Afraid that I hurt myself pretty badly? (O-Chem problems)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Exalya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not bad at Organic Chemistry. In fact, I'm very good at it, if the issue is doing basic problems... but my professor's problems are a whole new ballgame. I come into every test feeling prepared to take on anything, and he puts something on that test that I don't even know what to do with.

I have a good record otherwise, and an interesting one. I'm 19 now with over 100 units under my belt. I'll graduate a few days after I turn 20 next year. Husband was in Iraq, came out of poverty, ran away from home... I have a personal statement that places me squarely in the category of "crazy life story." My GPA did suffer when I ran away from home when I was 15, and right now I'm sitting with a 3.5. I aced genetics, gen chem, all my biology classes, I have 88 clinical hours in the ER, hundreds of hours as a research laboratory technician, volunteered for the red cross, and a couple hundred hours teaching kids at an observatory. After this summer I will be a certified auctioneer (long story). I'm confident I will do well on the MCAT in May... but my O-Chem worries me. I got a C- in O Chem I. I'm putting my heart into O-Chem II, but I have to be prepared to dedicate my life to this subject for the next couple months and come out with maaaaaybe a B. So... this is my worry.

Is O-Chem going to hurt me THAT much? Or does the rest of my application make up for it? If I don't get into medical school this time I plan on getting a master's in genetics (which I love) and try again, but... I would really like to get in the first time.

Members don't see this ad.

You''l be fine with a B in organic 2. However, if you want med schools to give you credit for organic 1, you'll need to retake it and get at least a C. Your GPA is below average for matriculants, so you'll need to get an impressive MCAT score (32+ or so) and have strong EC's, essays, LOR's to be competitive. Those things are well within your control, so make it happen!

... I have to retake it? I didn't know the minus in C- made a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools won't like to see that C- in a prerequisite. You might be fine at a lot of places, if you get a B in Orgo II. You might be fine if you take Biochem and get a good grade, even if you get another C in Orgo II, as success in an upper-level course can redeem a lower grade. But if you want to appeal to the largest number of med schools, you'd retake any prereq with a C or lower.

... I have to retake it? I didn't know the minus in C- made a difference.

I would double check with the individual schools you want to apply to, but I am fairly certain that a C and a C- are not the same thing. If a school states that all prerequisites must be completed with a "C or better", then that means you're going to have to retake Orgo I.

Okay... so do I even have a chance applying this year? I'll be applying before I have the time to retake o-chem I.

As long as you'll have the class retaken by the time you matriculate, you'll be fine. You don't have to have all the matriculation requirements met when you apply.

I think you should retake O-chem I and postpone your application if you can. It must be tough to hear, because the thought of trucking through another year can be daunting. But think of it as a fantastic opportunity to show them that your O-Chem score does not reflect your true potential and to make sure nothing gets in your way when you do apply.