their web site and withdrew my application. That will sure teach them!

At my undergraduate university, a peer of mine was famously rejected, but sent back a "I reject your rejection" letter and was eventually accepted.. Unfortunately I don't think that'll work for med, eh??

Reactions: 8 users
Guys, just don't take it personally. You all know it's ill-advised (I hope). Would you get this mad if you got rejected by an Ivy League college? (I hope not).

It's just ruff and extremely competitive. That's all.

Believe me, we faculty feel the same way when our grant proposals and manuscripts get rejected. Sometimes the reeviewers are so at odds with each other you wonder "did they read the same paper?"

Life does go on.

I sorta do:yeahright:, this school has rejected me twice. Oh well, I have four DO interviews in January.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh I just got another MD interview for Jan! :)

Oh I just got another MD interview for Jan! :)

Now is the time to show some brass balls and send them the F-email before you even show up for interview. :p

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, just don't take it personally. You all know it's ill-advised (I hope). Would you get this mad if you got rejected by an Ivy League college? (I hope not).

It's just ruff and extremely competitive. That's all.

How can you not take it personally when they put your app under a microscope and analyze every little flaw. No wonder people who get through this process have a god complex.

stay classy.

i remember i withdrew from one of my schools who then proceeded to send me a rejection letter a couple weeks later. i had a lol

Reactions: 3 users
I know a guy who got axed after the interview and called them up and was like: how dare you? Why would you do that? You were my top choice and now thanks to you I have to move out of state.

The irony here is that he had no idea how can someone as amazing as he is be rejected. His stats were slightly above school's average and apparently he rocked his interviews.

I got rejected from a school last cycle and this cycle they decided to send me an interview invite. I declined and sent them an email telling them that I had already received an acceptance at a top choice of mine. Sucks for them.

Reactions: 2 users
How can you not take it personally when they put your app under a microscope and analyze every little flaw. No wonder people who get through this process have a god complex.

For schools that get thousands and thousands of applications and only have the time and resources to interview several hundred and after that only have the capacity to accept a couple hundred, you shouldn't take it personally at all. My school interviews about 700 people, all of whom are extremely qualified, and except for a handful of outliers, most would make excellent students at the school. The unfortunate reality is that we only accept ~300 to end up at a class size of ~150, so yeah, 500 people are going to be disappointed. I was in your position not too long ago, so I do know very well how frustrating it is, but something I didn't realize when applying was the sheer number of extremely qualified people applying to medical school and unfortunately, they can't all make it into every school they want to attend.

For schools that get thousands and thousands of applications and only have the time and resources to interview several hundred and after that only have the capacity to accept a couple hundred, you shouldn't take it personally at all. My school interviews about 700 people, all of whom are extremely qualified, and except for a handful of outliers, most would make excellent students at the school. The unfortunate reality is that we only accept ~300 to end up at a class size of ~150, so yeah, 500 people are going to be disappointed. I was in your position not too long ago, so I do know very well how frustrating it is, but something I didn't realize when applying was the sheer number of extremely qualified people applying to medical school and unfortunately, they can't all make it into every school they want to attend.

I get what you are saying. So maybe it makes sense to expand American med schools instead of denying kids that are highly qualified then importing a bunch of IMGs to fill residency slots.

Never burn a bridge. Our professional world is smaller than you think.

I wish I would have done that. I definitely know the feelings.

Takes some massive cohones (or a sudden career change).

I'm not conceited enough to believe I should be accepted by every school I apply to. That's just me.

I get what you are saying. So maybe it makes sense to expand American med schools instead of denying kids that are highly qualified then importing a bunch of IMGs to fill residency slots.

This just further exemplifies your misunderstanding of the situation and healthcare in general. Residency slots are capped and frozen, and there are so many American medical schools opening up that the number of just American med school graduates is soon going to exceed the number of residency slots. So no, it doesn't make sense to make more med schools unless legislation is passed to increase residencies.

This just further exemplifies your misunderstanding of the situation and healthcare in general. Residency slots are capped and frozen, and there are so many American medical schools opening up that the number of just American med school graduates is soon going to exceed the number of residency slots. So no, it doesn't make sense to make more med schools unless legislation is passed to increase residencies.

I said It would make more sense to accept more American med students instead of IMGs to fill slots. Currently IMGs take a lot of slots in the match. More American med graduates means Americans will take those slots and IMGs would be pushed out. In that case they would need to increase the number of residencies but not by much.

I said It would make more sense to accept more American med students instead of IMGs to fill slots. Currently IMGs take a lot of slots in the match. More American med graduates means Americans will take those slots and IMGs would be pushed out. In that case they would need to increase the number of residencies but not by much.

I know what you said. IMGs are already being pushed out. I said that soon the number of US medical graduates will exceed the number of slots. That means that not only IMGs will be completely pushed out, so will qualified US medical graduates. It's already happening in the competitive specialties with people unable to match despite being very qualified. It's not worth it to increase the number of med schools so that a few more pre-meds can be happy when in 4 years they won't be able to match.

I know what you said. IMGs are already being pushed out. I said that soon the number of US medical graduates will exceed the number of slots. That means that not only IMGs will be completely pushed out, so will qualified US medical graduates. It's already happening in the competitive specialties with people unable to match despite being very qualified. It's not worth it to increase the number of med schools so that a few more pre-meds can be happy when in 4 years they won't be able to match.

Whit the Number of MD and DO slots there are slots left over every year after the match. If a students cant match in a competitive specialty, they are aiming too high. And we are nowhere near there being more American MD/DO graduates than residencies. People say this but usually provide no evidence or poor evidence. Plus on the osteopathic side, they are creating new residencies.

I feel some type away about stuff like this. Do you feel entitled? You're just one of many deserving candidates vying for a seat. How else are they supposed to choose among thousands of applicants?

If you get rejected, don't be immature about it. Look for ways to continue improving your resume and keep it moving.

Just remember that it's not personal at all, brush your shoulders off and move onwards. After all, you aren't intended to get accepted to everywhere you apply to. Unless you are a superhuman of superhumans

Whit the Number of MD and DO slots there are slots left over every year after the match. If a students cant match in a competitive specialty, they are aiming too high. And we are nowhere near there being more American MD/DO graduates than residencies. People say this but usually provide no evidence or poor evidence. Plus on the osteopathic side, they are creating new residencies.

MD class of 2018 is about 20500 based on AAMC's matriculating stats of 2017 and a bit of guess work. DO class of 2018 is about 6000. Add in another 1000 of MD who didn't match right after graduation, and we're looking at 27,500. Even with the all or nothing residency rule implemented, the number of residencies is only at ~29,000 (based on 2013 match result) with no significant increase in the next few years.

DO residencies are still chump change compared to MD residencies, plus the number of increase in seats in DO will eat up any increase in DO residency spots.

Last edited:
IMGs almost always take up spots that american grads don't want. Trust me.

LOL@premed talking about why or why not people match

Wha ... No. The conclusion does not follow at all from the statement here. This is incredibly wrong thinking; read the recent NY Times editorial by Zeke Emanuel.

IMGs almost always take up spots that american grads don't want. Trust me.

LOL@premed talking about why or why not people match

Just a thought...would people who would kill to get into med school also not want those spots? Mathematically speaking, if IMGs are taking up spots (desired or not), then there is still room for AMG. I honestly don't care for either side of the argument, just something I thought of reading you guys' posts.

I'm pretty sure some crazy high school students know more than me about getting into med school :)

What would be the point? You may end up reapplying, and you don't know how much communication goes on between the medical school and any residency programs affiliated with associated teaching hospitals. I prefer not to burn bridges...

Just a thought...would people who would kill to get into med school also not want those spots? Mathematically speaking, if IMGs are taking up spots (desired or not), then there is still room for AMG. I honestly don't care for either side of the argument, just something I thought of reading you guys' posts.

I'm pretty sure some crazy high school students know more than me about getting into med school :)

People who will kill to get into med school and choose the IMG route should be THANKFUL to find spots. They won't complain, but take spots and move forward.

People who will kill to get into med school and choose the IMG route should be THANKFUL to find spots. They won't complain, but take spots and move forward.

Naw I mean american citizens who would kill to go US MD would probably want those "crappy" spots taken up by IMGs no? I was just saying that increasing US MD spots to take up those spots, however crappy, is viable (just mathematically speaking)

Naw I mean american citizens who would kill to go US MD would probably want those "crappy" spots taken up by IMGs no? I was just saying that increasing US MD spots to take up those spots, however crappy, is viable (just mathematically speaking)

The ratio of US MDs vs spots can't be too close to 1:1... we're playing a 29k seat music chair basically. If we only have barely enough seats for everyone, then if you're unlucky and your section is a bit overcrowded, you'd be out without a match. Real life matching isn't 100% efficient cuz of limitation with time and money.

The ratio of US MDs vs spots can't be too close to 1:1... we're playing a 29k seat music chair basically. If we only have barely enough seats for everyone, then if you're unlucky and your section is a bit overcrowded, you'd be out without a match. Real life matching isn't 100% efficient cuz of limitation with time and money.
Sure, that sounds like a good enough reason. Like I said, I'm not really siding with either argument, that was just a thought I had. These undesirable residencies probably wouldn't stop anyone from wanting an MD after their name

You are right, it won't. However, they will be at a huge disservice with **** training.

You bet I do, I just love it when they tell me that they wish me all the luck in my pursuit of medicine, but I better take it somewhere else. :bang: The closes I've come to sending an F-note is that after UPitt sent me a rejection, I went to their web site and withdrew my application. That will sure teach them!

haha I like that. She didn't dump me, I dumped her!

Just checked, couldn't find that option :( Oh well, no one wants to live in the midwest anyways.

Last edited:
Now is the time to show some brass balls and send them the F-email before you even show up for interview. :p

Thats right, set the tone now. You should also use the strategy outlined here:

haha I like that. She didn't dump me, I dumped her!

Just checked, couldn't find that option :( Oh well, no one wants to live in the midwest anyways.
Second to last tab on their web site - right next to logging out. Maybe they've smartened after I rejected them. :D

Yes, especially from my own alma mater

Whatevs I say ****em

Why would anyone advocate increasing the number of medical schools without an equal or greater increase in residency spots? Best case scenario you're shooting yourself in the foot and making it that much harder to match into the residency you really want in that perfect location. Worst case scenario you may have to apply twice in the match.

The reason residency spots are so low is because the government doesn't want to increase it's spending for GME and (at least for certain competitive fields) the residency spots are artificially limited to secure the salary of their field. The main appeal of US MD is that nice ~95% match rate. If you just increase the number of med school then you mess up the whole appeal. You need both.

Why would anyone advocate increasing the number of medical schools without an equal or greater increase in residency spots? Best case scenario you're shooting yourself in the foot and making it that much harder to match into the residency you really want in that perfect location. Worst case scenario you may have to apply twice in the match.

The reason residency spots are so low is because the government doesn't want to increase it's spending for GME and (at least for certain competitive fields) the residency spots are artificially limited to secure the salary of their field. The main appeal of US MD is that nice ~95% match rate. If you just increase the number of med school then you mess up the whole appeal. You need both.

1st bold: I posed this question earlier and I will pose it again; do you really think everyone is that picky in terms of their residencies? Not everyone cares for ortho at MGH. There are a lot of posts on this site with the "dream residency/school or bust" mentality, which to be honest probably isn't representative of the overall pre-med population. I think most people will be adequately satisfied with most residency spots given that or another career as the two choices. And the OP specified that the increase of MD spots would be coming from the current IMGs taking up residency spots, so if you apply smart, there shouldn't be a reapplication.

2nd bold: Protecting the salary of fields I can understand for family medicine, peds, etc. But to say that ortho, derm, rads, etc should keep out perfectly good candidates is not a good argument. Would people really be hurting if they took a pay cut from 300K to 275K each to accomodate 500 new grads a year? I'm no Mother Theresa and I understand long schooling + hard work should be rewarded but then is making 300K really a justifiable amount of money?

Again, I'm not saying what the OP is posing is the correct side, I just don't find your reasons to be a good reason for keeping good candidates out. And I know that realistically changing the system like this is extremely difficult and probably not very practical so I'm just throwing out ideas for the sake of a balanced view

Last edited:
2nd bold: Protecting the salary of fields I can understand for family medicine, peds, etc. But to say that ortho, derm, rads, etc should keep out perfectly good candidates is not a good argument. Would people really be hurting if they took a pay cut from 300K to 275K each to accomodate 500 new grads a year? I'm no Mother Theresa and I understand long schooling + hard work should be rewarded but then is making 300K really a justifiable amount of money?

Is there a shortage of ortho/derm/rads physicians? If not, why would training more be a good idea? Residencies are not free, they are paid with tax dollars. Just because there are qualified candidates does not mean that public money should be spent on training a surplus of physicians.

Is there a shortage of ortho/derm/rads physicians? If not, why would training more be a good idea? Residencies are not free, they are paid with tax dollars. Just because there are qualified candidates does not mean that public money should be spent on training a surplus of physicians.
Sorry I meant to be more clear on that. Take away a little of those fields' pay, pay the shortage fields with that surplus.

Last edited:
Sorry I meant to be more clear on that. Take away a little of those field's pay, pay the shortage fields with that surplus.

It's not like government is taking that money and will send a check to all the family docs out there. Patients will save a couple hundred dollars for their ortho procedures and they have no obligation to spend it on a primary care doctor visit. You seem to advocate government set salary, now that's dangerous territory. There's no reason to increase the number of ortho position if we have enough. Now if we can change the medicare reimbursement rate for ortho procedures, now were talking about possibly fixing the problem.

I'm willing to bet Congress puts in the fix the day before the deadline. Seems to be how they like to roll.