1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Affordable summer programs abroad...or that pay you

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ponybreeder4, Dec 12, 2008.

1. ponybreeder4

Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know of any that pay you or are at least affordable?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JackInTheBox

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    EDITED.

As far as affordable programs go, check with your college of university. A lot of times they have programs that are pretty affordable. Check into alternative spring break programs, where you go build houses or something in another country. A lot of times campus clubs or orgs will fund raise to help offset some of the cost.

#2 JackInTheBox, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  4. lisasimpson87

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    absolutely not, there are a TON of summer undergrad research programs out there. just google summer undergrad research stipend...i think 4k for the summer is pretty common, plus a lot of programs will cover food/travel/housing. specially try NIH, NIDA, and REU programs..some of them can be competitive, especially if you're not a soph/junior, but they're worth applying to

5. JackInTheBox

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My mistake. You're right, there are plenty of work-study programs that offer stipends. I'm not too sure about pure study-abroad type programs though, where you're not actually doing work or research for the program/host lab. I still think the OP should start with their school's counselor/adviser/study abroad office first. They'll know more about which programs are good or reputable.

#4 JackInTheBox, Dec 13, 2008
  6. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The deadline is this month and you must be a US citizen, but there is a research program to work at Pasteur Institute in France...throughout undergrad, I searched for the answer to this question myself and generally found nothing. And as for the advice about doing service work--some of the most ridiculously priced programs were service works. It's amazing what the going rate is these days to save a couple African babies.

#5 scarletgirl777, Dec 13, 2008
  7. scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The vast majority of these are domestic, but I think there was an REU through the University of Florida that went to France. Again, have to be a US citizen, don't remember the deadline, but worth checking out.

8. DoctorDeMan

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
  9. fish89

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm sure that there are scholarships you can apply to... my school's career center has a whole "study abroad fair" a few times a year, and I think they present about scholarships and such there too...