Africa Volunteer Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoooba

Masrawy 100 100
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anybody have any experience with volunteer programs in Africa? I've been looking at several programs and I came across this program. The cost seems much lower than most programs I've looked at. Here's the link

http://www.volunteer.org.nz/programs/

Does anybody have experience with this program? Also, would anybody recommend any other programs?

And finally, any info on immunizations?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

For immunization info, check the Centers for Disease Control website for information that applies to the particular country you will be visiting.
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/destinat.htm

I don't mean to be rude, but I have to ask: Why Africa? Couldn't you find something a little more original (it's so common to almost become cliche')? A little more substantial than going over somewhere as a medical tourist?

Hoooba said:
Hey guys,

Does anybody have any experience with volunteer programs in Africa? I've been looking at several programs and I came across this program. The cost seems much lower than most programs I've looked at. Here's the link

http://www.volunteer.org.nz/programs/

Does anybody have experience with this program? Also, would anybody recommend any other programs?

And finally, any info on immunizations?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Looks interesting. I volunteered in Cape Town, South Africa for a month at the Groote Schuur Hospital. That was not through an organization, I just moved there and pestered the Benevolent Association director until he placed me in the hospital. It took a long time to arrange it, about a month. I had a great experience, but it was different from the rural projects offered on this website. PM me if you want more info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Praetorian said:
For immunization info, check the Centers for Disease Control website for information that applies to the particular country you will be visiting.
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/destinat.htm

I don't mean to be rude, but I have to ask: Why Africa? Couldn't you find something a little more original (it's so common to almost become cliche')? A little more substantial than going over somewhere as a medical tourist?

Thanks for the link. I am actually not planning on doing anything medically related. I was interested in teaching programs in orphanages or refugee camps. I have a semester off before med school and I'm looking to spend two months in Africa. I am not trying to be rude either, but what would you consider "more original"? thanks

Hoooba said:
Thanks for the link. I am actually not planning on doing anything medically related. I was interested in teaching programs in orphanages or refugee camps. I have a semester off before med school and I'm looking to spend two months in Africa. I am not trying to be rude either, but what would you consider "more original"? thanks
I think it's original (I'm not sure where the idea that it's trite came from) and you would get to learn about other cultures. Improving your cultural sensitivity is a great idea - and helping people is always in vogue. If it satisfies you then it's a good idea - I didn't read anything where you said you just wanted to pad your resume.
Good luck, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun and will learn a lot.

It's not necessarily trite, but it is a very common thing to do (although Central and South America are far more common sites for medical tourism). If you are going there because you are honestly interested in those areas, then by all means go for it. If you're going because you want to help people, may I remind you that there are lots of people in the US who could benefit from help just as much?

Hoooba said:

wow, you're already accepted into med school and still want to serve others! you're very altruistic. :)

Praetorian said:
It's not necessarily trite, but it is a very common thing to do (although Central and South America are far more common sites for medical tourism). If you are going there because you are honestly interested in those areas, then by all means go for it. If you're going because you want to help people, may I remind you that there are lots of people in the US who could benefit from help just as much?

what's wrong with possibly helping others if you're hoping to travel and see something new? i think its interesting that you're criticizing this person and not the europe travel thread -- not that there's anything wrong with traveling europe -- but i think volunteer tourism is eye-opening and very beneficial to all parties involved, especially if its sustainable.

I know several people who have gone over to Africa for medical tourism and none of them seem to have had their eyes opened. "Sustainable"? How is a brief trip to Africa sustainable? A better question is why is Africa such a frequent place to go? I honestly couldn't pick a worse place to go- civil wars, AIDS is rampant, malaria, many people who are not willing to help themselves (just like anywhere else), etc.

By the way, I have not noticed a thread on Europe, but I will take your word for it. Personally if anyone wants to go to a location, I don't really care. But just don't expect me to pat you on the back for taking what amounts to a vacation.

Praetorian said:
I know several people who have gone over to Africa for medical tourism and none of them seem to have had their eyes opened. "Sustainable"? How is a brief trip to Africa sustainable? A better question is why is Africa such a frequent place to go? I honestly couldn't pick a worse place to go- civil wars, AIDS is rampant, malaria, many people who are not willing to help themselves (just like anywhere else), etc.

By the way, I have not noticed a thread on Europe, but I will take your word for it. Personally if anyone wants to go to a location, I don't really care. But just don't expect me to pat you on the back for taking what amounts to a vacation.

chastize a person for wanting to help. at least he is getting off his ass and doing something rather than flame on forums. get a life bro :rolleyes:

Excuse me. I've been doing fire-rescue and EMS for over 8 years. I think that is doing something. Maybe it doesn't require a passport, a plane ticket and a copy of Lonely Planet but it's doing something.

Praetorian said:
Excuse me. I've been doing fire-rescue and EMS for over 8 years. I think that is doing something. Maybe it doesn't require a passport, a plane ticket and a copy of Lonely Planet but it's doing something.

dont expect me to give you a pat a back for doing what amounts to a paid job. :rolleyes:

Who said I got paid for it? But I do see your point. Can you at least see mine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Praetorian said:
Who said I got paid for it? But I do see your point. Can you at least see mine?

Yea I do. I do understand totally what you mean but I am just coming in the OP's defense. He is alreay in med school, meaning he doesnt need to rack up the EC's anymore and still he wants to experience a completely new environment while potentially endangering his life. This is a very laudable intention if you ask me. He also isnt fishing for comments of appreciation, he is asking simply what sort of volunteer programs there are. I am just sick of people coming onto SDN making snide comments just to flex their e-peen. I apologize for being a bit abrassive but that is just how I feel. In any case, lets not continue this lame e-drama and focus on the OP's main issue.

Next people will be saying, "No don't get good grades, that is so cliche for pre-meds!" :laugh:

Praetorian said:
honestly couldn't pick a worse place to go- civil wars, AIDS is rampant, malaria..

hmm, sounds like they might be worse off than people in the US. a good reason to volunteer over there, perhaps? ;)

i see your point too, i just felt like you were quick to criticize the OP.

I wasn't criticizing. I was just suggesting an alternative view.

Put it this way- there are people in the US that need help. It's cheaper to travel in the US, therefore you can spend longer in a given location, thereby helping more people for the same amount of money you would spend on a trip to Africa, Asia, etc. It's a matter of economics.

Self-righteous? :confused: I have an opinion and I have expressed it but that doesn't mean I am either right or wrong, just that I have a stance.

alright yo... lets focus on the OP question

I would suggest checking: www.idealist.org

That is one of the best sources for foreign volunteer opportunities from what I have heard.

Last edited:
Doctors without Borders normally accepts only accredited physicians, at least from what I have been told by a couple of docs I know who have worked with them.