African American nontraditional students, check in!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
29 yr old male half white/half AA. First generation college student. EMT-B for the last 14 months. Married, baby coming in January. Will take MCAT next spring/apply June. Carrying a 3.7cGPA with a 3.5 bcpm (hoping to get that to a 3.6 before app.)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
hello, Im a 25 year old AA student. I am just completing my MSW and decided to pursue medical school, specifically psychiatry. I am takine prereq classes starting May 2013 and hope to take the MCAT in 2014 may. I am a little anxious my undergrade gpa is a 2.9 and I havent taken any science courses except for maybe biology. I used the medical schools calc and if I Ace all my post bac science course, Ican get my undergrade gpa to about a 3.2...my science gpa would then be a 4.0. My graduate gpa is great (3.9) but I dont know how much it would help my med school application...any feedback would be great...
Thank you

Nearly-23 yo BM, graduated with B.S. in Psychology in May. Doing a little MCAT Prep and volunteering now (EMT-B + free clinic), starting Post-Bacc in the Spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hiya everyone! I'm a 31 y/o AA female, single mother of 2 multiracial children; born and raised in Northeast Georgia; former Child & Family Therapist (BS, Psychology- UGA '03 + MS, Rehabilitation Psychology - UWisconsin '04); graphic designer (turned a 20 year hobby into a career when the kiddies were born); looking to apply for the entering class of 2015. I'm not sure whether or not I want to aim for MD or MD/PhD, but I'm very interested in psychiatry (possible sub-specialty of sport psychiatry). SDN is such a valuable resource. I'm glad I stumbled across this thread! Best wishes to you all. :)

Hi everyone.

AA female, low income single parent. Looking to apply 2014/2015cycle. uGpa is less than stellar 2.5 with 3.0 science. Two masters in hard sciences 3.7/3.6 gaps respectively, 3 years research experience and 200 hours of a hospital internship. Looking to get phlebotomy experience and boost the uGPA by a DIY post bac. 40 hours of hard sciences should get me to 3.0 average 3.5 sciences

Hi all,
25 year old AA (born ugandan) male in the burbs of the Chi. Undergrad in Aviation, then was really taken by how nurses worked on older folks at a nursing home i worked...epiphany****haaaaaaaa( Medical School). Married (2 kids: daughter n son: nice life) doing pre-reqs (only O-chem II, Physics II and Gen-Bio II remaining)...love this world am in right now...love SDN like crazy...
MCAT test date desired May 30th, 2013 or June 20th...
Nice to meet yall...Lets go Univ of Chicago...

Hey guys,

23 year old AA Male. Grauated with a BA in Sociology in 2011. After spending a year in law school I made the decision to drop and pursue a career in Pharmacy. Currently finishing up a couple of science prereqs and planning on applying to pharmacy schools this fall!

Good luck everyone

Hello All! I'm 26 almost 27 y/o female applying this cycle also. Plans to take MCAT this Friday, but questioning if I should postpone due to recent failed practice attempts and migraines. Single with no kids. I don't think I am organized enough to do all this with a family. I have a 3.56 cgpa and 3.3 sgpa B.S. in Biochem and Micro and need a 30+ on MCAT to accomodate. I am looking into research heavy schools and applying both MD and DO. Yeah, the MCAT is not a joke! It's more than content knowledge. It is test-taking skills, content, and critical-thinking/analyzing. Plus VR is still killing me. I should have read more as a child. Hahahaha. Shoulda, coulda, wouldas! Good luck everyone this cycle and whomever is applying in coming cycles!

Just to update for you guys and gals: My mcat sucked <<30 but I got accepted to my state program in mid-November and waiting on descison from OOS school where I interviewed. You can do it!:thumbup:

Just to update for you guys and gals: My mcat sucked <<30 but I got accepted to my state program in mid-November and waiting on descison from OOS school where I interviewed. You can do it!:thumbup:

Congratulations!!!! Fingers crossed for the decision you're awaiting.

+1

Congrats on your acceptance!

27/f I'm trying to pull my gpa up from hell and will try to get a 3.2 and a nice MCAT score. I'm currently doing retakes and such, I start the science classes later this year. I will hopefully be applying next year and take the test before the 2015. I will only be applying to DO programs and maybe a few no more than 2 MD programs as a long shot.

I'm a 37 yo dude from NYC and although I'm not presently a premed, I was once one. I just wanted to tell you guys time flies by fast and before you know it, residency will be complete. 8 years later, I completed 4 years of med school and next week I'll be done with 4 years of anesthesia residency (still another year of Cardio-Thoracic fellowship, then I guess I'll be really done :)), and I remember med school orientation like it was yesterday.

Med school and residency are tough mentally, physically and emotionally, continuing with the same determination and drive you exhibit to get into medical school, you will excel in both med school and residency (and I love what i do in the OR on a day to day basis).

Anywho i was just passing by to tell you the light at the end of the tunnel exist :luck:

Reactions: 4 users
I'm a 37 yo dude from NYC and although I'm not presently a premed, I was once one. I just wanted to tell you guys time flies by fast and before you know it, residency will be complete. 8 years later, I completed 4 years of med school and next week I'll be done with 4 years of anesthesia residency (still another year of Cardio-Thoracic fellowship, then I guess I'll be really done :)), and I remember med school orientation like it was yesterday.

Med school and residency are tough mentally, physically and emotionally, continuing with the same determination and drive you exhibit to get into medical school, you will excel in both med school and residency (and I love what i do in the OR on a day to day basis).

Anywho i was just passing by to tell you the light at the end of the tunnel exist :luck:

Thanks for posting, it's always good to receive positive feedback from those who made it through.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 43 year old AA male. I earned a BS in industrial technology over 20 years ago. Back then, my UG GPA was only 2.8 (I had one really bad year). I worked for a couple of years (mostly manufacturing), then I earned an MBA (3.2 GPA). I worked for a few more years (mostly manufacturing and logistics), then landed a job at a university. I've spent the last 12 years in higher education (administration and faculty), earning a PhD in education along the way (4.0 GPA). I've recently started taking courses part-time as an engineering/pre-med student, and my post-bac GPA is 3.824 (mostly math and computer science courses). However, I'm considering switching to biomedical sciences. I should be finished in 2 yrs, and ready to take the MCAT at the ripe old age of 46 (in spite of my low UG GPA, I've always tested well). I'm projecting that I will finish with a cumulative UG GPA of no less than 3.2, a cumulative science GPA of 3.1 (going back 29 years...lol), and a post-bac GPA of 3.7 (with a 2nd BS earned in biomedical sciences). If all goes well and I am blessed with good health, I will start medical school at 47 and start my residency at 51. I plan to practice until retirement age (70). Who knows - maybe I'll find my way back into higher education as director/dean of a post-baccalaureate premedical program before I'm done.

24 year old BM...from a small Christian university. Applying this cycle to both DO and MD.
I wish you all blessings and luck.

Accepted class of 2017...Accepted at 3 schools out of 20 low 30's MCAT. around 3.2 GPA. It's possible, apply broadly.

Last edited:
I'm a 43 year old AA male. I earned a BS in industrial technology over 20 years ago. Back then, my UG GPA was only 2.8 (I had one really bad year). I worked for a couple of years (mostly manufacturing), then I earned an MBA (3.2 GPA). I worked for a few more years (mostly manufacturing and logistics), then landed a job at a university. I've spent the last 12 years in higher education (administration and faculty), earning a PhD in education along the way (4.0 GPA). I've recently started taking courses part-time as an engineering/pre-med student, and my post-bac GPA is 3.824 (mostly math and computer science courses). However, I'm considering switching to biomedical sciences. I should be finished in 2 yrs, and ready to take the MCAT at the ripe old age of 46 (in spite of my low UG GPA, I've always tested well). I'm projecting that I will finish with a cumulative UG GPA of no less than 3.2, a cumulative science GPA of 3.1 (going back 29 years...lol), and a post-bac GPA of 3.7 (with a 2nd BS earned in biomedical sciences). If all goes well and I am blessed with good health, I will start medical school at 47 and start my residency at 51. I plan to practice until retirement age (70). Who knows - maybe I'll find my way back into higher education as director/dean of a post-baccalaureate premedical program before I'm done.

I'm guessing you're aiming for a SMP? When do you plan on taking the MCAT?

I'm guessing you're aiming for a SMP? When do you plan on taking the MCAT?

I've considered enrolling in an SMP (there is actually a program at the institution where I work), but at the moment I'm constrained by family obligations. So right now, attending part-time works best (and costs less...tuition is waived for employees). My plan is to go full-time for the year preceding med-school (starting the fall semester of 2015) to take many of the additional recommended courses (microbiology, genetics, cell biology, anatomy, physiology, biochem etc.). At that point, the SMP here is still an option, but I may opt for a masters program instead (in order to be eligible for a graduate assistantship).

As for the MCAT, I will have all of the minimum requirements for med-school completed by the fall semester of 2014 (as well as a few extra courses), so I plan to take the exam fall 14 or spring 15. However, I may wait on taking the MCAT if my practice test scores are not in the right range (80 - 85 percentile or better). I don't want to take it twice.

Hey ya'll - 33 y/o AA female here, always wanted to be a doctor, went to college and "lost sight" of the goal, took the scenic route to medical school which included working my arse off academically and personally to make myself a better applicant (research, volunteering, Post-Bac)...took a while to right some wrongs but I'm happy to report that I just started my 3rd year, currently on a Cardiothoracic Surgery rotation and really it's all gone by soooo fast....feels like my White Coat ceremony was yesterday, lol. Take home message: if you want it, you will work hard for it...car mileage, late nights/early mornings, long hours will pale in comparison to your passion. period.

Nothing stays the same when you work hard and you pray. God bless!

Reactions: 3 users
AA 17, male attending Florida A&M right now.

Hello Folks!

I'm a 31 y/o AA female originally from New England, raised in the hood and in a 3rd world country (I survived thanks to my Super-Hero Mom working 80-90 hours/week!). Just turned 31 last month (i still haven't celebrated- Jamaica or Aruba is on my mind!). Current Cardiology nurse. BSN ( cgp 3.2 /sgpa 3.4) from the Northeast. MBA/MHA (gpa 3.7) from the Southeast. So far post-bacc GPA is 4.0 bringing my cgpa to 3.27 and sgpa to 3.5. Just moved to Houston,TX to finish-up my DIY post-bacc and apply hopefully next year and attend of one the Texas medical Schools. I have 4 courses remaining. I'm an aspiring Preventive Medicine/ Cardiologist. After working with EP Cardiologists, i'm considering a future fellowship in this area. Entrepreneurial goal- CEO of a Health Service Organization. One step at a time:)

Good luck to everyone one of you!

Reactions: 1 users
For those who stated that they are currently in med school, or residency, can you offer us any advice or words of wisdom?

Never let yourself believe there's a magical moment when people will stop noticing race.

Never let yourself believe there's a magical moment when people will stop noticing race.

I'm not in medical school yet but Amen to that statement! I figured this out by the time i finished undergrad at the age of 20. Well actually it started in high school but it became more clear while in college. The sudden realization about what you believe is a complete contrast to how the real world operates was the scariest moment for me. Ever since then i remain objective and but fully aware of my surrounding. I would hope as non-trads everyone is already aware of this outside of medical school.

Hey everyone! I am 19, about to be a junior, majoring in biochemistry! Migrated from Nigeria when i was younger, seen some crazy things, and overcame challenges! Medicine is a challenge that i want to overcome in order to bring medical expertise back to Nigeria!

Planning on going HAM on the MCAT soon maybe startin winter break, and applying next summer (2014)! I've finished most prereqs except for 2nd semester of biology, and started to transition more away from those premed prereqs into upper level bio courses now. Excited for this journey!

Any helpful MCAT tips?

Accepted class of 2017...Accepted at 3 schools out of 20 low 30's MCAT. around 3.2 GPA. It's possible, apply broadly.

Congratulations!! If you don't mind posting, what were the schools you applied for? I'm trying to create such a list to match my interests for next year!

Care to explain?

People are always going to notice. That's not the same as saying "You'll always deal with racism", simply that there never comes a point where people don't notice you're black.

It can be good or bad but is a part of reality that won't change one bit with an MD.

AA, 28, female living in Northeast. Originally from South FL. Attended Florida A&M University c/o 2011. Non-trad student intending on applying 2015 cycle. Currently studying to re-take MCAT May 2014. Conducted research in the past. I have countless hours in physician shadowing, community outreach, and abroad medical missions. I am an alum of AmeriCorps-HealthCorps. Looking forward to a bright future in medicine.

Jeremiah 29:11

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations!! If you don't mind posting, what were the schools you applied for? I'm trying to create such a list to match my interests for next year!

Howard, Meharry, UofTs (TEXAS), University of Tennessee, Rosalind Franklin (has programs for persons of color), Baylor, Loma Linda, Cleveland Clinic, Drexel (programs for us), MUSC, UAB.

:hello:Hey everyone! 25y/o Female here. Originally from the NY-tristate (the hood to be exact), First gen college student, Did undergrad in the midwest/ online, and am now in ATL doing a DIY post-bac.
My GPA from undergrad was ~2.6.... :barf:
Hopefully my post-bac courses will help to boost it... I do plan on having to do a SMP. But, if I go HAM on the MCAT (2014 maybe) and the rest of the post-bacc, Im praying to not need the SMP. :xf:
Are there any other post-baccers in ATL? I feel like Im doing this alone...

That's it for now... Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone. I am a 32-year old AA female, married. I am from Ohio. I have a BA in Spanish, a BS in International Business (3.3) and and MBA (3.7). My love for travel and foreign cultures led me down this educational path, but I never really felt like it was the right path for me. I never really found my place in the business world and I can't imagine myself spending the rest of my working years in a cubicle, so I decided to try my hand at medicine. As an undergrad I was misinformed: (1) I thought the only people who got into medical school were those that set on that path right out of high school and (2) I thought only straight A students had a chance. After meeting some nontrads around my age a few years ago and learning their stories it gave me hope.

My current post bac GPA is 3.3 but I have quite a few more classes to take.

It is nice to know there are other people in the same boat as me. Although I look quite young for my age, It's a lonely experience being in class with eighteen to early twenty-somethings, and not a very diverse group, at that. I'm hoping to start medical school by the time I am 34 if all goes well.

Hello! 22 yr old female who is graduating with my ba this fall (thank God!!!!!!!!!!). Non competitive gpa from the time spent wandering through majors trying to decide what to do. I'm on a 3 - 5 year plan to take pre reqs and build a solid application. Good luck to everyone and congrads on those who made it :claps:.
No dependents besides two doggies a kitty and a horse... And a car. Forgot about that one ;)

Hello,

29 Y.O. male. Worked throughout 20's, went back to college a couple of years ago and graduated with 3.55 science GPA, 30 MCAT, lots of ECs (Journal Club, Prisoner Education Program, Physical Rehab for children, hospital stuff) and work experience (Organic Chemistry Tutor, IRB/ACUC member).

I was finally accepted into five USMD programs, so it's doable, just don't give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
AA male here. Been out of school since 2003. I have been going H.A.M on this MCAT for about two weeks now. I am following the SN2's method for the four month plan. I will be in medical school next year.
what is the SN2 method did it work for you?

31yo AA male. Completed PharmD in 2007. 3.56 Gpa. registered for May 2014 mcat.

32 year old 4th year med student. Done will all residency interviews as of this week!!! Just saw this and wanted to remind you all that there is hope. I started med school at 29years old with a 6 month old baby. I remember the hopes and dreams of wanting to just graduate from college, then the stress of the MCAT, then the stress of interviewing, then the REAL stress of Med school. Hang in there! Your hard work will pay off

29, almost 30. from BKNY
Was 2 semesters from getting my degree in finance. Had an epiphany and realized I wasn't too old to do the one thing I always wanted to do...here I am. Long-term boyfriend. No children...Thank God, my stars, I can't imagine. 1st gen college.

3.5 cGPA, but can't really call my sGPA because I just started taking all my pre req.

I am unfortunately gonna have to take the MCAT 2015...scared!
How were you guys able to get your EC's and shadowing done. One of the hardest things about being a non-trad is having to work, take classes, study and then look for EC to do. It's very hard for me to work for free lol.
Any and all advice from non-trads are so welcomed!

31 AA, male, engaged, 3.35ugpa, 3.5ggpa, 31mkitty (on 2nd try), 2 publications, clinical exp, volunteering etc... applied late this cycle, so far: 1 rej, 1 pre-int hold, 1 II (interviewed last week:)), still waiting to hear back from a bunch of schools... anxiously waiting to hear back from my II :nailbiting:

Does anyone have advice/tips for getting in contact with deans for minority recruitment at schools? Is it possible to set up meetings?

Does anyone recommend going to the SNMA conference as an aspiring applicant?

Does anyone recommend going to the SNMA conference as an aspiring applicant?

I doubt it would do you a disservice, but by no means is it required. I had never even heard of the SNMA organization til my 2nd year of medical school. Still, if it can help in getting you in the door, go for it!!!

Love this thread! So glad to see people so similar to me! :) I pray for our continued progression and success!

Reactions: 3 users
24 y/o with 1 daughter(yes that's her in my pic). I work as a mental health tech in an Acute psychiatric hospital. Currently finishing my BA in Psyc. I have 60 credits left so hoping for strong upward trend to help with previous low GPA 2.2.

Hi all! Just giving you another update. I'm going into my second semester of the M2 year at my state program. I just started prepping for STEP 1. I don't have an official date but I'm studying as though I'm taking it mid-May. Second year is much better than 1st year. My interest have expanded far past psychiatry and neurology. Now, I'm thinking ENT, ophtho, geriatrics, neuropath, forensics path, and internal med. Keep going. You can do it!

Bumping for an answer to this question.

From my experience, once invited on interviews the school is a lot more amendable to you contacting them — though, I wouldn't expect to skip the chain of command all the way to the dean. Schools also seem pretty receptive when you're asking questions way prior to application season, probably because they aren't overwhelmed by neurotic emails at that time.

I think when I applied, for some schools I asked about their current outreach and scholarships that may apply to me in the future and I made sure to navigate the appropriate channels (after researching my own questions thoroughly, don't ask things that are easy to find with a web search). This usually ended up with a few back and forth cordial emails with the staff. Even at a large program, the staff at a medical school is rather tight knit so I can't impress upon you enough the importance to use your best tact and politics when contacting them during application season.

So, I can say you can reach out to them, just know it's a double edged sword: it may facilitate a good or bad relationship, or alternatively do absolutely nothing.