After 4 years of high school do you...

ToldYouSo

Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any regrets? Things you wish you had done differently?

My biggest regret was not studying for the SAT. I know I could've done much better had I really sat down and finished some practice tests... I managed a 1840 1st time and 1880 second time no studying whatsoever... but I have a big issue with procrastinating. Whats done is done, anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh, Christ on a cracker. Regrets.

I wish I would have talked my guidance counselors into getting me into Spanish freshman year. They forgot about me and now I'm a year behind, and in Spanish with a bunch of juniors. I should have spoken up about it, instead of not wanting to be a bother.

I wish that I would have written less and read more.

I wish...

No, that's pretty much it. I'm mostly just happy to be getting out of here (and by happy, I mean fleeing like a bat out of hell).

I wish I was a senior so I could have a reason to participate in this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I was a typical teenager.

Oh, Christ on a cracker. Regrets.

I wish I would have talked my guidance counselors into getting me into Spanish freshman year. They forgot about me and now I'm a year behind, and in Spanish with a bunch of juniors. I should have spoken up about it, instead of not wanting to be a bother.

I wish that I would have written less and read more.

I wish...

No, that's pretty much it. I'm mostly just happy to be getting out of here (and by happy, I mean fleeing like a bat out of hell).

I feel the EXACT same way. I want to finish all this schooling and get on with my life lol

Also, I wish I had taken ACT in junior year of high school so I could start to study MCAT now.

Just wait, you'll wish you're back in HS. :laugh: High school really isn't that bad. You'll realize it now. However, if I were to regret anything it would be not getting out as much as I should have. I had a very close group of friends and then was friends with a lot of people, however never really hung out with them. I have about 4 close friends from high school that I talk to regularly, thats it.

I did fantastic on the SAT and ACT taking them cold, so I had a false sense of security for the SAT II's. Wish I would have studied for those, since I could have done mighty well on them had I cracked a book.

I kind of wish I hadn't gone crazy and applied to 9 schools, since most likely I'll be attending USF, which was an application that took 20 minutes and $30 to complete. Ohh well, at least it'll be interesting to see where I get in.

I kind of wish I had chilled out sooner and gotten out a little more. But I figure all the slaving away will pay off in college, since I have some wicked study skills now.

I'm mostly just happy to be getting out of here (and by happy, I mean fleeing like a bat out of hell).

Too true! 64 days left for me... but who's counting...

Too true! 64 days left for me... but who's counting...

lucky. around 140 days over here until graduation (counting weekends & breaks)

I don't think I will ever *wish* to go back to high school. Dark times...and too much bad memories :(

As for regrets, I don't have any. They all made me the person who I am today (I know how cliche that sounds). I mean I have done things that I wish I hadn't done, but without experiencing the consequences to those actions I don't think that I'm the person that I am at this moment

I wish I studied for the SATs more, and maybe concentrated on schoolwork a little more. Other than that, I've been happy.

Have any regrets? Things you wish you had done differently?

My biggest regret was not studying for the SAT. I know I could've done much better had I really sat down and finished some practice tests... I managed a 1840 1st time and 1880 second time no studying whatsoever... but I have a big issue with procrastinating. Whats done is done, anyone else?

Taking the ACT senior year of high school. Glad I turned down expensive programs, Baylor, Hopkins, etc.

Glad I didn't transfer to Emory at the end of my sophmore year.

Why? I save a lot of cash going to my state school.

Regrets? Living in the cold.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the EXACT same way. I want to finish all this schooling and get on with my life lol

I'm a junior so I guess my opinion doesn't matter but I def. hear you man.

My only regret about HS is that i didnt sleep around enough. seriously, if i was back there i would have not dated so much and instead hit more home.. think quality over quantity. now im stuck trying to catch up for it while studying my @$$ off in college...

heed these words of truth young padawans.

Also, I wish I had taken ACT in junior year of high school so I could start to study MCAT now.

No you don't. Nobody should start to study for the MCAT before they finish or are mostly finished with the pre reqs, let alone someone still in highschool. The only way you, as an ESL student, could study for the MCAT is buy reading lots of English material. BUt even I wouldn't do that. You still have 2-3 years before you even begin to study for the MCAT. Chillax. :)

Tennis is more ready than any of us and far ahead I think... His drive 2 suceed and beat the odds will get him a 40+ on the MCAT and we will all wish we had studied so early XD

There's not much I really regret. Freshman year I went out alot and I do wish I continued to go out as much as I did back then last year, but hey, I got busy. Anyways, just make sure to enjoy your time left!

maybe there is no such thing as a normal teenager, but i wish i hadn't been so abnormal.
wish i had taken the ACT in my junior year. there's probably more....

Lol. Well, if there is a typical teenager, I'm not it. The clothes in my closet? Yeah. They're organized.

I wish I had attended a more rigorous high school, with teachers who actually set real deadlines. I have awful study habits and a 4.0 because my teachers have encouraged my lazy, procrastinating ways. I'm not at all saying that I blame them for the way I am, but I think those killer pre-req's are going to be a shock to my system.

Tennis is more ready than any of us and far ahead I think... His drive 2 suceed and beat the odds will get him a 40+ on the MCAT and we will all wish we had studied so early XD
Until you realize you can't start to study until you have actually learned the material...and that you will forget it if you study 4 years before the exam...

Lol. Well, if there is a typical teenager, I'm not it. The clothes in my closet? Yeah. They're organized.
oh yeah? mine are organized by color, and everything has its own hanger, and it can ONLY go on that hanger. i used to be obsessive compulsive, if you can't tell.

I regret not having any desire to learn or perform well in my freshman and sophmore years. My cumulative average really suffered as a result, and I did not qualify on two AP exams.

I have a lot of regrets, unfortunately... Although the biggest one is not asking my parents if they would fill out a form to allow us to stay in one place until I graduated high school. I really hate that I'll be graduating with people that I haven't bonded with over the past four years.

Some of you guys aren't even halfway there. If you're in 10-11th grade right now, you've got as much as 14-15 years left just for an MD and residency. Throw a PhD in there, and you could have another 20 years to go. If you can't enjoy life while you're in school, it will be a long, long, long, long time before you'll enjoy life.

Some of you guys aren't even halfway there. If you're in 10-11th grade right now, you've got as much as 14-15 years left just for an MD and residency. Throw a PhD in there, and you could have another 20 years to go. If you can't enjoy life while you're in school, it will be a long, long, long, long time before you'll enjoy life.

True that. I personally love school, just sick of high school. There is so much material that we just repeat over and over for years. There are classes in which I don't know much about and those are, of course, the ones I enjoy the most since it's not regurgitated information. College will be a great experience because of the vast subjects that can be taken.

Gee thanks, someone's been chatting with Debbie Downer lately... I'm sure we'll have some semblance of life during those 20 years or so, I'm pretty much a science nerd, so I'm kinda looking forward to all the learning I'll get to do...

Debbie is always around, lurking in the shadows, waiting to come out and grab you while no one's watching...

Im not pursuing medicine, but I know what your saying. I guess it would've been more accurate to say that I can't wait to finish high school. I could've graduated a year early but I didnt have 4 years of gym... Otherwise all my classes are either AP or college... Seeing that I wont want to accept credit for vital courses via AP, ill be wasting 240$ to take ap exams I wont even use, onlyh reason I take them is so it will appear on my transcript basically...

My high school has so much drama its unbelieveable... There are barely any motivated kids just ppl focused on what cars they will have senior year and worrying about what to wear instead of what to study.

Im just disgusted with the priorities of most of my school in general... You guys on SDN rly motivate me and let me know other ppl rly care about their futures.

Although I wish I had done something better in my past, I can not go back anyway. I want to declare this, "I am ready to move on post-secondary education and take the full responsibility of my life."

KempDrumsalot;7623773[COLOR="Red" said:
]True that. I personally love school, just sick of high school. [/COLOR]There is so much material that we just repeat over and over for years. There are classes in which I don't know much about and those are, of course, the ones I enjoy the most since it's not regurgitated information. College will be a great experience because of the vast subjects that can be taken.

Same here. My cousin is doing a P.hD in Mechanical Engineering and he loves it...he HATED HS, but, then again, who doesn't? Honestly, I could not agree more. Especially in history, even in the honors classes...treaty of versailles, WWI, WWII, Russisan Rev., American Rev. It is soo annoying. Maybe it is just my school. :rolleyes:

Gee thanks, someone's been chatting with Debbie Downer lately... I'm sure we'll have some semblance of life during those 20 years or so, I'm pretty much a science nerd, so I'm kinda looking forward to all the learning I'll get to do...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Same here. My cousin is doing a P.hD in Mechanical Engineering and he loves it...he HATED HS, but, then again, who doesn't? Honestly, I could not agree more. Especially in history, even in the honors classes...treaty of versailles, WWI, WWII, Russisan Rev., American Rev. It is soo annoying. Maybe it is just my school. :rolleyes:
i :love: world history.

i :love: world history.

So do I, I have a 100 in it right now, and it's honors. I must be my school, we learn the SAME THING...EVERY YEAR.

I took WH freshman year though, I am taking USII Honors which is basically the second half of what we learn sophomore year. Probably take the AP version next year, either that or euro. :thumbup:

There's only so much of it to enjoy, I'm afraid. You'll take away a few cool concepts that you'll be glad you were taught, but the vast majority of what you'll be doing through college (and the rest of high school) essentially amounts to busy work when all is said and done. Med school will also change your outlook on subjects and learning. For example, I like physiology a lot. However, I don't enjoy getting physiology crammed down my throat and then coming home and cramming it further down my throat for a few more hours just to stay caught up. This is a whole different world. You'll get a few "hey, this is cool" moments, but it's mostly a game of survival rather than enjoyment.

There's only so much of it to enjoy, I'm afraid. You'll take away a few cool concepts that you'll be glad you were taught, but the vast majority of what you'll be doing through college (and the rest of high school) essentially amounts to busy work when all is said and done. Med school will also change your outlook on subjects and learning. For example, I like physiology a lot. However, I don't enjoy getting physiology crammed down my throat and then coming home and cramming it further down my throat for a few more hours just to stay caught up. This is a whole different world. You'll get a few "hey, this is cool" moments, but it's mostly a game of survival rather than enjoyment.
Honestly, it's a relief to hear this sometimes. People get the over generalization that they HAVE to love this stuff 100% of the time all the time. Or that's what I've heard and it down-right annoys the hell out of me.

Realize that theProwler and Milkman aren't saying this to discourage you in any way, but saying HAVE A LIFE. You're in highschool now - keep a leg up but don't stress yourself about getting into medical school now.

I regret not having any desire to learn or perform well in my freshman and sophmore years. My cumulative average really suffered as a result, and I did not qualify on two AP exams.

Same, without the AP part.

Didn't suffer too bad, but worse than it should be.

Realize that theProwler and Milkman aren't saying this to discourage you in any way, but saying HAVE A LIFE. You're in highschool now - keep a leg up but don't stress yourself about getting into medical school now.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I also want you guys to have as realistic a view of what you guys are planning on getting yourselves into as possible. It's not going to be this "science is fun!" candyland that many sickeningly idealistic pre-meds seem to think it is. Yes, you're going to learn some incredible and extremely interesting information. You'll gain absurd privileges (social and otherwise) that only doctors enjoy. However, you're going to bust your butt through most of your youth to earn those things.

Damn, you have pretty thin skin if that was a downer for you. I happened to like college and the first two years of med school. I also had fun in high school. Read again and notice that I didn't say you wouldn't have a life. However, if you hate school and can't have fun during high school, it's NOT going to get better. It will get much, much worse. I could pretty much take the amount of time I studied for a test in high school and square it for the amount of time I studied for a test in college, and I could almost do the same again for med school.

I wish that I took it more seriously sophomore and junior years. I didn't really ever study for anything, because I could get As and Bs without doing so. However, the one thing I cant do is catch up in class if I'm absent. This brought my gades down.

I don't really regret anything too much, now that I have a set direction and am accepted to college. I really feel like some of my philosophies in high school are continued in better ways. For example, I didnt feel the need to get good grades sometimes because I felt that they werent an accurate measure of intelligence, only of effort. I felt the effort was wasted, because I didn't have very aspiring goals at the time.

Just wait, you'll wish you're back in HS. :laugh: High school really isn't that bad. You'll realize it now. However, if I were to regret anything it would be not getting out as much as I should have. I had a very close group of friends and then was friends with a lot of people, however never really hung out with them. I have about 4 close friends from high school that I talk to regularly, thats it.

Lol. I agree with you on that....HS really isn't that terrible. Except...I regret not getting close to any friends at all...lol

lucky. around 140 days over here until graduation (counting weekends & breaks)

I don't think I will ever *wish* to go back to high school. Dark times...and too much bad memories :(

As for regrets, I don't have any. They all made me the person who I am today (I know how cliche that sounds). I mean I have done things that I wish I hadn't done, but without experiencing the consequences to those actions I don't think that I'm the person that I am at this moment

I agree with that COMPLETELY....except it relates more to middle school than high school for me.

Other than that...I regret not studying for the SAT well enough and not searching for colleges well enough either. lol

But you obviously have to move past ur regrets and continue life. :D

Other than that...I regret not studying for the SAT well enough and not searching for colleges well enough either. lol

But you obviously have to move past ur regrets and continue life. :D

hahhaa, exactly! dont drown in regrets! learn from them and move on ;)

i was pretty messed up in junior yr: had nights when i ran away from home, didn't search for colleges until senior yr, didnt start taking my SAT until senior yr, decided the SAT was too boring so i slept through the critical reading part :D but i got 700 ish for the other two sections! :laugh: (looking back now...that's pretty funny. i guess i'm a funny person.)

hahhaa i was pretty much a rebel... i mean, i had straight As from 7th-10th grades and i wasnt a druggie or anything (no offense to all the druggies out there :p), but i did have my moments/ epiphanies where i didn't see any points in my grades, and like Leefa said I didn't have any goals so i didn't see the reason to work so hard... (i'm glad i got that out of my system, better to screw up now then to do it in college)

but yeah, i'm back on track now (i think) :cool:

High School can't be over fast enough. I will be happy being around like minded people and I know college will suit me much better because I love working alone and the idea of basically being in charge of how you manage your time sounds so much better than having to wake up at 5 am every day... To me life won't really start until I'm done with all this schooling...

High School can't be over fast enough. I will be happy being around like minded people and I know college will suit me much better because I love working alone and the idea of basically being in charge of how you manage your time sounds so much better than having to wake up at 5 am every day... To me life won't really start until I'm done with all this schooling...

LOL. not a big advocate of diversity? :p

/sarcasm "loner much?" (haha sorry i'm being mean.) if u want to work alone in hs, just go home and lock yourself in your room. but in college i think you'll continuously be around your friends and collegues.

I love working alone--in a different way. I love studying with other people, and working on homework together, but I hate group projects.

Type A personalities and group projects do not mix. Period. End of story. We should be exempt.

Eh, not a big fan of group projects either. I do advocate social contact though =-P. Any loners out there better get there butts out and enjoy life!