10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
Hi all,
Just wanted to know how does it work after completing studies and getting the degree.I mean what happens to the visa status coz during studies we are on F1 student visa and then how does the visa status change for people who are not green card holders/permanent residents.does anyone sponser the H1/work permit visa?kindly give your views.


15+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
Visa status does not change after you finish your dental degree automatically. It depends on what you do. If you gain an employment, your sponsor will have to apply for labour certificate from the US Dept of Labor and then you need to apply for H1-B visa. This is a lengthy process so most people would apply for OPT (optional practical training) before their F-1 visa expires (i.e. at least 6 months before the end of your studies) and find an employer who would be willing to sponsor you for a work visa (ie. H1-B). You could get married to a US Citizen, but then again... why do you want to get married anyway??

Dentistry is not on a special category like medicine for rural community clinics... there is NO shortage of dentists in the US. Anyone can sponsor you. But, it will be pretty hard to find any willing private practice dentist. Your best bet would be to seek an employment as a dental faculty at one of the universities.
About the Ads