Affordable summer programs abroad...or that pay you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any that pay you or are at least affordable?

Members don't see this ad.

EDITED.

As far as affordable programs go, check with your college of university. A lot of times they have programs that are pretty affordable. Check into alternative spring break programs, where you go build houses or something in another country. A lot of times campus clubs or orgs will fund raise to help offset some of the cost.

Last edited:
Programs that pay you or offer stipends typically require lengthy time commitments (i.e. Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc.)

As far as affordable programs go, check with your college of university. A lot of times they have programs that are pretty affordable. Check into alternative spring break programs, where you go build houses or something in another country. A lot of times campus clubs or orgs will fund raise to help offset some of the cost.

absolutely not, there are a TON of summer undergrad research programs out there. just google summer undergrad research stipend...i think 4k for the summer is pretty common, plus a lot of programs will cover food/travel/housing. specially try NIH, NIDA, and REU programs..some of them can be competitive, especially if you're not a soph/junior, but they're worth applying to

Members don't see this ad :)
absolutely not, there are a TON of summer undergrad research programs out there. just google summer undergrad research stipend...i think 4k for the summer is pretty common, plus a lot of programs will cover food/travel/housing. specially try NIH, NIDA, and REU programs..some of them can be competitive, especially if you're not a soph/junior, but they're worth applying to

My mistake. You're right, there are plenty of work-study programs that offer stipends. I'm not too sure about pure study-abroad type programs though, where you're not actually doing work or research for the program/host lab. I still think the OP should start with their school's counselor/adviser/study abroad office first. They'll know more about which programs are good or reputable.

Last edited:

The deadline is this month and you must be a US citizen, but there is a research program to work at Pasteur Institute in France...throughout undergrad, I searched for the answer to this question myself and generally found nothing. And as for the advice about doing service work--some of the most ridiculously priced programs were service works. It's amazing what the going rate is these days to save a couple African babies.

Last edited:

The vast majority of these are domestic, but I think there was an REU through the University of Florida that went to France. Again, have to be a US citizen, don't remember the deadline, but worth checking out.

I'm sure that there are scholarships you can apply to... my school's career center has a whole "study abroad fair" a few times a year, and I think they present about scholarships and such there too...