After earning an MD, she’s headed back to school — to become a nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
More bs articles in order to increase the supply of physicians in order turn the profession into a McD fast service industry. She's a Caribbean medical student. Nuff said.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
even though she is a Caribean grad, this news is still so sad

Reactions: 2 users
Well at least she'll probably be a pretty damn good nurse

Reactions: 8 users
I wonder why she would not apply to PA program. It is only 2 years, instead of become a nurse, then nurse practitioner that would take much longer

Reactions: 1 user
The US government needs to possibly start looking into delegalizing Caribbean schools because they seem to be resulting in students with large amounts of debt with nothing to show for it. For many of these graduates or drop outs, their lives are basically over.

Reactions: 6 users
20c9e1627f8987016f2cd14b99db0537--nurses-hipster.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
The US government needs to possibly start looking into delegalizing Caribbean schools because they seem to be resulting in students with large amounts of debt with nothing to show for it. For many of these graduates or drop outs, their lives are basically over.

Literally scam artists for a chunk of these kids.

Reactions: 1 users
NP school is easy enough but then doing it after an MD must be cake

I wonder why she would not apply to PA program. It is only 2 years, instead of become a nurse, then nurse practitioner that would take much longer

GPA would be my bet. If they were a Caribbean student, I doubt they could get into a PA program.

They could discourage it incredibly easily by just not providing fed loans for Caribbean schools. No one other than the super rich kids whose parents can foot the bill would pay 50k+/year for a 50/50 shot at becoming a doc. I'm really not sure how that got started in the first place because many of the schools are in other countries, but I'd guess it's here to stay because the gov probably makes too much money in interest off those people.

Members don't see this ad :)
A) this is a year old article

B) in the past when this question has come up, people far more knowledgeable than I (L2D, aPD) have said that there are major liability hurdles to trying to go from MD to RN or to NP/PA. Basically that a court could hold you to the liability standards of a doctor even if you were acting in the scope of practice of a nurse.
How would a nurse or PA who has previously gotten an MD degree but never been licensed or completed at least internship be held to the standard of a physician. They may technically be a doctor, but I wouldn't consider them a physician.

So the US government should make schools in a different country illegal?

Sorry, caveat emptor.

All the US can do is require passage of USMLE and US clinical rotations. And not allow federal loans for these schools. (Which I think is already the case? Not sure.)

And no one’s life is over if they can’t get a job as an MD, even after going into debt for medical school.

So melodramatic in these forums...

Sorry, caveat emptor.

All the US can do is require passage of USMLE and US clinical rotations. And not allow federal loans for these schools. (Which I think is already the case? Not sure.)

And no one’s life is over if they can’t get a job as an MD, even after going into debt for medical school.

Bolded is not true. Federal loans can be used for Carrib. I agree that they shouldn't be anymore.

They could discourage it incredibly easily by just not providing fed loans for Caribbean schools. No one other than the super rich kids whose parents can foot the bill would pay 50k+/year for a 50/50 shot at becoming a doc. I'm really not sure how that got started in the first place because many of the schools are in other countries, but I'd guess it's here to stay because the gov probably makes too much money in interest off those people.
This. The government doesn't have any say over who makes an off shore medical school, but it shouldn't be giving federal loan money to people going to them.

Reactions: 7 users

Sorry, caveat emptor.

Several, I think most, of the Caribbean schools actually qualify for U.S. fed loans, which is a major reason why their status as expensive diploma mills is such a huge problem. One of my college friends attended a non-big 4 Carib school, and he's going to graduate with almost 500k of debt to the U.S. gov. Now imagine if he ends up being one of those people who can't match, or if he were one of the people who rack up 200k in debt and is then either kicked out or can't pass boards. Not too hard to see the problem there.

Bolded is not true. Federal loans can be used for Carrib. I agree that they shouldn't be anymore.

I stand corrected. That is ridiculous.

Honestly, I don’t even think the for-profit schools should be eligible for federal loans.

Wonder why she didnt go the PA route. Shorter education, higher base earning.

I know Caribbean students aren't popular at SDN, but I hate hearing stories like this. These schools need to be shut down.

I know Caribbean students aren't popular at SDN, but I hate hearing stories like this. These schools need to be shut down.
It's not Caribbean student per se that are loathed here. It's the schools tactics to convince people to come there, and the delusional Caribbean students who buy into the crap the administrations sell them and then come here and tout it.

NPs independent practice privledges in many states, and certain NPs make more.
Yeah but isnt nursing like 4 years and then 2 more years to be an NP?
I dont think ive met any NP's who make more than 200. 150 is pretty average.
At the same time shes already wasted 4 years of her life , plus tuition, I personally would rush a PA degree and start earning/be happy with my 100 k a year.

She may have a Caribbean MD, but can she see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

Reactions: 6 users
I dont think ive met any NP's who make more than 200. 150 is pretty average.
At the same time shes already wasted 4 years of her life , plus tuition, I personally would rush a PA degree and start earning/be happy with my 100 k a year.
she has an undergrad degree, Quick nursing degree in 18months followed by online nursing masters in another 24. She probably doesnt have the grades to get into PA school.

How would a nurse or PA who has previously gotten an MD degree but never been licensed or completed at least internship be held to the standard of a physician. They may technically be a doctor, but I wouldn't consider them a physician.

Maybe you wouldn’t, but patients, especially patients considering a lawsuit, might.

Source: have a friend with a certification in a medically-related field (not RN but think respiratory therapist, counselor, doula, etc) who asked a lawyer if they could moonlight in that field during residency to supplement income and was advised against it.

They would get private loaners instead for the ones who can't pay. You would need to stop loans all together.

Maybe you wouldn’t, but patients, especially patients considering a lawsuit, might.

Source: have a friend with a certification in a medically-related field (not RN but think respiratory therapist, counselor, doula, etc) who asked a lawyer if they could moonlight in that field during residency to supplement income and was advised against it.

Let me amend my post: How would a nurse or PA who has previously gotten an MD degree but never been licensed and never even started an internship be held to the standard of a physician?? They may technically be a doctor, but I wouldn't consider them a physician.

I agree that there is huge liability issues for an intern/resident to moonlight as a nurse. I don't think there would be an issue for a Carribean MD grad who failed to get into residency to practice as a nurse.

Let me amend my post: How would a nurse or PA who has previously gotten an MD degree but never been licensed and never even started an internship be held to the standard of a physician?? They may technically be a doctor, but I wouldn't consider them a physician.

I agree that there is huge liability issues for an intern/resident to moonlight as a nurse. I don't think there would be an issue for a Carribean MD grad who failed to get into residency to practice as a nurse.
I know of multiple FMGs who were unable to secure residencies and ultimately attended PA school and are now practicing PA's. It hasnt appeared to impact them in terms of job prospects from what I can tell.

Think more like 18 months for RN and then a few online classes to push it to a BSN, followed by a year long NP program with 800 clinical hours required. And bingo, you’ve got yourself an NP.

Think more like 18 months for RN and then a few online classes to push it to a BSN, followed by a year long NP program with 800 clinical hours required. And bingo, you’ve got yourself an NP.
honestly boggles my mind, how you can practice medicine after getting an online degree.

Reactions: 5 users
honestly boggles my mind, how you can practice medicine after getting an online degree.

What blows me away is the complete lack of organization or standardization of NP curriculums, and the fact that no one has tried to legally point this out. Some of these programs don’t even have additional pathology courses, as if the path learned at the BSN level was enough. If you compare some of the NP curriculums to those of PA schools it is shocking at the contrast. It honestly has given me the opinion that if I ever need to hire a mid-level I will definitely be hiring a PA because at least I know that they have been taught the basics. NPs are like Bertie Botts Every Flavor Jelly Beans, some aren’t bad and might even be fairly good but some are downright atrocious.

Reactions: 4 users
What blows me away is the complete lack of organization or standardization of NP curriculums, and the fact that no one has tried to legally point this out. Some of these programs don’t even have additional pathology courses, as if the path learned at the BSN level was enough. If you compare some of the NP curriculums to those of PA schools it is shocking at the contrast. It honestly has given me the opinion that if I ever need to hire a mid-level I will definitely be hiring a PA because at least I know that they have been taught the basics. NPs are like Bertie Botts Every Flavor Jelly Beans, some aren’t bad and might even be fairly good but some are downright atrocious.
Did you know they were paying 5-7 times less in malpractice insurance compared to family practice docs in 2014. Absolutely absurd. Up is down, Down is up. There are 224K now, and doesnt seem like they will stop, maybe they will lawyer themselves out. I would definitely hire PA's , I would not hire NPs myself either.

It's not Caribbean student per se that are loathed here. It's the schools tactics to convince people to come there, and the delusional Caribbean students who buy into the crap the administrations sell them and then come here and tout it.

Disagree. A lot of people on this board, for reasons I don't fully understand, despise Caribbean students simply because they went to med school in the Caribbean. Also I haven't seen too many "delusional" Caribbean students on this board; at least in the IM forums most just come here to ask if their 235 will be enough to get them a spot in one of the 100 community programs they applied to.

Last edited:
More bs articles in order to increase the supply of physicians in order turn the profession into a McD fast service industry. She's a Caribbean medical student. Nuff said.

So they have Caribbean nursing schools now....? lol