Affordable Care Act... Anyone else in the same boat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5HTburb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a dental student @ Minnesota. Recently I turned 24 and was informed by my parent's insurance co. that I would no longer be able to stay on their plan. I thought the Affordable Care Act allowed full-time students to stay on their parent's plans until their 26th birthday? My parent insurance company is BCBS of Montana. They said I would have to find my own provider for a year, reapply next Sept., where I could then be put back on my parent's plan until my 26th birthday. I know that may sound confusing, but basically they said I would have to get my own policy for a year, which means less fun money for me :mad:.

Anyway this just really doesn't make any sense to me. Anyone gone through something similar? Or maybe just more knowledgeable of when this act is being implemented?

Much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

from http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14497

this part of the act took affect on Sept 23, 2010, but for now it only "applies to all plans in the individual market and to employer plans created after the date of enactment (March 23, 2010). For employer plans that were in existence prior to the date of enactment, young adults can qualify for dependent coverage only if they are not eligible for an employment-based health insurance plan until 2014."

If your a student, it sounds to me like you ought to be covered, but perhaps that is just the way I am interpreting it?

I am a dental student @ Minnesota. Recently I turned 24 and was informed by my parent's insurance co. that I would no longer be able to stay on their plan. I thought the Affordable Care Act allowed full-time students to stay on their parent's plans until their 26th birthday? My parent insurance company is BCBS of Montana. They said I would have to find my own provider for a year, reapply next Sept., where I could then be put back on my parent's plan until my 26th birthday. I know that may sound confusing, but basically they said I would have to get my own policy for a year, which means less fun money for me :mad:.

No offense, but get used to this concept. There will be lots of adult descisions that you'll have to make, and also the same types of descsions that you'll hear your patients complaining about having to make too.