after community college and then pre reqs and MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drrekamuhs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hmmm... lets see. i'm not sure if this will make me seem like a complete and utter idiot but oh well, haha. anywho, everyone always says that taking pre reqs at community college is a big NO. so what do you do? attempt to take them all when you transfer to a 4 year your junior year? and then take the MCAT in the same year or do you just split the pre reqs between senior and junior year and just study on your own for the ones you did not yet take before the MCAT? am i even making any sense to anybody? sorry. i don't really have anyone to ask these questions to except, y'all. thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You can take them at cc. Just make sure to take upper div sciences after transferring to "prove" yourself.

If you are a science major, you can take them at a CC since you will be taking upper level science at the University you transfer. If you are not a science major, I would suggest you to take the majority of them once transfer. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

The question of if CC prereqs are okay is a school per school question. There are a variety of requirements schools might have, off the top of my head:

• University Prereqs required: e.g. Boston University, Central Michigan
  • University Prereqs preferred*
  • University and CC Prereqs accepted Creighton (Nebraska)
  • University and CC and online prereqs accepted e.g. Cooper Rowan, Duke
Info from paid version of 2013 MSAR

A lot of schools fall somewhere in between the second and fourth bullet point, while some schools are sticklers about it and make it a stone-cold requirement. The best way to answer this question for yourself is to sign up (pay $22) for the MSAR (Medical School Admissions Registry). The MSAR will give each program's specific requirements if you select the "Selection Factors" option. Alternatively, you can navigate to each school's website and make a spreadsheet of their prereq requirements and where they should be taken, a lot more work, but something you'd have to do to find out the true answer.

You'll receive varying advice from people because there's variable answers.

Good luck!

Please, LOOK at what each school you plan to go to accepts or requests of you. I remember a few,do not take these pre-reqs at CC level. In fact, do your research, then see what of the MCAT course can you take there. And possibly pre-reqs like math and English will probably be the ones you can get away with. But like I said, PLEASE CHECK!