After dental school, can you decide to become an MD without medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalBears05

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I heard somewhere that someone who goes to dental school can do a six year medical residency to get his/her MD. Is this true? Anyone have more information on this? I tried searching around but didn't find anything.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I heard somewhere that someone who goes to dental school can do a six year medical residency to get his/her MD. Is this true? Anyone have more information on this? I tried searching around but didn't find anything.

You need to search in the residency forum. It's EVERYWHERE. But to answer your question: yes.

You can do an OMFS residency that comprises 2 years of Medical classes and 4 years of Hospital residency after which you are awarded an MD.

You need to search in the residency forum. It's EVERYWHERE. But to answer your question: yes.

You can do an OMFS residency that comprises 2 years of Medical classes and 4 years of Hospital residency after which you are awarded an MD.

That is pretty amazing. Thanks for the information, I will do my search there.

Members don't see this ad :)
so you can become a dentist...then a doctor...talk about job security

EDIT: and debt...

Why do you consider that amazing? Also note that to get the MD, OMFS residents complete years 3 and 4 of medical school.

AND take USMLE's after cramming during OMFS residency. Sound like fun? Only takes 10 years to get your MD instead of 4. Please decide if OMFS is for you after talking with oral surgeons and shadowing an OMFS resident for a day, may make your mind up for you.... OMFS is for those who truly love it, as it's a grueling process....

Why do you consider that amazing? Also note that to get the MD, OMFS residents complete years 3 and 4 of medical school.

I consider it amazing that someone has the fortitude to accomplish all of that. That is pretty amazing if you ask me. I would really look up to that person because of their hard work and dedication.

Just don't take this as a route to get into medicine. It would likely be shorter and easier to go straight medicine even after you graduate dental school and go through the full 7 years. If you want to go into internal med or something after your 6 yrs, you would still have to do 3 more years of a residency. Not worth it... It's not a track into medicine.

Yeah it looks like you are trying to find a backdoor into medicine and this route is definately not it. It's very competitive to get into the 6-year OMFS residency/med school program. Only do it if you like dentistry and sincerely like OMFS.

A DDS is a professional degree... not something you get on the way towards your ultimate degree. If you want to be an MD, then go to med school.

Tman is right and in addition, DO school has less competitive stats or similar on average than dental school and they are basically an MD. That is the way to go if you are a med person who isn't certain he/she can get into an MD program. DO is more realistic.

Just don't take this as a route to get into medicine. It would likely be shorter and easier to go straight medicine even after you graduate dental school and go through the full 7 years. If you want to go into internal med or something after your 6 yrs, you would still have to do 3 more years of a residency. Not worth it... It's not a track into medicine.

Nope, not trying to find a shorcut to a career in medicine. I just read somewhere that a dentist can become and MD without going to medical school. I just wanted clarification. And I also saw a doctor with DDS, MD on his card. I thought that was interesting and was wondering if this guy actually went through dental school, medical school, and residency...

Nope, not trying to find a shorcut to a career in medicine. I just read somewhere that a dentist can become and MD without going to medical school. I just wanted clarification. And I also saw a doctor with DDS, MD on his card. I thought that was interesting and was wondering if this guy actually went through dental school, medical school, and residency...

Just to clarify, oral surgeons with the M.D. degree DO go to medical school. They take the last two years of medical school instead of all four, but they must pass both USMLEs as well. They do not have to take the first two years because dental school's first two years are very similar.

-Cyrus

Good question, unlike most of the responders, I am actually in love with OMFS/OMS if you want to pursue it, let not time or difficulty discourage you. I have a thread where we can all share information about OMFS, look it up and share your information. Thanks

Just to clarify, oral surgeons with the M.D. degree DO go to medical school. They take the last two years of medical school instead of all four, but they must pass both USMLEs as well. They do not have to take the first two years because dental school's first two years are very similar.

-Cyrus

Depends on the OMFS program. The AVERAGE length of Med School is approx 24months, but it varies from 17-36 months with some programs requiring mandatory on-service months while in school. also, some programs make you go through all the years of med school with call requirements and clinic responsibilities during the first two didactic years.