Affirmative action...residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

banta

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI FOLKS!
Just wondering if race is considered a factor in being accepted to a residency? Is affirmative action for minorities still a factor that is considered when looking at applicants for residency like it is for medical school?

Thanks for your thoughts......Suzy B. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure that AA has ever been used in residency selection. Doubt that it is used currently. Most programs seem very set upon getting the "best" applicants possible.

As one whose sat in on the ranking meetings I'll tell you straight up that it certainly is a consideration @ many programs. Some Chairmen feel very strong in support of diversity (on many levels)and if you're a talented woman, black, rural white (who wants to return and practice in a rural area) ,or under represented ethnic minority considering surgery in 2003 you will certainly get more attention then you otherwise would.

I'd agree with droliver...we have a "mission" for example, to move more women into gen surg, and in particular, our residency program - so female applicants get more attention - to the tune that 3/4 of our Categorical interns are female this year.

Are you serious about affirmative action policies in residencies? Do you have any hard evidence on this? (internet files, pdf files, etc)? I would be really interested in seeing them.

Thanks!

Blitz

It's not really affirmative action. It's more like sentimentality to the notion of turning out doctors who will serve roles (in practice location or servicing minority communities in a broader sense) that your traditional white,male upper-middle class male would not choose to do. There's no quota system as such (That would be your medical school admission policies) but having some desirable qualities as a candidate (per race, gender,rural interest) can help open some doors these days.

Originally posted by droliver
It's more like sentimentality to the notion of turning out doctors who will serve roles (in practice location or servicing minority communities in a broader sense) that your traditional white,male upper-middle class male would not choose to do.
It's not that black surgeons or female surgeons take alternative positions with a different service population. Rather it is that there is desegregation and infiltration of the mainstream medical community, such that there is greater sensitivity to the beliefs, needs, problems of different cultures, genders, etc.

Is this a general tendency/propensity/sentimentality or whatever else you want to call it in medical residencies in general, or most specifically in surgery? Except for Ob/Gyn in these past 25 years, most fields have been dominated by the "stereotypical" white guy. Although that will at some point start changing (if it hasn't) since women have begun to make up an increasingly larger amount of medical graduates. Either way, the original question still stands -- how prevalent are these sentiments in residency programs and in what fields do they tend to permeate?

Originally posted by droliver
It's not really affirmative action. It's more like sentimentality...

I'd agree that affirmative action, in its full implementation, has to end at med school admissions. I'm talking about the quota system, and adding "points" to a minority candidate's score to which might place them above a candidate with a better academic/clinical record. The reason is that they are selecting these residents to actually provide care for patients, and they couldn't justify selecting someone with lesser clinical skills just because they fit a diversity profile.

Now, if all the candidates (white and minority) in a particular pool are very well qualified clinically, then I think it's justified to take diversity into account when selecting residents. I just don't think it would be justifiable to boost a minority student's score into an acceptable range if they otherwise would have been deemed unacceptable.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
I'd agree with droliver...we have a "mission" for example, to move more women into gen surg, and in particular, our residency program - so female applicants get more attention - to the tune that 3/4 of our Categorical interns are female this year.

What about the Penn St ob/gyn program?

Do they have a "mission" to recruit more males?

I seriously doubt it

Talk about a double standard

Originally posted by MacGyver
What about the Penn St ob/gyn program?

Do they have a "mission" to recruit more males?

I seriously doubt it

Talk about a double standard

Obviously not. I agree - it would be nice to have more males in Ob-Gyn - its gone from nearly all men in the field, to being aan overwhelmingly female dominated specialty.

The Chair of the Surgery department (Wiley Souba MD, MBA)) is the one with the mission, not PSU/Hershey Med in general. I'm sorry if you misunderstood me. Thus, while it might appear there is a double standard, it is irrelevant here because the two departments are independent in their policies and procedures.

For reasons why there aren't more males in the PSU Ob-Gyn residency, you'd have to talk to their department Chair because they function separately from General Surgery and we have no control over their policies.

The great Constitution of the United States has been **** on. "Diversity" has been made a goal by the liberals of this country. "Diversity" can still be used as a consideration, but not to give outright points on an application score. This is just calling those added points something else, renaming those booster points. Now all they have to say, and do, is oh Mr. Whitemale had a 35 on the MCAT and Ms. Blackmale had a 28, I doubt that it's a statistically significant difference, and since these 2 applicants are equal, lets go with the one with increase "diversity." This makes me sick and it should make you sick too. Call me Hitler, but diversity is a myth, it's a distribution which does not normall exist in nature and we're forcing it. Oh well, I guess it's only the patients who suffer, the Mr. Whitemale can apply to a different school which will tell him he's too pale for the job!

Originally posted by banta
HI FOLKS!
Just wondering if race is considered a factor in being accepted to a residency? Is affirmative action for minorities still a factor that is considered when looking at applicants for residency like it is for medical school?

Thanks for your thoughts......Suzy B. :)

Hi there,
I am very sure that race is not considered a factor in residency selection and is not much of a factor when it comes to medical school admissions. Affirmative action, for the sake of having certain "numbers" of women, minorities and disabled, has largely been deemed illegal and is not needed or desirable in 2003.

There are enough well-qualified residency and medical school applicants who are women, minorities and disabled so that program directors and admissions committees do not HAVE to look at race or sex only to find diversity. Most residency directors are looking for people who can get the job done. Surprisingly, plenty women, minorities and disabled folks can do just that.

Good programs choose highly qualified folks and make their residency program or medical schools attractive so that a diversity of well-qualified folks apply to and rank them. The "diversity" question then generally takes care of itself.

If you are planning on applying to a residency program because you think that you can get in on just your ethnicity, sex or disability status because you can add diversity, think again. Affirmative action is largely dead.

njbmd :cool:

Originally posted by Fermi
I'd agree that affirmative action, in its full implementation, has to end at med school admissions. I'm talking about the quota system, and adding "points" to a minority candidate's score to which might place them above a candidate with a better academic/clinical record. The reason is that they are selecting these residents to actually provide care for patients, and they couldn't justify selecting someone with lesser clinical skills just because they fit a diversity profile.

Agreed.

Originally posted by njbmd
I am very sure that race is not considered a factor in residency selection and is not much of a factor when it comes to medical school admissions.
You're way off here I'm afraid. AA is very much applied in admissions processes, for medical school admissions and in filling residency slots.

I'm uncertain what you mean when you state that AA is 'illegal'. In fact, in the recent high profile Supreme Court cases of Grutter v Bollinger and Gratz v Bollinger, in which the affirmative action admissions practices of both the U of Mich and the U of Mich Law School were challenged, the rulings upheld the practice of AA.

Both my medical school and my residency did practice, and continue to practice, AA in their admissions criteria. I just reviewed the hiring practices of my thirty member multi-specialty group last week. We proudly continue to practice affirmative action in our hiring, and it is clearly stated to that effect in our company manual.

Yay! Go AA!!

Affirmative action is more alive now then it's ever been. It isn't just used in medical school and residency selection either; it's incredibley pervasive throughout our society. Practically every academic application process and job application (for large companies) takes race into account. The fact is that at this point in history, without affirmative action it would be very difficult to achieve diversity in competitive application processes. Hopefully someday that will change, but probably not anytime soon. So get used to affirmative action!

That said, while most residencies do consider race in their applicants, I doubt that most consider it as strongly as the medical school application process. This is because residencies often only take a few residents every year and depend on those people to do a lot of the important work at that institution. So if they're only going to accept 2 or 3 people, they're going to want to take the best candidates, w/o considering race so strongly.

Originally posted by Sledge2005
So if they're only going to accept 2 or 3 people, they're going to want to take the best candidates, w/o considering race so strongly.

Chosing diversity AND accepting the best candidate is NOT a mutually exclusive event!:mad: :rolleyes:

Most residency directors are looking for people who can get the job done. Surprisingly, plenty women, minorities and disabled folks can do just that.

Heelloooooo? Did ANYONE other than me get this?

Most residency directors are looking for people who can get the job done. Surprisingly, plenty women, minorities and disabled folks can do just that.

Before you get your panties twisted up in a big ole knot, you might wish to know that I think NJMD is using her biting sense of humor here. She also happens to be an African-American. I proud to know her personally and can unquivocally state that she is one of the most intelligent, driven, dynamic & compassionate physicians I have ever known. She is a huge advocate of people who strive to overcome the odds.

So, before you jump into the deep end of the pool and get those fingers clicking on the keyboard, you might want to think through your replies...:clap: :cool: :D

+pissed+

"Chosing diversity AND accepting the best candidate is NOT a mutually exclusive event! "

What does that even mean? Best candadite by whos criteria. If you difine the best candidate as someone "diverse" (ie..black/hispanic) the best candite as you say will be "diverse".
If best candidate means the person most likely to do a good job, that sometimes that will mean a diverse class, somtimes it will not.

Originally posted by OldManDave
Before you get your panties twisted up in a big ole knot, you might wish to know that I think NJMD is using her biting sense of humor here.

What????????? I'm a minority woman too!!!!!!!:rolleyes: You OBVIOUSLY misunderstood my post. You may want to get the prescription changed on your bifocals:laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by pathdr2b
Chosing diversity AND accepting the best candidate is NOT a mutually exclusive event!:mad: :rolleyes:

I never said that there weren't plenty of women, minorities, and disabled folk who weren't qualified. However, competitive residencies have hundreds of applicants WHO ARE ALL QUALIFIED. In deciding which of these qualified candidates to choose, race and sex are factors. Often applicants are accepted who most likely wouldn't have been accepted if they were white or asian. I'm not taking a stance and saying that's right or wrong. My point was simply that affirmative action is very far from dead.

Originally posted by ribcrackindoc
The great Constitution of the United States has been **** on. "Diversity" has been made a goal by the liberals of this country. "Diversity" can still be used as a consideration, but not to give outright points on an application score. This is just calling those added points something else, renaming those booster points. Now all they have to say, and do, is oh Mr. Whitemale had a 35 on the MCAT and Ms. Blackmale had a 28, I doubt that it's a statistically significant difference, and since these 2 applicants are equal, lets go with the one with increase "diversity." This makes me sick and it should make you sick too. Call me Hitler, but diversity is a myth, it's a distribution which does not normall exist in nature and we're forcing it. Oh well, I guess it's only the patients who suffer, the Mr. Whitemale can apply to a different school which will tell him he's too pale for the job!

WOW, this is pretty harsh. So are you saying that all white medical students are "qualified" to have those positions. I happen to know plenty of white students in medical school simply because their parents/family members are affiliated with certain hospitals, and who had very unimpressive MCAT scores.

Perhaps you should base a persons success at being a great doctor on more than MCAT or Boards scores alone. A study in Cali several years ago showed that students who scored lower on board scores went on to perform just as well, and better, as physicians, than the students with higher board scores.

Personally, I believe anyone who graduates from medical school is qualified to be a resident in any field, and at any residency program regardless of sex/race/creed/etc...To graduated means that you possess the necessary tools (academically, physically, and mentally) to succeed as a physician, residency is just more specialized training. Honestly, there are ultrasound techs that can read a cardiac echo better than some attendings...The point is if you're smart enouh (or stupid enough, depending on how you look at it) to complete med school, then you can be trained successfully in any residency you desire...and people shouldn't use board scores alone as an indicator of success as a physician...

I never said that there weren't plenty of women, minorities, and disabled folk who weren't qualified. However, competitive residencies have hundreds of applicants WHO ARE ALL QUALIFIED. In deciding which of these qualified candidates to choose, race and sex are factors. Often applicants are accepted who most likely wouldn't have been accepted if they were white or asian. I'm not taking a stance and saying that's right or wrong. My point was simply that affirmative action is very far from dead.

Point well taken......but how does choosing a minority over a white person constitute affirmative action?

In the end, in choosing candidates for residency (and any job) there are many factors to consider that go beyond race, sex, and board scores such as personality, recommendations, chemistry, etc...Unfortunately, what you are calling affirmative action is just diversification. Perhaps, some programs directors would like to see the make-up of their residency reflecting the make-up of their patient population, which happens to be very diverse in some cases. As an AA female working in urban EDs, both private and community, I have the opportunity to interact with minority patients in ways that no white resident will likely ever be privy to. This goes way beyond textbook learning. And along the way, I get to teach some skeptical patients, and occassionally people who feel I only got this spot b/c of the color in my skin, that minorities can make great doctors, too.

Originally posted by pathdr2b

Great, so why do we need to give extra "points" for diversity?

If diversity and excellence are coupled as you say they are, then just accepting applicants based on excellence alone would provide enough diversity.

Again, if thats true, why does "diversity" need to be a consideration?

If women and minorities are JUST as good as their white male counterparts, then judging applicants based on excellence alone would provide the "diversity" you seek.

Originally posted by sweetfynesse
Point well taken......but how does choosing a minority over a white person constitute affirmative action?

If race is used AT ALL in the process, then its de facto racial discrimination. You can call it affirmative action or whatever you want.

A black person is denied housing IN PART because of their race: racial discrimination

A white person is denied a residency slot IN PART because of their race: racial discrimination

In the end, in choosing candidates for residency (and any job) there are many factors to consider that go beyond race, sex, and board scores such as personality, recommendations, chemistry, etc...

So what? Just because race is one factor among many doesnt diminish the immorality of racial discrimination.

If a car salesman says that black people have to pay an extra $10 for a car, whereas white people dont, then its STILL racial discrimination, even if race is only a small factor in denying access.

Unfortunately, what you are calling affirmative action is just diversification.

You are just playing with word semantics here. Anytime race is used, to ANY DEGREE, in an admissions process, its de facto racial discrimination.

You can attach any other word labels to it that you like, but it doesnt change the true meaning of the process.

Perhaps, some programs directors would like to see the make-up of their residency reflecting the make-up of their patient population, which happens to be very diverse in some cases.

So you are arguing that diversity is so important that it warrants racial discrimination? You could make a decent argument on that--but lets call it what it is.

As an AA female working in urban EDs, both private and community, I have the opportunity to interact with minority patients in ways that no white resident will likely ever be privy to.

I'm assuming you are granting the same assumption to white doctors who treat white patients.

This goes way beyond textbook learning. And along the way, I get to teach some skeptical patients, and occassionally people who feel I only got this spot b/c of the color in my skin, that minorities can make great doctors, too.

Since you believe minorities make great doctors and are EQUALLY qualified as their white counterparts, then where is the need for racial discrimination?

You cant have it both ways. Either the minority applicants are just as good as the whites and they dont need a racial "bonus"; or they are not as good and therefore need a bonus to be accepted otherwise.

Originally posted by MacGyver
If race is used AT ALL in the process, then its de facto racial discrimination. You can call it affirmative action or whatever you want.

A black person is denied housing IN PART because of their race: racial discrimination

A white person is denied a residency slot IN PART because of their race: racial discrimination

Acually, I didn't make up the definitions. They're clearly written in law. I guess I can call it what ever I want secondary to free will, but then I'd just be wrong. And, yes, all those are examples of racial discrimination.

So what? Just because race is one factor among many doesnt diminish the immorality of racial discrimination.

If a car salesman says that black people have to pay an extra $10 for a car, whereas white people dont, then its STILL racial discrimination, even if race is only a small factor in denying access.

I agree. I deal with it almost eveyday. And I'm sure if you wanted to, then you can come up with something that you were discriminated against as well.

You are just playing with word semantics here. Anytime race is used, to ANY DEGREE, in an admissions process, its de facto racial discrimination.

You can attach any other word labels to it that you like, but it doesnt change the true meaning of the process.

No, I am not playing with words any more than you are. My point is simply that affirmative action does not equate with choosing a minority over a white person.

So you are arguing that diversity is so important that it warrants racial discrimination? You could make a decent argument on that--but lets call it what it is.

Actually, I didn't say that at all. But, while we're playing this game, what do you think PDs should consider in choosing a residency class? If we took out race/sex/sexual orientation/student from rural areas/etc, then what are we left with to compare applicant? And, do you feel those aren't used in the decision making process?

It seems to me that in order for discrimination not to occur in your eyes, then PDs need to have only one item to consider, otherwise someone will always cry discrimination?

All I am saying is there are a variety of factors/characteristics that PDs consider

I'm assuming you are granting the same assumption to white doctors who treat white patients.

In many instances, yes, that assumption applies all ways. Just as it applies when I treat some Spanish-speaking patients. They often ask for a Spanish-speaking nurse/doctor because it makes them more comfortable, even though they may speak great English. And I don't find that offensive at all. On my last shift in the ED, I had a white patient tell me he preferred for the white intern to do his LP. It happens. So, yes, I feel some white people are more comfortable being treated by someone of their own race. But, dont get me wrong, not all Blacks want to be treated by Black doctors...Pleas, don't try to read too much into this.

Since you believe minorities make great doctors and are EQUALLY qualified as their white counterparts, then where is the need for racial discrimination?

There isn't a need. I never said there was. We, all of us, need to stop assuming because someone of another race got the position, that it was racially motivated. Everything has its place, and nothing is black and white. I maintain the argument that residency positions are made on a variety of factors that go beyond what you see on the surface, and excellence in medicine is not synonymous with being of a particular race or having particular board scores.

You cant have it both ways. Either the minority applicants are just as good as the whites and they dont need a racial "bonus"; or they are not as good and therefore need a bonus to be accepted otherwise.

Good at what...taking a written test. Because obviously thats the only thing you're basing your argument on. Personally, I know I outscored a lot of people--ie people, not groups of people- on boards and the such, and I'm not in residency on some free ticket someone gave me because they felt sorry for me....Oh, but if you really want the truth, I feel minority resident appilcants are even better than most whites. But it would take five lifetimes for you to even grasp the significance of my argument, so I'll leave it there...

First off, let me just say to MacGyver: your last 2 posts were GREAT. What you said was logical, and although it was simple, it was powerful because people don't seem to understand that anymore

Here's my question to anyone who isn't sickened by AA: WHY IS "DIVERSITY" SO IMPORTANT?????

Honestly, you don't hear anyone screaming that whites and asians are "underrepresented" in professional sports!!!!!! NO! You know why??? The answer is because it's OK for someone to lack athleticism. It's OK that blacks are more athletic than whites and asians. 15% of our nation is Black yet 80 something per cent of our nations greatest athletes are Black. That's statistically significant, and it pretty much proves that Blacks are a superior race in terms of athleticism. I know that statement made nearly everyone who read it a little uneasy, but not too uneasy. It's OK because very few jobs require athleticism. It's OK because athleticism isn't required to be a "successful" in this nation. It's easy for an unathletic person to admit that they aren't athletic. It's OK because it's not a terribly damaging thing for someone to be physically weaker.

INTELLIGENCE, on the other hand, is a totally different story. Any time a job which requires intelligence lacks "diversity" everyone cries that there MUST BE a discriminative proccess going on. We say that because the alternative is that "diversity" is lacking for a good reason. But we won't even entertain the possibility that one race could be smarter than another. We could all agree that some people are smarter than other people, and even that because intelligence is purely genetic, that some families are smarter than other families. But as soon as I say that a group of families (a race) could potentially be smarter than another group of families, people refuse to agree that it's even possible. People refuse to agree because we are all equal all of a sudden and "diversity is good." Let me tell you something. Diversity is a myth, and it's not good OR bad. When it happens to occur (which is obviously a rare event) naturally, so be it. But when it doesn't happen to occur, we need to again say "so be it." We shouldn't go force it where it doesn't naturally occur. We don't force it on the basketball court. We certainly shouldn't force it where it matters more, in medicine where our children's lives are at stake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, I'm no racist. If my kid needs surgery and the smartest and most talented surgeon is green, I don't care. I'm just trying to put it another way to show how rediculous AA is. Go ahead you liberal whack jobs, pounce all over this. Your touchy feely thoughts should be entertaining. Just remember, as MacGyver said:

Thank you and good-night

ribcrackindoc,

you seem to think that only the best doctors are the ones who have stellar mcat/board scores. Test scores, especially ones from standardized tests, have NOTHING to do with someone's intelligence OR clinical competency.

What EXACTLY is it that you feel should be the criteria for entrance into medical school or a residency program? It seems to me from reading several of your posts that you feel like scores are the only thing to take into consideration. Is that true? Correct me if I'm wrong. I can guarantee you that having stellar scores does not inevitably make you a competent and caring physician.

Patients DO care who their physicians are. I can guarantee you that patients want someone that they can relate to and many times that means having a doc who is of the same ethnicity/sex/language that they are.

Your anger towards this whole issue makes me wonder where you got screwed along the way. Were you not accepted to an MD school? I also wonder if you approach your fellow hispanic, black colleagues with the attitude that they ONLY got their based on their race.

I think that the point of AA is to try to make a situation of "if all other things were equal" by creating a generation of under-represented minorities in professions and higher up on the corporate ladder with the hope that their children will grow up with the same advantages that "over-represented" people supposedly have that allows them to succeed. I don't think that it really gets at the heart of the problem though, it's much more of cultural "problem", if you want to call it that. It's been very well documented that many (note that I did not say all) under-represented children grow up around parents and peers that don't value education. To think that AA will correct this is a farce though, since all AA does is promote children who already come from highly educated families up higher on the ladder and emphasize to them that "education is not important" because "grades and numbers aren't everything". Think about it, do you know any URM's at your med school that came from inner-city families where generation after generation work in blue collar jobs or from broken families where parents are abusive or addicted to drugs. I suspect that there are many more white children who make it to med school under those circumstances then URM's. AA does nothing to get people out of that cycle, it only takes the best of the best URM's and gives them a small boost. To attribute the entire URM problem to racism is an insult to those other minorities (asians, indians) who have suceeded despite the racism that they face, and actually I read a recent study that suggested that hate crimes happen against asians more then other minority here in the US. And then there are the Jewish of course, who seem to be successful in every environment that they are placed in despite the well documented animosity towards them. I also think that it's ridiculous to argue racism is the URM problem when hispanics are URM's, and you can't even tell that many hispanics are hispanics and not plain white americans unless they can't speak english. It's definitely a complicated situation though, because even though I don't think that it's really fair, even I would be opposed to dismantling AA flat out because the number of URM's would drop off so dramatically that more then half of the med schools out there would have 0 URM's (the aamc published an article commenting on the dramatic drop off of acceptance into med schools urms would face if this were to occur a few years ago). I couldn't imagine what kind of racism that would breed among med school classes, because if you think about it, if all you see are URM's being admitted to your hospital (since most of us work in inner cities) addicted to drugs, HIV positive, and poorly educated, then you would no doubt begin to think that all URM's were like this despite your best efforts to not. I've always thought that the best way to make URM's stop being URM's is to be aggressive when they are young, have things like busing programs so that they can interact with the non-URM's; while keeping AA active for URM's of lower socioeconomic status so that you can continually infuse new groups of URM's who actually wouldn't have the chance to suceed. I do think that the whole idea of one race being "better" then another race just naturally makes no sense at all, since it would make no sense that skin color would correlate with anything besides skin color. They've done studies have shown this, as many "blacks", are not in fact african blacks, but rather have mixed family histories with whites, some have so many white ancestors that many other countries would call them white, not black. Americans usually classify anybody with any detectable "black" traits as black, even if genetically, they are predominately white; a lot of southern american countries are more accurate in classifying "race". If there was a difference, you would expect that the more white ancestors that a "black" person had in their family history, the higher they would score on IQ tests. This was shown to be completely false, there was no stastical difference between someone who came from a predominant white family background but who was still considered "black" by american standards versus a more pure person of african ancestry, genetically speaking. Anyways, I don't mean to offend anyone by this post, I know that it's a sensitive topic, so I will just end by reminding everyone that they end product of AA is good. There was a study a few years ago that evaluated URM's and compared them to non-URM's and whites and found that attending physicians rated their clinical skills as being equal to the non-URM's and whites, suggesting that AA is certainly not creating a "worse surgeon" or "deficient doctor" as some others would suggest. And there are of course many stellar physicians who would not have been found without AA.

Originally posted by Noelle
ribcrackindoc,

you seem to think that only the best doctors are the ones who have stellar mcat/board scores. Test scores, especially ones from standardized tests, have NOTHING to do with someone's intelligence OR clinical competency.

What EXACTLY is it that you feel should be the criteria for entrance into medical school or a residency program? It seems to me from reading several of your posts that you feel like scores are the only thing to take into consideration. Is that true? Correct me if I'm wrong. I can guarantee you that having stellar scores does not inevitably make you a competent and caring physician.

Patients DO care who their physicians are. I can guarantee you that patients want someone that they can relate to and many times that means having a doc who is of the same ethnicity/sex/language that they are.

Your anger towards this whole issue makes me wonder where you got screwed along the way. Were you not accepted to an MD school? I also wonder if you approach your fellow hispanic, black colleagues with the attitude that they ONLY got their based on their race.

Thank you, Noelle...That was exactly my point. Unfortunately, it is hard to get some narrow-minded people to understand that being a good physician goes far beyond stellar performance on a written test. So, I guess they would just recommend PDs skip the entire interview process, recommendations, personal statements, extracurricular activities, etc. and just glance over school and boards transcripts. Hell, why even apply at all, just have board scores automatically transmitted to all programs, and then wait until they recruit applicants themselves. But then, they can't send names along with the scores, because certain people have ethnic and gender-specific names, and they will be quickly given bonus points because there is no way they could qualify for the job otherwise...yeah, that sounds like a better way to chose the best resident/student for the job;)

Originally posted by ckent
I think that the point of AA is to try to make a situation of "if all other things were equal" by creating a generation of under-represented minorities in professions and higher up on the corporate ladder with the hope that their children will grow up with the same advantages that "over-represented" people supposedly have that allows them to succeed. I don't think that it really gets at the heart of the problem though, it's much more of cultural "problem", if you want to call it that. It's been very well documented that many (note that I did not say all) under-represented children grow up around parents and peers that don't value education. To think that AA will correct this is a farce though, since all AA does is promote children who already come from highly educated families up higher on the ladder and emphasize to them that "education is not important" because "grades and numbers aren't everything". Think about it, do you know any URM's at your med school that came from inner-city families where generation after generation work in blue collar jobs or from broken families where parents are abusive or addicted to drugs. I suspect that there are many more white children who make it to med school under those circumstances then URM's. AA does nothing to get people out of that cycle, it only takes the best of the best URM's and gives them a small boost. To attribute the entire URM problem to racism is an insult to those other minorities (asians, indians) who have suceeded despite the racism that they face, and actually I read a recent study that suggested that hate crimes happen against asians more then other minority here in the US. And then there are the Jewish of course, who seem to be successful in every environment that they are placed in despite the well documented animosity towards them. I also think that it's ridiculous to argue racism is the URM problem when hispanics are URM's, and you can't even tell that many hispanics are hispanics and not plain white americans unless they can't speak english. It's definitely a complicated situation though, because even though I don't think that it's really fair, even I would be opposed to dismantling AA flat out because the number of URM's would drop off so dramatically that more then half of the med schools out there would have 0 URM's (the aamc published an article commenting on the dramatic drop off of acceptance into med schools urms would face if this were to occur a few years ago). I couldn't imagine what kind of racism that would breed among med school classes, because if you think about it, if all you see are URM's being admitted to your hospital (since most of us work in inner cities) addicted to drugs, HIV positive, and poorly educated, then you would no doubt begin to think that all URM's were like this despite your best efforts to not. I've always thought that the best way to make URM's stop being URM's is to be aggressive when they are young, have things like busing programs so that they can interact with the non-URM's; while keeping AA active for URM's of lower socioeconomic status so that you can continually infuse new groups of URM's who actually wouldn't have the chance to suceed. I do think that the whole idea of one race being "better" then another race just naturally makes no sense at all, since it would make no sense that skin color would correlate with anything besides skin color. They've done studies have shown this, as many "blacks", are not in fact african blacks, but rather have mixed family histories with whites, some have so many white ancestors that many other countries would call them white, not black. Americans usually classify anybody with any detectable "black" traits as black, even if genetically, they are predominately white; a lot of southern american countries are more accurate in classifying "race". If there was a difference, you would expect that the more white ancestors that a "black" person had in their family history, the higher they would score on IQ tests. This was shown to be completely false, there was no stastical difference between someone who came from a predominant white family background but who was still considered "black" by american standards versus a more pure person of african ancestry, genetically speaking. Anyways, I don't mean to offend anyone by this post, I know that it's a sensitive topic, so I will just end by reminding everyone that they end product of AA is good. There was a study a few years ago that evaluated URM's and compared them to non-URM's and whites and found that attending physicians rated their clinical skills as being equal to the non-URM's and whites, suggesting that AA is certainly not creating a "worse surgeon" or "deficient doctor" as some others would suggest. And there are of course many stellar physicians who would not have been found without AA.
They're called paragraphs. Look into them +pissed+ ;)

Noelle,
I understand that there is much more to being a great doctor than great mcat and board scores. That's not at all what I meant. I have to disagree though with your statement that the scores have "NOTHING to do with someone's intelligence OR clinical competency." I'm not saying they are a perfect indicator, but come on, you can't really believe that. We could argue forever about it but can I get you at least to take back the word "NOTHING" from that sentence? I mean, the top 100 students in the nation must be on average more intelligent than the bottom 100 students who just barely passed. They have got to be better docs too, they just have more info in their brains than the students with poor scores, they can think more clearly, understand the physio and path more completely, and make a bigger and more logical differential. They simply understand the human body and the science of medicine better than those who just pass. They understand because they're brilliant in addition to hard working. Hard work only gets you so far
I don't claim to have the answer to what the perfect formula is for admission but I do believe:
1) standardized testing does give insight to a students ability to think and although it's not perfect, it should be used heavily because it's the one and only truly objective thing we have to compare applicants
2) race and sex should be kept out of the equation all together
3) of course other things like LOR, personality, and work ethic are important and should be used to some extent
4) brilliant jerks should not be doctors
*5) you may be right that some patients want a doc of the same race BUT what about the American dream? What about the Asian guy who was brilliant and caring and the works but got denied because there are a finite number of seats and his was given to someone who was a less intelligent but caring and the works Black guy? We are taking away that Asian guy's rights by denying him based on skin color.

You're right I'm very angry towards this whole issue and I'm trying to make other people understand why they should also be IRATE. You would think that I got screwed somewhere along the way but I got into med school first try, and I only applied to 4 DO schools and I got in my first choice, so I wasn't forced into the osteopathic world, I chose it. This will really make my classmates mad, but I think the average DO is probably a little less intelligent than the average MD. I went into osteopathic medicine because I thought it was better than allopathic medicine. The "whole person" approach really caught my interest when I was in college so I only applied to osteopathic programs. Now I know that it's really no different than allopathic medicine, and that "whole person" junk is just propaganda. I'm not insecure about the letters which will follow my name.

Anyways, I'm really not a racist at all (I won't waste words trying to convince you), but to tell you the truth, if I had to bring my kid to a doctor, I would bring him to an asian or white doc if I had the choice between them and a Black doc. I know why most Black med students are accepted, and it's got nothing to do with their brains. And that is very unfortunate for the brilliant Black med students who actually did earn their way in legitimatally. I'm just playing the numbers, and if my son's life is on the line, I don't care who I offend.

Ckent, you say that in the end the AA products are equally talented physicians. OK, maybe "they" did find that to be true. I don't believe it and can't believe it, but it doesn't matter because it's besides the main point. The main point is that there are a finite number of spots in medical school. Every time you give an undeserving URM a spot, your STEALING A SPOT FROM A WHITE OR ASIAN WHO DESERVES TO BE THERE. YOU ARE DESTROYING THE AMERICAN DREAM. YOU ARE SAYING F-YOU TO THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES

I ask you all again: WHY IS "DIVERSITY" BETTER THAN A LACK OF DIVERSITY?????
WHY IS DIVERSITY A GOAL????
Why is it SO important to make Blacks "Properly Represented" but it's not importand to make Whites and Asians properly represented in the NBA???? This may seem silly, but seriously, what's the difference???? And please don't say anything about opportunities, they have more opportunities than they can count

One more thing:
At my med school, everyone who fails the first anatomy test gets mandatory tutoring. But every Black student gets mandatory tutoring starting one week before classes even begin. They don't even wait for the Blacks to fail. How is this not racism? They do it because nearly all of them end up needing a tutor after the first test anyways. They know they will have trouble, yet they still grant them admission. How sick is this?
Also, not a single Black student qualified to apply for the honors fraternity, but every Asian did. I'm not Asian, but I have no problem admitting that they excel because they have work ethic and superior brain power (IQ). Remember, you're born with your IQ, it doesn't change unless you have neurological damage.

I also agree that everyone should have the same treatment. Everyone should just be assigned a number and their name, race, age etc. should not appear with the rest of the application. Not only that but there are many states where it is much easier to get in, why should someone with much lower scores get a spot just b/c of the small applicant pool in that state?

At some programs, yes affirmative action defintely exists. My story...I did an elective at a particular program. The PD took a very strong interest in every visiting student and met with each of us individually before we left. So I applied there, and didn't get an interview. The rejection letter implied that I was not interviewed because I didn't make AOA (I was nominated but not elected). The PD told me via email (he welcomed email contact from the visiting students) after that that he didn't think I was competitive for their program.

Meanwhile, one of my classmates, who is african american, also applied to this program. She was granted an interview though she wasn't even nomintated for AOA (i know this becuase the list of nominees was distributed to the class for a class vote).

So white female with better GPA doesn't get interview, AAF with lower grades does. No rocket science needed here.

As an aside, anyone worried about AOA ...it's just another popularity contest. Grades get you nominated. Popluarity gets you in.

Originally posted by md03
At some programs, yes affirmative action defintely exists. My story...I did an elective at a particular program. The PD took a very strong interest in every visiting student and met with each of us individually before we left. So I applied there, and didn't get an interview. The rejection letter implied that I was not interviewed because I didn't make AOA (I was nominated but not elected). The PD told me via email (he welcomed email contact from the visiting students) after that that he didn't think I was competitive for their program.

Meanwhile, one of my classmates, who is african american, also applied to this program. She was granted an interview though she wasn't even nomintated for AOA (i know this becuase the list of nominees was distributed to the class for a class vote).

So white female with better GPA doesn't get interview, AAF with lower grades does. No rocket science needed here.

As an aside, anyone worried about AOA ...it's just another popularity contest. Grades get you nominated. Popluarity gets you in.

Maybe the PD was just trying to make excuses as to why they didn't select you. Could it be that they just didn't like the way you fit with the current residents, or maybe they didn't dig your performance? Sometimes, people just offer ridiculous excuses, not knowing that you would be the wiser. Anyway, it's probably best that you didn't get an interview seeing as they didn't want you anyway...IMHO...

granted, I do think it sucks that he mentioned you didn't get an interview based on your AOA status, but the AAF was in the same situation and was granted an interview...Also, I think you make a very great point about AOA being just a popularity contest, because we had a few african-americans in the top 5% of our med school who didn't even get nominated. So, don't feel like its just a white thing!!!

Originally posted by sweetfynesse
Also, I think you make a very great point about AOA being just a popularity contest, because we had a few african-americans in the top 5% of our med school who didn't even get nominated. So, don't feel like its just a white thing!!!

I thought that you were automatically nominated if you were in the top 5% of your class? The majority (if not all) of people in the top 5% of my med school class get accepted into AOA. So, I'd be very surprised if anybody in the top 5%, but especially an african american, wasn't even nominated. Are you sure that you know what their class rank was?

Just an interesting note about affirmative action. One of my friends on the admissions committee said that so many more girls are applying to my med school, and are such better applicants, that it's a little easier to get in if you're a guy b/c they don't want our 60:40 female to male ratio get any worse!

"One of my friends on the admissions committee said that so many more girls are applying to my med school, and are such better applicants,"

BS....from the miami adcom meeting minutes...

"Dr. Malek further noted that extra points were given to minority applicants, non-traditional applicants, and women in recognition of the fact that they tend to score lower on the MCAT exam. He stated that the Admission Committee members evaluated 934 completed applications using this instrument."

They give EXTRA points to minoirties and women because they have scores worse than men and need the extra to be as competitve.

I know this thread is about residenct and it may be true there, but not in med school.

http://medicalcouncil.med.miami.edu/minutes/051402.html

I thought that you were automatically nominated if you were in the top 5% of your class? The majority (if not all) of people in the top 5% of my med school class get accepted into AOA

I think it's true that you can be automatically nominated. But in a large (approx 150) class such as mine...not everyone could get in.

Not that I had to worry about that... :(

OK, I'm adding my 2 cents pretty late in the game to this thread so I'm not going to even mention some of the incredibly racist and disturbing comments that were made (oops! I just did - oh well) - but I did want to bring up something that wasn't said about why many people think that it is important to increase the numbers of underrepresented minority physicians practicing.

A study was published in the New England Journal on the correlation between the ethnicity of physicians and where they chose to practice http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entr...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8609949&dopt=Abstract. The vast majority of these Black and Latino mds chose to practice in populations that are majoritarily of their own ethnicity, who incidentally happen to be traditionally underserved as defined by the gov.

So it is reasonable to feel that increasing the number of underrepresented minorities in the clincal sciences will increase the access to health care for swaths of the population who do not currently have it. That - independantly of any notion of diversity - should be reason enough to try to increase the number of underrepresented minority physicians if you feel that all residents of this country are entitled to have a qualified health provider within their community.

"... if you feel that all residents of this country are entitled to have a qualified health provider within their community."

Why should *all* residents of this country be *entitled* to have a health provider in the community?

If you were the only doctor in podunk north dakota and the dakotan government forced you to stay in the state because you are the only doctor there to fulfill the "entitlement" of the people to have a health care provider in their community, where have *your* rights gone?

Originally posted by Ligament
"... if you feel that all residents of this country are entitled to have a qualified health provider within their community."

Why should *all* residents of this country be *entitled* to have a health provider in the community?

Listen - there's a reason I used "if". I am aware that there are people who feel otherwise.

I happen to believe that everyone deserves equal access to health care in which case the argument in favor of training more underrepresented minorities holds.

I am going into medicine with the firm intention of providing equal quality of care for klansmen, convicted rapists, and Mother Theresa - that's part of my version of the American dream - equal access to education, health care, and other social structures.

Contrary to some people here I do not feel that I am god and that I have acquired the wisdom to mete out justice in the form of providing or withholding care. Who am I to decide that this person is entitled and this other person is not entitled to health care? I cannot judge and I don't want to. If I did, I would have chosen another profession.

Originally posted by Ligament
If you were the only doctor in podunk north dakota and the dakotan government forced you to stay in the state because you are the only doctor there to fulfill the "entitlement" of the people to have a health care provider in their community, where have *your* rights gone?

To get back to your argument and to put it into the context of this thread - say that no one wants to practice in N. Dakota but that there are 2 candidates for med school/residency/fellowship with the exact same grades, etc, same profile and one happens to hail from N. Dakota and to state a strong desire to return to where she or he grew up to become a health provider there - well if I had anything to do with the admissions process I would favor the 2nd candidate simply because they were capable of providing a service that the first one wasn't and in consequence the 2nd one was the more qualified candidate. That was the point I tried to make in my first post.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything...or practice anywhere

But if you think the upper middle class trust fund kid whose parents are doctors and grandparents are doctors(yes...I know them) are going to practice in PODUNK N. Dakota, or inner city Baltimore, MD or poor rural section of Decatur, GA , then you've got another thing coming.

Not saying it couldn't happen...but it's the exception and not the norm.

From ribcrackindoc: "Anyways, I'm really not a racist at all (I won't waste words trying to convince you), but to tell you the truth, if I had to bring my kid to a doctor, I would bring him to an asian or white doc if I had the choice between them and a Black doc."

I sure hope your kid doesn't end up like Jesica Santillan (botched surgery performed by Dr. James Jaggers), or Arturo Iturralde (botched surgery performed by Dr. Robert Ricketson).

Hope your kid doesn't see someone like Dr. Chae Hyun Moon (performed unnecessary heart procedures), or Dr. Allan Zarkin (carved his initials into the belly of a patient after performing a C-section).

Sure, G.P.A.s and Board scores are important, but ALL doctors (white, asian, black, whatever) can make mistakes.

Originally posted by Heathcliff
From ribcrackindoc:

Sure, G.P.A.s and Board scores are important, but ALL doctors (white, asian, black, whatever) can make mistakes.

I really dislike the use of the word "asian" when saying it in the same breath as the words "white" and "black." "Yellow" seems more consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.