African American in Osteopathic Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnlyFearGOD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen plently of African Americans go to the allpoathic route and ventured to the carribeans to get the M.D. But have any here decided to look into the Osteopathic Medical Schools in the U.S. ?

Also, I looked at the charts and there are about 0-3% of African Americans in Osteopathic medical schools. Does this mean not many are applying or not many are getting into the schools ?

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen plently of African Americans go to the allpoathic route and ventured to the carribeans to get the M.D. But have any here decided to look into the Osteopathic Medical Schools in the U.S. ?

Also, I looked at the charts and there are about 0-3% of African Americans in Osteopathic medical schools. Does this mean not many are applying or not many are getting into the schools ?

This isn't an osteopathic versus allopathic/offshore type of decison. With the exceptions of those schools that are located near urban areas, osteopathic medical schools do not attract many AA applicants. Location has much to do with this but there are some exceptions such as VCOM (was in our SNMA District) which has good AA representation. Many of these schools are located in midwest or very rural locations. With more ostopathic medical schools opening, these numbers are likely to change.

No doubt, but I def do believe that Osteopathic Medicine will expand in the near future. I read alot about the history and the emergence of Osteopathic medicine and at the time it was considered the Best option in terms of medical care.

Reason being, the allopathic medicine were giving patients ill-fated medication which had adverse effect which was the reason A.T. Still felt that preventive medicine "the body healing itself" was the best option. People like Mark Twain and other well known powerfull people went to D.O.s for medical care.

Members don't see this ad :)

HEy,
I was thinking about going to a DO school over a MD school, but i never knew that it was such a low percentage of african americans in the Osteopathic Medical School.. If you don't mind me asking where did you find this information from?? I would like to read up on something like this ... Thanks

I went to an osteopathic medical school and am african american. In my graduating class, UMDNJ Sch of Osteo Med there were 17 black females out of 87 students. If you have any questions about your decision, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
And how many black males were there??? I love my black sisters and all, but ummm this whole 5 blk females to 1 blk male ratio is getting a bit old...

Not many but some. About two or three in each year while I was there. Some years may have had more. It has been a while. There are less than 3% of physicians out there that are African American. Excellent support networks are SNMA and NMA that make it a bit easier.

Though location of osteopathic schools does have a lot to do with it, I think we also have to look at the number of AA in medical school period (allo./osteo.). There really aren't that many to begin with, so if we compare the allo/osteo ratio, it would probably be about the same as the ratio of all allopathic students to all osteopathic students. No facts...just a guess!

BTW.....VCOM is awesome!!

Though location of osteopathic schools does have a lot to do with it, I think we also have to look at the number of AA in medical school period (allo./osteo.). There really aren't that many to begin with, so if we compare the allo/osteo ratio, it would probably be about the same as the ratio of all allopathic students to all osteopathic students. No facts...just a guess!

There are not to many of us as doctors anyway. I am applying to NOVA. I live in miami and it is in broward so at least I will be able to live with diversity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I attend an osteopathic school and I would say that we (African Americans) have a decent number. We have a big class, but there are at least 20+ black females. There are far less black males, however unfortunately I think that's common at any DO or MD school, except the HBCUs of course. We have a very active SNMA chapter as well.

And how many black males were there??? I love my black sisters and all, but ummm this whole 5 blk females to 1 blk male ratio is getting a bit old...

:thumbup: Love it!!!

I will be attending a DO school and was wondering the same thing:)

I attend an osteopathic school and I would say that we (African Americans) have a decent number. We have a big class, but there are at least 20+ black females. There are far less black males, however unfortunately I think that's common at any DO or MD school, except the HBCUs of course. We have a very active SNMA chapter as well.

Would you mind sharing which osteopathic school you are attending? Feel free to PM me with it if you want.

Thanks!!

It's awesome to know that AA's are being represented in the DO.:D I'm applying to both (I think), but I literally live five minutes away from a DO school so I think my end fate will be DO.

If I choose to go to the osteopathic school I got into, there will probably be only 5 black females including myself (that I know of or have met)... in a class of 150. I guess it depends on location of the school also.

I'm at an MD school, but i have to say as far as SNMA goes both on the regional and national level, UMDNJ-SOM, Touro-COM and NYCOM all represent hard with regional and national officers, and SNMA has been expanding the conference to be so much more inclusive and a great network for DO schools.

I am about to start my first year at DMU in about a month. When I interviewed there I saw 3 black people all day (yes, I was looking and yes I counted), but everyone was overwhelmingly friendly. I'm guessing the numbers were so low because DMU, for those who don't know, is Des Moines University (osteopathic) aka in Iowa aka where's that on the map? I am from PA so I really don't know what the move to IA will be like or how the lack of minorities will affect me. So I can give an update about more on that in a few months.

Other than that, I think osteopathic medicine is a good choice for African Americans because I feel that most AAs want to work in underrepresented areas. Osteopathic medicine usually focuses on primary care and working in underrepresented areas- rural and inner-city.

Also, I chose to go to an osteopathic school even though I had good enough numbers in GPA and MCAT for MD, and DMU was very generous in the scholarship department. So for anyone still considering schools, going to the ones with fewer % of minorities increases your chance of getting the scholarships for minorities that likely exist for each school.

So I'm not sure how many people out there are intersted in this but my thoughts on osteopathic have changed a little...

First some things specific to DMU...
So first of all I already said I am in Iowa. Even in Des Moines (the capital) it feels much more like a suburb and not so much a city. There are minorities in the city but not very many in the area around the school. I am the ONLY AA in my class. I knew the numbers would be low, but I didn't think I'd be alone. So that in itself has been hard for me. I am used to my undergrad where even though there are certainly far fewer minorities there is still enough of a group total to not feel so alone. Along that note the SNMA chapter here was a huge dissappointment. I knew I wanted to attend a school that had an SNMA chapter because they were so helpful to me in undergrad so I joined immediately when I got here. However, I very quickly realized that the group was what I was looking for. They are not connected to the national organization really and no one in the club knows what the real organization is. They simply use it as a club that volunteers in the community. This isn't a bad thing, just not what I was expecting adn I will be encouraging them to change the name of the group for next year. There is one black faculty member here who makes sure to meet and to support any black student and encourage them and he has been a great resource to me, especally when I need to vent.

As for osteopathic schools, there are two main differences between osteopathic and allopathic for those who don't know. 1) Osteopathic does OMM- Osteopathic manipulative medicine. This is a technique similar to chiropractic and is a hands on way of diagnosing and manually treating many musculoskeletal problems. My personal take on this is that it is a legitimate treatment and really more of an art than a science, but defintiely benefits many patients. However, I simply don't have the energy or motivation to become really good at this because of the course load of a medical student. So I will probably end up as one of the many DOs who never use it after school. 2) Osteopathic schools generally train many more primary care doctors. This is a draw to many students who knwo they are more interested in promary care than a specialty but there are also some people I have met that are bitter about being at a DO school and are only here because of being rejected at MD schools. So overall there is a good balance between ppl who specialize and don't and it important to keep in mind that the door isn't closed to any specialty at all.

When I came here I was morre interested in being a DO than an MD but by this point I have decided that they are essentially the same. Therefore, I don't think anyone should try to only go DO or only go MD (unless you know you have the dedication to master OMM and that's what you want to do). At first I was offended by the number of people who told me to go MD because my scores were good enough for it, but now I understand them. I wouldn't change my decision on where I went because with my scholarship it is the best financial decision. But as far as I can tell MDs get more respect than DOs in the medical community, so that might be the small push to go that direction.

Overall I dont think the numbers of AA in osteopathic schools will change very quickly but maybe they can over time. It sounds like a number of east coast schools already have pretty good numbers. If people are worried that DO schools aren't good enough I certainly don't think that's true and I would definitely recommend it over a Carribean school. Just look at the board pass rates for the schools and it can tell you which ones have solid programs.

So I'm not sure how many people out there are intersted in this but my thoughts on osteopathic have changed a little...

So first of all I already said I am in Iowa. Even in Des Moines (the capital) it feels much more like a suburb and not so much a city. There are minorities in the city but not very many in the area around the school. I am the ONLY AA in my class. I knew the numbers would be low, but I didn't think I'd be alone. So that in itself has been hard for me. I am used to my undergrad where even though there are certainly far fewer minorities there is still enough of a group total to not feel so alone. Along that note the SNMA chapter here was a huge dissappointment. I knew I wanted to attend a school that had an SNMA chapter because they were so helpful to me in undergrad so I joined immediately when I got here. However, I very quickly realized that the group was what I was looking for. They are not connected to the national organization really and no one in the club knows what the real organization is. They simply use it as a club that volunteers in the community. This isn't a bad thing, just not what I was expecting adn I will be encouraging them to change the name of the group for next year. There is one black faculty member here who makes sure to meet and to support any black student and encourage them and he has been a great resource to me, especally when I need to vent.

As for osteopathic schools, there are two main differences between osteopathic and allopathic for those who don't know. 1) Osteopathic does OMM- Osteopathic manipulative medicine. This is a technique similar to chiropractic and is a hands on way of diagnosing and manually treating many musculoskeletal problems. My personal take on this is that it is a legitimate treatment and really more of an art than a science, but defintiely benefits many patients. However, I simply don't have the energy or motivation to become really good at this because of the course load of a medical student. So I will probably end up as one of the many DOs who never use it after school. 2) Osteopathic schools generally train many more primary care doctors. This is a draw to many students who knwo they are more interested in promary care than a specialty but there are also some people I have met that are bitter about being at a DO school and are only here because of being rejected at MD schools. So overall there is a good balance between ppl who specialize and don't and it important to keep in mind that the door isn't closed to any specialty at all.

When I came here I was morre interested in being a DO than an MD but by this point I have decided that they are essentially the same. Therefore, I don't think anyone should try to only go DO or only go MD (unless you know you have the dedication to master OMM and that's what you want to do). At first I was offended by the number of people who told me to go MD because my scores were good enough for it, but now I understand them. I wouldn't change my decision on where I went because with my scholarship it is the best financial decision. But as far as I can tell MDs get more respect than DOs in the medical community, so that might be the small push to go that direction.

Overall I dont think the numbers of AA in osteopathic schools will change very quickly but maybe they can over time. It sounds like a number of east coast schools already have pretty good numbers. If people are worried that DO schools aren't good enough I certainly don't think that's true and I would definitely recommend it over a Carribean school. Just look at the board pass rates for the schools and it can tell you which ones have solid programs.

good update. I'm going to a D.O. school myself but I suspect that I won't be the only AA because I'll be on the east coast. I can imagine that it would be difficult to enter a situation where you are the only minority all alone.

I agree with Postal, this was a great review and I really enjoyed reading it. I am a AA male, and last year only 36 blacks males enrolled in DO schools which is shocking!! I appreciated your comments and I pray that things get better for you.

Hey Postal, I was wondering which DO school you will be going to? I am considering the east coast DO schools (PCOM, UMDNJ and NYCOM). How is your school in terms of diversity? How about black males? Thanks!

I agree with Postal, this was a great review and I really enjoyed reading it. I am a AA male, and last year only 36 blacks males enrolled in DO schools which is shocking!! I appreciated your comments and I pray that things get better for you.

Hey Postal, I was wondering which DO school you will be going to? I am considering the east coast DO schools (PCOM, UMDNJ and NYCOM). How is your school in terms of diversity? How about black males? Thanks!

Only 36? That seems ridiculously low.

....Hey Postal, I was wondering which DO school you will be going to? I am considering the east coast DO schools (PCOM, UMDNJ and NYCOM). How is your school in terms of diversity? How about black males? Thanks!

As of right now it looks like I will definitely be going to TouroCom-NY as I've been wait listed at UMDNJ-SOM and UNECOM. I think I read in TouroCom-NY's promotional materials that they have a high enrollment of URMs( maybe 10-15%).I'll see first hand when I step into the classroom and take a look around. I don't know about the black males yet....

Sorry for the necrobump. I just wanted to see some updated thoughts on blacks in DO schools. VCOM is currently my top choice because of the area and representation in the school itself.

UMDNJ (now known as Rowan) is my top choice DO school. I'm an NJ resident and I'd really like to stay in state :)

WCU-COM is my top Choice!! Idk what my chances are but my stats are... Science gpa: 3.1 And Cumm gpa: 2.95 (ouch).Mcat is scheduled for Aug 3. I'm a LA resident and I know this school has strong regional bias.

WCU-COM is my top Choice!! Idk what my chances are but my stats are... Science gpa: 3.1 And Cumm gpa: 2.95 (ouch).Mcat is scheduled for Aug 3. I'm a LA resident and I know this school has strong regional bias.

Why is it your top choice?

Because it's close to home. I live in New Orleans, only 1 and 1/2 hours away. I'll still be close to mom and Sunday dinner (nom nom)

Applying to DO as an AA male... Nova is my top choice since I live in FL, but I will happy to go anywhere.... Stats are 3.15cGPA, 3.35sGPA MCAT TBD in August 2nd (Expecting 25+ based on my practice test so far)

I was going over the Matriculant and Applicant data for AACOMAS and noticed that African Americans are very underrepresented in DO schools. What's more troubling is the have the lowest matriculate % of any race. It's not as simple as saying that the lowest stats is the cause of this and I'm honestly thinking that there is some bias.

I think an HBCU D.O school would be a good way to address the URM's in Osteopathic Medicine. I think of the 800+ AA applicants only ~150 were granted admission into D.O schools last year.

Wait you mean 800 AA applied to DO and only 150 were accepted?

Do you guys think DO schools aren't as AA friendly as MD schools when it come to acceptances.

Wait you mean 800 AA applied to DO and only 150 were accepted?

Do you guys think DO schools aren't as AA friendly as MD schools when it come to acceptances.

Yes, I think the general consensus around here is that URM isn't as much of a "boost" for DO schools as it is for MD schools. You shouldn't worry though, I don't think that it's a negative. It's just that it seems there's nothing in place to increase the % of URMs for DO schools.

Yes, I think the general consensus around here is that URM isn't as much of a "boost" for DO schools as it is for MD schools. You shouldn't worry though, I don't think that it's a negative. It's just that it seems there's nothing in place to increase the % of URMs for DO schools.

It kind of makes me worry just a bit though. I mean if only 36 AA males were accepted is it almost a disadvantage. Or do you guys feel that the majority had stats in the exceptionally low range (2.6-2.8)(sub22 mcat). Because I've heard of plenty of non URM's being accepted to DO schools with pretty sub par stats (2.9-3.1) (24-27 mcat).

It seems like a slight disadvantage to be AA but im sure that just my first impression looking at these stats.

I found this cool little article, some data must be skewed somewhere either in the 2010 Matriculate summary or the article below.

http://www.do-online.org/TheDO/?p=83491

It says we had quite a bit more than only 121, it states 576.

And kudos to the first AA AOA president Dr. Anderson.

That's total students, as in students enrolled in all 4 years. That 36 number is one year matriculated black males. Ha, 3% of all matriculates is disgusting- especially considering the number of total students increases by 5k, and number of black students DECREASED. Guess it is a disadvantage to be black.

That's total students, as in students enrolled in all 4 years. That 36 number is one year matriculated black males. Ha, 3% of all matriculates is disgusting- especially considering the number of total students increases by 5k, and number of black students DECREASED. Guess it is a disadvantage to be black.

Ouchh, That really sucks, well that's why we have to work that much harder to achieve our dreams guys. Im studying right now lol.

If any of you guys have the opportunity work your ass off more than the next man and go get what you came here for.

Ouchh, That really sucks, well that's why we have to work that much harder to achieve our dreams guys. Im studying right now lol.

If any of you guys have the opportunity work your ass off more than the next man and go get what you came here for.

The number of AA students at DO schools is also concentrated at certain programs. You can get the numbers from the College Information Booklet by AACOM.
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

A lot of the schools have 0-1% AA :eek: I don't think these schools care about diversity much, but it is what it is. The state supported schools as well as the older ones will have higher % of AA and those are generally thought of as the better DO schools. I'll give an update on my experience of the schools towards the end of this application cycle.

I am one of the immediate past co-chairs for the osteopathic committee of the student national medical association (SNMA). Last year our committee started the process to address this problem by creating a campaign to encourage amendments to the osteopathic school accreditation documents that would require schools to recruit and retain qualified minority candidates. We presented our argument in front of the COCA standards review board and are gearing up up for the next phase of our campaign.

While researching this issue last year I came across some distressing elements. Although most DO schools have a big problem with recruiting minority applicants, some of the blame is our own. I have met plenty minority students who won't apply DO because someone told them it would be a terrible decision. For those of us that do apply, many of us are not prepared to interview. For those of us that interview well, the stats they possess could get them an MD acceptance at a school that might be of lower quality, but still MD, so they take that. Additionally, others see the rural schools with little to no black or brown students and decide not to attend because they don't feel like they will fit in, or the school isn't in an area they prefer (so they sit out another year, or go Caribbean). My school aggressively recruits minorities because it is a part of our mission to train clinically excellent, culturally competent physicians.

Schools that had a low percentage of minorities were unattractive when I applied. It suggested that the student body was going to be culturally incompetent... Not something I wanted to deal with.

I understand that schools in some states will have a lower percentage of minorities compared to say schools in the NE because of the demographics of the region. BUT some of the schools with very few URM matriculants is a result of administrative apathy to the implications of a disproportionate representation of healthcare professionals that are likely to serve in that state. That's a problem.

I've seen a few schools that I was interested in in urban areas that had 0-1% AA and similar HA.... Shutter...

Agreed that location matters, but the school's commitment to recruiting, supporting, and retaining AA students matters tons too. I was coming from a large east coast city and chose to go to Ohio University COM - one of the things that drew me there was the proportion of URM students (usually 18-20% which is amazing given the location) and because it was one of six schools (MD and DO) in the whole country designated as Centers for Excellence in Multicultural Medicine which is not just some fake "dedication to diversity" but was about them actually doing the important work to create a unique environment. Worth checking out, despite the fact that it's in the midwest and not in a major city!

Sorry for the necrobump. I just wanted to see some updated thoughts on blacks in DO schools. VCOM is currently my top choice because of the area and representation in the school itself.

Last edited:
Schools that had a low percentage of minorities were unattractive when I applied. It suggested that the student body was going to be culturally incompetent... Not something I wanted to deal with.

I understand that schools in some states will have a lower percentage of minorities compared to say schools in the NE because of the demographics of the region. BUT some of the schools with very few URM matriculants is a result of administrative apathy to the implications of a disproportionate representation of healthcare professionals that are likely to serve in that state. That's a problem.

Yeah, I applied to about 8 DO schools, no looking forward to being the only black guy in the class.