Affirmative Action and Med School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many conservatives believe the gap is due to lowered expectations. If a URM knows he only needs to score a 25 to be competitive, lo and behold he will score around a 25. Now, if he thought he had to score a 28 like everyone else, he will score like everyone else.
Competition breeds excellence. AA shelters URMs from competition.

Members don't see this ad.

luthertakestwo has a really bad way of presenting his points and gets really whiny about things.

dude, make some flyers and print them out...no one here really cares about what you say and you're not gonna end up changing people's minds, have you not figured that out yet? for someone who claims to be as intelligent as you are, you have a hard time dealing with opposition.

as much as i disagree with a lot of things peterrockduke says, he's way better at these debates than luther vandross here.

Originally posted by BOSSofCU
Thanks for that post mr big. It was the most articulate and balanced I have yet read on the subject. I have always supported AA, while understanding its limitations and agitating more vocally for underlying societal changes for the problems that AA at best seeks to bandage. <snip> It seems quite likely that very few people could overcome the obstacles of a bad school, poverty and a weak support system, to make it to the upper echelon of cantidates (or even to be competitive). In such a dire situation it seems very difficult to survive, let alone begin down a long and difficult career of helping others. I would think that people of any race overcoming these obstacles, and still having competitive numbers would be highly sought after and placed. Is there evidence that this is not true? If it is, your outreach idea program makes great sense, and I think it's important to send the message that these goals are attainable, but ultimately it is the nation's imperative to improve the lot of the disadvantaged and not the adcoms.

Precisely. I've walked in many different shoes vis-a-vis this issue, and I sympathize with the adcoms b/c they have a wickedly tough balancing act. It's funny to contemplate sometimes, but the anguish of the medical school application process is a shared agony of both the applicants themselves and the adcoms; adcom members are under tremendous pressure to make crucial decisions based on incomplete information. They're constantly stressed by their duties in addition to their non-adcom obligations, and I know of cases when bitter debates in adcom sessions have practically brought some members to tears. And one tough issue is precisely what you raise?Xhow do adcom members reconcile their need to be equitable, impartial, and dedicated to their institutions, with the inherent inequality of the experiences faced by applicant pools from so many different socioeconomic backgrounds? It??s a challenging titration, an imperfect art and not a science, and so there are myriad gray areas.

As a white male, I have also "scaled the mountain" you spoke of and been accepted to an Ivy medical school. Though I have not started yet (and thus not yet met my class) I got was very impressed with the adcom members I met, and did not feel that they would be unduly influenced by wealth or connections.

Your hunch is right; adcom members by and large are among the most disciplined, diligent, introspective people you'll find. They're conscious of their own predilections and foibles as people and therefore sensitive to the inevitable conflicts of their task, and the all-too-human failings of their applicants. There are some bad apples in any lot; there was an adcom officer who pretty much rejected any white male he interviewed regardless of applicant quality (although he himself was a WM), and he was expelled from the admissions committee and even reprimanded AFAIK. But the vast, vast majority of adcom members are empathetic individuals who seek to do their job professionally, soberly, and effectively.

The issue with wealth and connections (for anybody, URM or otherwise) has to do more with the way these factors confer such a tremendous advantage in the pre-application process?Xeverything from access to and ability to afford pricier undergraduate institutions to better test-prep and CV-editing services. When AA was founded during the Nixon Administration, the raison d??etre was that because of the many deleterious effects of Jim Crow and slavery before it, there was an inevitable mismatch between the perceived potential of a candidate (for a school, a scholarship, training program, job, whatever) and their actual potential. That is, an African-American boy in a ghetto may have possessed the same level of intrinsic (however vaguely defined that is) intellectual curiosity, ambition, and discipline as the white daughter of a wealthy shipping magnate from Scarsdale, yet his numbers on paper would not reflect that since he had to spend so many of his days dodging street gangs and pushers on the way to a dilapidated school with three kids sharing each textbook. This is the time-honored notion that all the runners in a footrace don??t begin at the same starting line, and so it??s understandable if extra consideration is lent to someone commencing further back, provided that (in the judgment of an evaluator) that person possesses potential for excellence which was not immediately in evidence.

This is how AA should function ideally, providing a second chance to those who hardly had a first. The problem with extending AA to privileged applicants, whether URM or not (and there are some cases of the latter too, of course), is that such applicants began with enough socioeconomic advantages that conferring AA preferences for them defeats the purpose for which the policy was designed in the first place. And if this sort of faux AA becomes too prevalent, it can provide society and institutions with a sort of false sense of security, a feel-good fantasy that they??re reaching out to impoverished URM??s when in reality they??re doing nothing of the sort. And many adcoms for a while did extend a preference in precisely that fashion, an automatic boost to a URM regardless of individual experience. That??s why a more flexible, carefully-designed AA with more careful focus on personal background, and an inclination to give augmented consideration chiefly to URM??s but also to non-URM??s with demonstrated socioeconomic hardships, would be far more in the spirit of what AA was designed for originally. Also, as you said, it??s up to society and not the adcoms to address the broader problems afflicting primary and secondary education in so many URM communities, which is why I like to see training and outreach programs extended.

[This quote out of order but you make an important point here that deserves comment.]
And I would ask, isn't the medical community and the nation somewhat at the mercy of admissions committees? Isn't it up to these committees to make the right choices, and do not the choices they make go a long way toward defining the institutions themselves?

Yes, very much so. This is why I always advise students to place themselves in the shoes of adcom members when applying. I sometimes suggest that applicants view the adcom members like talent scouts; their first and foremost duty is to their institution, and by extension to the health care profession. If I??m on an adcom, the recurring thought coursing through my mind is, ??Will this student make my institution proud? Will he/she contribute to us while here and be a good model of our caliber of graduate upon finishing up??? The more a student can match up with the factors that an adcom is seeking, the more favorably said student will be viewed. Academic performance is of course the linchpin indicator, but the numbers don??t constitute the entire profile in and of themselves. Perhaps most importantly, you want to demonstrate to the committee your capacity for initiative, your ability to take the professional foundation that the med school will give you and run with it. The 3 factors that will most set you apart are ??VIP???Xvigor, initiative, and persistence?Xas demonstrated in your background, your essay, and interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by BOSSofCU
Anyway, thanks.

Also, I had not previously considered the relevance of the treaty of Guadelupe-Hidalgo to this debate (J/K, a good point in context).
-Ross

A bit OT here but still very relevant for us if we want to practice in that portion of the country... There's a cultural distinctiveness in the Southwest, esp. in California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas, that makes these places stand out from other states-- and also has implications for freshly minted physicians if they want to practice medicine there. They were part of New Spain for centuries and part of the Republic of Mexico when it became independent of Spain, prior to the Mexican War and the Guadalupe-Hidalgo Treaty of 1848. (Florida, also, was a domain of New Spain for hundreds of years and similarly evinces this cultural imprint.) The whole history of the land transfer in the SW from Mexico to the US-- the largest single such land transfer in history, BTW, following an armed conflict-- is so sordid in part b/c the Mexican War was instigated by desires on the part of many US citizens to spread slavery into the conquered territories, which of course further fomented the nullification of land grants and the expulsion of Hispanos and Californios from their farms. (Florida, similarly, was seized to aid in the recapture of refugee slaves who'd fled into Spanish territory.)

In large part because of that unique history, and the lingering bitterness about the Mexican War and the treaty aftermath, the whole concept of "assimilation" is very distinct in those states from the rest of the country. It's somewhat of a historical accident that such a large proportion of modern immigrants are Latino (see my articles here and here about this if you're historically inclined), but no matter what their origin, in the US SW at least there's a strong identification with the pre-1848 Mexican inhabitants and their culture. A Latino acquaintance of mine in college from Arizona mentioned to me a motto that's often invoked in that state and others in the vicinity thereof: "No cruzamos la frontera; la frontera nos cruzo" ["We didn't cross the border; the border crossed us" (in 1848).] In practical terms, this means that Hispanic residents in those states are especially determined to maintain their culture, and that "assimilation" these days essentially means becoming bilingual if you want to be a professional (in part b/c much of the population is monolingually Spanish).

Thus a very smart career move is to take a course in medical Spanish, or just expand the Spanish you already know so that you can discuss medical situations intelligibly. (This is one of the principal reasons, nothing to do with AA, that Hispanic applicants sometimes get a leg up-- Spanish fluency, especially when it's taught to kids as a first language and retained into adulthood, is without doubt one of the most valuable non-medical skills a physician can have these days. Though one has to demonstrate that fluency.) This is almost essential if you're moving to the Southwest for your practice, where Spanish is a permanent cultural fixture and widely spoken as a first language in numerous communities, but it's frankly of great utility in just about any big city these days. (FWIW I use my Spanish practically every other day up here in New England, for example; I speak it so often that many people have confused me for an Argentinean or Chilean. ) But you'll need to be truly fluent in it to use it in clinical practice; you won't have the time to sort out tough grammatical constructions while a mother is frantically screaming to you "Ayudanme! Mi hijo torci su tobillo hace media hora jugando en el campo en su escuela! Se ha poniendo muy hinchado!" (Sprained ankles are a daily thing around schools.)

BOSSofCU, congrats on your own med-school acceptance in any case. Maybe we'll be seeing you up here in Boston?

Originally posted by johnnyMD
Why is this true (if it is)? Is it because adcoms select against truly disadvantaged applicants? Or is it due to the fact that most people who check the box are (in the eyes of the adcom) not disadvantaged and looking for a competitive advantage?

Adcoms are veterans of the game, people. they know who's genuine about medicine, who's passionate about serving underprivilaged, and especially who's truly disadvantaged.

Umm, I believe the data long before some mouthy bigot.

"Many conservatives believe the gap is due to lowered expectations. If a URM knows he only needs to score a 25 to be competitive, lo and behold he will score around a 25. Now, if he thought he had to score a 28 like everyone else, he will score like everyone else.
Competition breeds excellence. AA shelters URMs from competition."

A great point.

Luthers history:

post A: healthy debate on AA

Luther: [silence]

post B: good point made pro-AA

post C: good point made anti-AA

Luther: [chirp.. chirp..]

Luther: "you ignorant, hateful biggotted, *****, Can't you get it through your thick skull that my opinion is the only one that matters and I'm the king of the universe!!

Oh yeah, and AA is bad"

Originally posted by chrisfeliciano
Im ASIAN myself. I heard that they provide less sympathy to some minorites (ie Asians) than hispanics or African-Americans. Is it true. Does it help being a minority but that minority group is Asian?

Actually we're classified as "over-represented minority" so I would think at best being asian does not affect the process but at worst, it hurts.

Originally posted by medic8m
Luthers history:

post A: healthy debate on AA

post B: good point made pro-AA

post C: good point made anti-AA

Luther: [chirp.. chirp..]

Luther: "you ignorant, hateful biggotted, *****, Can't you get it through your thick skull that my opinion is the only one that matters and I'm the king of the universe!!

Oh yeah, and AA is bad"

glad to see i'm not the only one that feels luthertakestwointhea$$ is a fool

Originally posted by gschl1234
Actually we're classified as "over-represented minority" so I would think at best being asian does not affect the process but at worst, it hurts.

Yep, definitely hurts to be Asian but not URM.

Originally Post by JayMiranti:
"Many conservatives believe the gap is due to lowered expectations. If a URM knows he only needs to score a 25 to be competitive, lo and behold he will score around a 25. Now, if he thought he had to score a 28 like everyone else, he will score like everyone else.
Competition breeds excellence. AA shelters URMs from competition."

A great point.

I personally doubt any applicant of any race enters an exam like the MCAT to achieve the lowest acceptable score. Once again, there are apllicants, white and URM that score below the mean and are accepted to medical school. However, why don't people question when the white applicant scores are subpar?

I truly don't believe that the gap is due to lower expectations of an entire race of individuals, but due to different backgrounds and culture. And yes, some people are smarter than others. The educational system of current times do produce URM applicants that are qualified to become physicians. If this wasn' t truth then there would be no minority physicians. The decision on whom becomes a physician is a very detailed one that goes far beyond that of mere scores and MCAT's.

Please don't think the expectations of graduating from medical school is diffrerent for URM and whites/asians. They are all the same. Graduation from medical makes you officially an MD. Not being accepted to medical school. THe one question that all adcoms answer fof themselve is simple, "Are you able to graduate if admitted?"

Ex-fix

Got to go to the OR. I have both white, asian, blacks, and hispanics to operate on. Oh, but the trearment is the same. TKA on whites=total knees on URM.

See ya!

To answer Ryo-Ohki, I do support and am proud of what AA has accomplished. I have not benefitted from it because I have attend all-Black institutions learning and my jobs have been earned on my own merit not because of AA.

I still think that the argument that "so-called" underserving minorities getting into med school is a result of AA. Let's face it, minorities have been are still to this day dealt a bad hand in terms of education. Just because a person's MCAT score or GPA isn't as high as yours or anyone else's who may have applied to the same school you did, doesn't mean that they're not genuinely good students.

Again, I ask the question, the last time you visited a doctor or a hospital did you see a true spectrum of ethnic groups represented? If you can honestly say that the ratio of White doctors vs. any other minority was less than 5 to 1, then I will give up my argument. If not, then you'll see the reason why AA needs to remain in place.

As far as my concience goes it has nothing to do with my calling people who whine about being "victims' of AA having a f@#$%^& attitude. It's just that your conscience can't grasp the other half of what it takes to be a doctor. MCAT scores and GPA aren't the only things that it takes to get into medical school. It takes being compassionate, understanding, and being an all around good individual to be a good doctor and apparently the minority that got the spot that you so rightfully deserved in your own dimunitive mind had it. So deal with it

"To answer Ryo-Ohki, I do support and am proud of what AA has accomplished. I have not benefitted from it because I have attend all-Black institutions learning and my jobs have been earned on my own merit not because of AA."

The thing is, you will never know if, indeed, you were not ever granted anything on the basis of affirmative action. Who was your statistical consult that affirmed this for you? Miss cleo?

"I still think that the argument that "so-called" underserving minorities getting into med school is a result of AA."

The word is unDESERVING. I don't think anyone has claimed that. "Less deserving" might be a better term.

"Let's face it, minorities have been are still to this day dealt a bad hand in terms of education."

Strawman.

"Just because a person's MCAT score or GPA isn't as high as yours or anyone else's who may have applied to the same school you did, doesn't mean that they're not genuinely good students."

Irrelevant.

"Again, I ask the question, the last time you visited a doctor or a hospital did you see a true spectrum of ethnic groups represented?"

I see proportionally too many Jews and Asians. Sounds like we need AA for "regular white people."

"If you can honestly say that the ratio of White doctors vs. any other minority was less than 5 to 1, then I will give up my argument. If not, then you'll see the reason why AA needs to remain in place."

Did you have an argument? I think I missed something.

"As far as my concience goes it has nothing to do with my calling people who whine about being "victims' of AA having a f@#$%^& attitude. It's just that your conscience can't grasp the other half of what it takes to be a doctor. MCAT scores and GPA aren't the only things that it takes to get into medical school. It takes being compassionate,...."

Yes, and I'm sure that URMs have more of all those things than any other group and just by virtue of their race. Heh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do black students perform worse in school than white and asian students?

Scholar John Ogbu says that the most common explanation for this trend focuses on class or economic factors. However, he says, this kind of explanation does not work. The fact of the matter is that blacks of every social class perform worse than whites in the same class.

The real explanation for low black academic performance, thinks Ogbu, is racial stratification and inequality in the U.S.

But, how does racial stratification lead to lower black student test scores? Ogbu identifies three ways he believes that racial stratification can lead to lower academic achievement:

limiting access of blacks to equal resources
damaging perceptions and treatment of blacks in schools
community forces within the black community
Blacks Are Not Given Equal Resources
Ogbu says that the first way that racial stratification can lead to lower test scores is through racial inequality in access to resources. He says:

"If the U.S. society or one of her local communities provides blacks with less and inferior education, then blacks cannot perform as well or go as far as whites in school." (How Racial Stratification Enters into Black Education section, ? 2)
Ogbu says that this obvious kind of racial discrimination was the target of the school desegregation movement and compensatory education (that is, spending more money on poorer schools). He says that the practices of overtly limiting black students from adequate educational resources has largely been reversed.

Perceptions and Treatment Hurt Black Students
Ogbu says that teachers and administrators perceive black students differently than white students. This would lead them to treat black students differently. Some examples of differing treatment of blacks versus whites include:

tracking
testing and misclassification
harmful representation in textbooks (or, no representation at all)
access to appropriate curriculum
He says that because black students may be perceived as inferior, they are not given access to advanced curriculum and are tracked into slower classes.

Black Community Forces Work against Higher Achievement
In contrast to the first two ways racial stratification affects black academic achievement, Ogbu identifies a series of responses of the black community to white treatment that may undermine black school achievement.

Black folk theories of effort and reward. Blacks have developed a folk theory that states that education does not pay. The belief is that a black student can work hard, make good grades, go as far as he or she can in school and still be excluded from successful jobs. If black children and families hold this belief, then they are unlikely, says Ogbu, to develop "effort optimism"?that is, the belief that rewards are linked to the amount of effort they put into a task. If education does not pay, why put in the hard work to get a good education?
Black belief that school learning is "white learning." Ogbu points out that American blacks have developed an oppositional culture that equates school culture and standard English with white culture and language. Becoming academically successful means that a black student would need to reject black culture and identity for white culture. To the extent that blacks develop an oppositional stance to white culture and feel that school learning is identified with white culture, "being black"may come to mean performing poorly in school.
Black relational adaptations. Ogbu points to two ways that blacks have adapted to white society. First, blacks deeply distrust white institutions?and their black representatives. So, because public school is a white institution, it cannot be trusted to really help black students. Second, blacks who are successful distance themselves, physically and socially, from others in the black community. This leaves the perception among those blacks who remain that schooling may really mean abandoning your community.
From Ogbu's perspective, it is racial stratification, not class stratification, that lies behind poor black performance. This results not only from the ways that whites treat blacks, but from the ways that blacks have responded to that treatment.

National Center for Education Statistics: "Black students have more favorable attitudes than whites toward education, hard work, and effort. "

Apparently they talk the game, but they don't play it. This refutes much of Ogbu's "work."

Originally posted by Luthertaketwo
National Center for Education Statistics: "Black students have more favorable attitudes than whites toward education, hard work, and effort. "

Apparently they talk the game, but they don't play it. This refutes much of Ogbu's "work."

Why doesnt Ogbu's work refute much of the NCES?

Farrah

That was a daaaamn good post.

Why doesnt Ogbu's work refute much of the NCES?

You aren't very familiar with the scientific method, are you?

You aren't very familiar with the scientific method, are you?

hahaha.. Its just that you chime in with this one random stat to dismiss Ogbu's ideas. Did you even read Farrah's post? You obviously have an emotional connection to this issue that taints your objectivity. Most reasonable people agree that issues do, indeed, have two sides. I need to just start ignoring your inflammatory posts like everyone else.

hahaha.. Its just that you chime in with this one random stat to dismiss Ogbu's ideas. Did you even read Farrah's post? You obviously have an emotional connection to this issue that taints your objectivity. Most reasonable people agree that issues do, indeed, have two sides. I need to just start ignoring your inflammatory posts like everyone else.

Half of the *anthropologist's* position is refuted by the data; the other half is refuted by Asians and, to a lesser degree, Hispanics.

Overall Blacks students do NOT have more favorable attitudes than whites towards education. The majority of the time, black kids who achieve in school and participate in extracurriculars etc. are shunned by their peers, called 'white-washed', sell outs, wanna be's etc. I have no idea where the NCES got this idea but it is far from the truth. In society today people think that to be black means to be 'ghetto' and that is why even middle and upper class blacks try to fit into this idea early on. Even in the black community the most praised and admired individuals are no longer accomplished leaders like Martin Luther King etc. but NBA players and rappers. Even high ranking blacks are not considered to be 'representing' blacks, I know many african-americans that think of Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell as sell-outs? And many think that the only successful blacks are those who went the sports or entertainment route but they question the 'blackness' of blacks in academic pursuits.

Anybody observed this?

"Anybody observed this?"

This is your problem. Anecdote /= to datum.

since you didn't see my reply, i did want you to read it and perhaps begin to realize how stupid ur previous post was in the "cube root" thread you began:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by NDESTRUKT
haha non math/physics/engineering majors
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great stuff, ya. Totally useless for someone going into medicine.

That was one of the most inane respones I've seen in quite a while...almost as ridiculous as posting your question on SDN.

First of all, if it's not obvious to you, the human body operates on many principles of engineering. If you don't believe it, ask any physiology professor. Many machines invented by man were based on the design of the body. The heart is a fluid pump, you can analyze bones using mechanics (which in fact is highly used in prosthetic design), the EKG is a freakin' voltmeter invented by EE's (that's an electrical engineer for the OP in case he's too dumb to know that). Who invents a lot of the medical equipment? Engineers with physician insight and many times physicians who had engineering degrees. When you combine disciplines, you advance society, which is why biomedical engineering was created, or are you not open minded enough to realize that?

Physics is totally useless in medicine? Ask any radiation oncologist or someone in nuclear medicine if it's useless. You seriously are a dumba$$ and don't know enough about careers in medicine, but i'll take your asinine statement in the best way possible and look past your ignorance. I definitely don't bash the other premed majors that end up using their B.S. to work in a library, wash beakers, or pour coffee...I mean wouldn't you consider their education to be totally useless too in what they're doing? Why don't you ask those premeds what anthropology, psychology, or even bio has to do with waiting tables?

Just because you can't handle high school math doesn't mean it's not useful.

I want your reply, luthertakestwointhea$$

"That was one of the most inane respones I've seen in quite a while...almost as ridiculous as posting your question on SDN."

Oh. You are right. I should have said "essentially" useless.

"Just because you can't handle high school math doesn't mean it's not useful.

I want your reply, luthertakestwointhea$$"

Yep. It's so useful, the majority of med schools don't have any math reqs whatsoever.

and that the poor that would benefit would be whites and asians, because they tend to have higher test scores than similarly poor URMS

Not true! I dont know about Asians, but a lot of the white I went to school with were first generation college grads from poor backgrounds...And they did not do well on the MCAT.

Another thing about low incomme white students that I noticed in my institution (this may be unique to my institution) is that they had no interest whatsoever in being physicians! They honestly believed, just like many people claim that AAs do, that the system was 'working against them', and that the only people that get admitted to medical school are the kids of physicians or kids whose parents went to Harvard, etc.

The issue is that whether you are white or black, if you come from a predominantly American family, there is a culture of self-deprecation and self-demotivation that sets in. It sounds sad, but it is true. For immigrants, it's a totally different issue all together. Up to about the third generation, there is an innate optimism associated with integrating into a new system that is at work - almost like trying to believe that: a) The effort of uprooting oneself will be worth it for the children/off spring involved, no matter what individual personal sacrifices have been made, or b) It's much better here than it was before...etc, as the case may apply.

Not that through out American history, recent immigrants of whatever race have outperformed entrenched Americans of the same ethnic/racial categories...Happened with the Irish at turn of centruy, Italians shortly after that, Asians from 60s to 70s, and more recently, with Hispanics (there is evidence that Puerto Ricans and other (mainland?) latinos/Hispanics outperform long-established Hispanics academically).

Originally posted by mosoriire
Not true! I dont know about Asians, but a lot of the white I went to school with were first generation college grads from poor backgrounds...And they did not do well on the MCAT.

in a previous post this was cited as part of a research study i think? that asians and whites do better than similarly poor URMs....

Originally posted by camstah

in a previous post this was cited as part of a research study i think? that asians and whites do better than similarly poor URMs....

Poor whites and Asians preform about on the level of upperclass blacks on MCATs. I'm not sure why that is important, however.

Oh. You are right.

Thank you, I know I am.

I'll agree it's not all that important in medicine but hey, it wasn't just math we were talking about, it was also physics I mentioned. I mean, read thoroughly, I'm sure you can.

Anyway, I'm glad you at least know when you're wrong.

Another thing about low incomme white students that I noticed in my institution (this may be unique to my institution) is that they had no interest whatsoever in being physicians! They honestly believed, just like many people claim that AAs do, that the system was 'working against them', and that the only people that get admitted to medical school are the kids of physicians or kids whose parents went to Harvard, etc.

The issue is that whether you are white or black, if you come from a predominantly American family, there is a culture of self-deprecation and self-demotivation that sets in. It sounds sad, but it is true. For immigrants, it's a totally different issue all together. Up to about the third generation, there is an innate optimism associated with integrating into a new system that is at work

So damn true mosoriire. Most of the poor kids I knew simply wanted to go into business... simply b/c of how negatively they viewed medical careers.

The culture you mention. It's the most stagnant force you can possibly feel. It isn't just a negative/realistic viewpoint being permeated by American families, but also the community and people around you. It is like an attitude of premeditated failure. I have never felt more pity than for poor young people who are already defeated by life and have simply accepted that they will never become anything notable (and hence try to have children so that they can hope for something more in life... which of course traps them even more).

Upwardly mobile ethnic communities can sometimes provide great resources and outlets for people that might otherwise be trapped. Your example of different ethnic groups outperforming the entrenched ones is fantastic. This is also true for blacks v. african americans. I could throw a wrench into this though with white-looking Cubans vs. darker skinned refugee Cubans that came post 1970. The lighter skinned Cubans were much more successful at assimilationg socially/occupationally than darker skinned Cubans.
Anyway.... beyond the American culture of blatant racism there still exists classism.

All these posts are very interesting....

Yes, the last time I visited a hospital, the percentage of minority doctors was greater than 20%.

You seem to place a tremendous value on "diversity". What made you decide to go to an all black college?

This nation promised all of its citizens that they will not be discriminated on the basis of race in programs receiving federal financial assistance. You are taking away the civil right of these citizens to execute your plan of proportional racial representation. I figured you would feel guilty about that. My mistake.