Affordable or Financial Aid Career Changer Post-Bacs in NY (Stony Brook, City College)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neosp0rin

Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional/career changer looking at pre-med post bac programs in New York. I'm a resident already and would like to keep it that way, so I'm trying to keep my search within state lines even though I've seen attractive options out of state. I've gone through the AMCC list but still feel limited with the options on there.

I have zero science pre-reqs and a terrible undergrad GPA, 2.6 (although I did well with a Master's degree in another field at Columbia, but apparently schools don't care about graduate GPA?), so for that reason I'd like to take my pre-reqs in a structured program at a respected institution. Cost is definitely a factor and I'm open to taking student loans for this, but nothing crazy (seeing some post bac programs at $20k/yr?! No thanks.)

I am liking the idea of Stony Brook, but I've been having a heck of a time getting any information out of them. No responses to emails, people on the phone are quick to get me off the phone, vague information on the website, and apparently you're not considered a matriculated student in their post-bac program, thus no financial aid eligibility. Their website mentions possible aid availability for up to a year IF you're working towards a degree program but no one has been able to explain to me exactly what that means.

A backup option would be City College/CUNY, but I feel so anxious to get the hell out of Manhattan already.

Anyone have any insight on Stony Brook or City College's Post Bac programs? Or experience with other programs in New York that offer financial aid?

Members don't see this ad.

I went through the post-bacc program at Stony Brook years and years ago... back in the early 2000s. I ran into the same issue. Back then there was something called a "course of study form" which allowed me to take out loans for up to a year. It's been so long that I don't know if things have changed. But I remember I wasn't working towards a degree or certificate so I had to use that form and after that year was up I had to use my savings to pay for the courses. I would call the financial aid office and ask them if that still works now.

Stony Brook is NOT a structured post-bacc. Acceptance in it only gets you priority enrollment in the classes, connects you with other post-baccs, and opens the "possibility" of linkage into the medical school IF you excel. It was great for me because thats all I needed. But if you are looking for more than that you will be disappointed. I recommend it but you have to be extremely self motivated. Preparing for the MCAT, applying, doing your volunteering/extra curriculars... etc you are on your own. The science classes there are very but that prepares you well for the MCAT, looks good on a transcript because at least regionally SB has a good reputation, and there are TONS of free/paid tutoring for the classes which will be really important for you having no science background, a poor GPA, and the fact that you need A's in pretty much every single class you take. Another benefit would be access to plenty of research that you can get involved with at SB.

You should also call to check in about the application process because... It might be tough to get into the program with your current GPA. My year they took about 8-10 out of 100+ applications and I was really close to not getting in with an undergrad (zero science) GPA of over 3.5. Maybe someone involved with admissions can give you an estimate of what your chances would be.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I went through the post-bacc program at Stony Brook years and years ago... back in the early 2000s. I ran into the same issue. Back then there was something called a "course of study form" which allowed me to take out loans for up to a year. It's been so long that I don't know if things have changed. But I remember I wasn't working towards a degree or certificate so I had to use that form and after that year was up I had to use my savings to pay for the courses. I would call the financial aid office and ask them if that still works now.

Stony Brook is NOT a structured post-bacc. Acceptance in it only gets you priority enrollment in the classes, connects you with other post-baccs, and opens the "possibility" of linkage into the medical school IF you excel. It was great for me because thats all I needed. But if you are looking for more than that you will be disappointed. I recommend it but you have to be extremely self motivated. Preparing for the MCAT, applying, doing your volunteering/extra curriculars... etc you are on your own. The science classes there are very but that prepares you well for the MCAT, looks good on a transcript because at least regionally SB has a good reputation, and there are TONS of free/paid tutoring for the classes which will be really important for you having no science background, a poor GPA, and the fact that you need A's in pretty much every single class you take. Another benefit would be access to plenty of research that you can get involved with at SB.

You should also call to check in about the application process because... It might be tough to get into the program with your current GPA. My year they took about 8-10 out of 100+ applications and I was really close to not getting in with an undergrad (zero science) GPA of over 3.5. Maybe someone involved with admissions can give you an estimate of what your chances would be.

Good luck!

Thanks for this - I have quite a few questions for you if you don't mind.

One thing I did get from the lady on the phone is the Course of Study form, so I think that is still in play. However she couldn't explain to me exactly what that meant.

What kind of loan did you take out?

Was eligibility for this loan conditional on anything? Anything at all? Because the lady on the phone made it sound as if there were strings attached, but she didn't know what.

How long was the whole program for you? What were your out of pocket expenses?

You say SB is not structured - did you feel as though there was anything major missing from the program? Or do you think all the pieces are there as long as someone is motivated to pull them all together. I'm pretty self-motivated but don't have any science background other than independent reading and what I learn on Khan lol.

Finally, it is EXTREMELY frustrating that undergrad GPA is so important. I finished my UG 10 years ago!!! I'm a completely different person now and have a Master's from an Ivy since then. It's just crazy that your 18-year old self is held against you to such an extent. Ugh.

I think I'll take a visit to the campus in the next week or so but I appreciate your feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for this - I have quite a few questions for you if you don't mind.

One thing I did get from the lady on the phone is the Course of Study form, so I think that is still in play. However she couldn't explain to me exactly what that meant.

What kind of loan did you take out?

Was eligibility for this loan conditional on anything? Anything at all? Because the lady on the phone made it sound as if there were strings attached, but she didn't know what.

How long was the whole program for you? What were your out of pocket expenses?

You say SB is not structured - did you feel as though there was anything major missing from the program? Or do you think all the pieces are there as long as someone is motivated to pull them all together. I'm pretty self-motivated but don't have any science background other than independent reading and what I learn on Khan lol.

Finally, it is EXTREMELY frustrating that undergrad GPA is so important. I finished my UG 10 years ago!!! I'm a completely different person now and have a Master's from an Ivy since then. It's just crazy that your 18-year old self is held against you to such an extent. Ugh.

I think I'll take a visit to the campus in the next week or so but I appreciate your feedback!

No problem.

The loans were Direct Unsub Stafford Loans & Direct sub Stafford Loans. As far as I remember the only string attached was being in the post-bacc program? The program doesn't earn you a certificate or degree so the form couldn't have been contingent on that. I think the only thing is that you can only use it for a year and then you are on your own.

The length of the program is totally dependent on how many courses you take at a time and how quickly you want to go. So its very variable. I know some people finished in 1 year (but they were taking organic chemistry and physics in the summer courses, so condensed into 5 or 6 weeks a piece, which I thought was crazy) and then there are people like myself who had no science classes and decided to take it very slow so I could gets A's in everything while doing research, volunteering, and working part time. So I took 3 years to finish everything and ensure I had plenty of time to get my MCAT score as high as possible. I probably took about 20-24 thousand dollars in loans that year (with the tuition rates being whatever they were back then) and spent another 5-6 of my own savings.

Yea it's not structured. You do everything at your own pace and make your own choices about how you approach everything. For me it wasn't missing anything. I had no science background and was a poor student prior to beginning that journey. Every class had optional and FREE tutoring done by TA's. I spent a TON of time and often I would find myself at the campus from 8AM-5pm between classes and the tutoring. For some classes like physics and Organic chemistry which were more challenging for someone like myself I would actually pay for 3rd party tutoring (there were a lot of options). MCAT studying you do entirely on your own. They don't help you with that but to be honest there is more than enough info on this site to guide your studying for that. SB opened up a lot of doors for research I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise. So I don't think you would be missing anything as long as you are motivated to go search for things yourself. They certainly won't direct you into anything. It's all on you. A great thing is that there is linkage so IF you excel its possible that you could link into the med school although most people don't so it's not something to count on.

Yea I'm with you. Thats extremely frustrating that grades from so long ago play such a role in this stuff. And maybe the fact that the grades are from 10 years ago and the masters will work in your favor. I'm not saying you won't get in. I hope you will. The bottom line is that they only want to accept people who they think have a real chance to get into a medical school. If you don't get in I would try to meet with someone from the program in person and show/tell them how things have changed for you and how you are ready to get A's in everything.

Yeah great take a tour of the campus and stop by the office that runs the program and try to talk to one of the post-bacc program advisors if you can! They are really nice! Just being a sort of matriculated student there opens up so many doors to you so for the right person (and only you know if thats you) it is a great program. Good luck and I'm more than happy to answer any other questions you have!

Oh the other thing I don't know if I made clear. By unstructured I also mean there are no special classes or tutoring for the Post-baccs. You enroll in the regular classes (200-600 students each) in the giant halls like everyone else. You get the tutoring that everyone else gets (which is still really good).

Oh the other thing I don't know if I made clear. By unstructured I also mean there are no special classes or tutoring for the Post-baccs. You enroll in the regular classes (200-600 students each) in the giant halls like everyone else. You get the tutoring that everyone else gets (which is still really good).

Thank you SO much for this info, it's invaluable. I was just cross-comparing SB with City College's information and it seems CC has outlined more clearly the federal loan eligibility, which is like you said, 12 consecutive months. CC has a 14-month program but that does make me nervous especially seeing that UGs get priority registration and getting into classes might be a challenge.

Funding and timing this thing is gonna be more complicated than I imagined, I don't really have savings yet all programs I've looked up discourage working while in the program.

According to your experience at SB, would you recommend against a part-time job during SB's postbac?

Last edited:
Hey no prob. It's my pleasure. I was in the same shoes years ago so I can really relate.

Good question. You are right. Timing and funding is extremely tough. 14 months seem like a very short period of time to get all the pre-reqs done for someone with no science background... I would be very wary of that pace. I agree with them though. If you are going to try to get through this that fast then I don't see how you could work and get the grades you need because you need close to straight A's and like me you had no science background and probably rusty study skills. Its fair to assume you will need to devote a lot of time to this... if you are like me more time than the average student. So since I really don't know your personal situation I can't comment.

I had no choice but to work because I needed money to live. I was living with my parents and commuting at the time but I had to pay all my other expenses. I basically worked weekends and maybe another night a week (in total about 20 hours)... but I also went at a much slower pace. Between the pre-reqs and the MCAT and everything else It took me about 2.5 years.

Overall I'd say just devote as much time as you possibly can to the course work especially in the beginning. At the very least I wouldn't do any volunteering, research, or extra-curriculars for the first semester until you have got a handle on the course work and have proven you get A's. Then add one thing at a time while maintaining your grades. It might take you longer to get all the things you need to apply but this is the safest way to go.

The #1 mistake I saw post-baccs make and why only about 1/4 of the post-baccs I started with made it med school is that people try to rush and get this all done in a year or even two and they aren't able to keep the grades up at that pace and/or they aren't able to get the MCAT score they need. Plan this out carefully and take your time. In the long term another year won't make a difference to you because if you get into and through med school you will be a doctor for the rest of your life... but if you rush and don't get the grades then it will never happen.

I'm looking into both of these programs at present. Which did you end up at? Are you happy with your choice?

Thanks!