After finding where matched, suggestions on how to say thanks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letmeinwillya

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
As everyone waits for the NRMP email to find out where we all matched, good luck and hope you get your best choice.

Now what typically happens after the match email today? Does program reach out to candidates right away?

Should candidate get in touch with the program to say hey I'm alive and excited to match there?

Or sit tight and wait it out till Monday?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,
As everyone waits for the NRMP email to find out where we all matched, good luck and hope you get your best choice.

Now what typically happens after the match email today? Does program reach out to candidates right away?

Should candidate get in touch with the program to say hey I'm alive and excited to match there?

Or sit tight and wait it out till Monday?

Thanks for your help!

Your program should get in contact with you within the next few days. I wouldn't call right now, they are going to be really busy there.

And you aren't a candidate anymore!

Thanks for your reply! Understood. So no email contact either until program or PC imitates it first?

Its not that you can't email them, but the programs have been doing this for a while. They will be getting in contact with you soon to start all of the paperwork that needs to be done, including getting your license started. If you haven't heard from them by this time next week, a call or email would be appropriate.

Reactions: 1 user
Got it! Yes I wouldn't want to impose on the program and wait until I hear something from them. Thanks!
Its not that you can't email them, but the programs have been doing this for a while. They will be getting in contact with you soon to start all of the paperwork that needs to be done, including getting your license started. If you haven't heard from them by this time next week, a call or email would be appropriate.

I got a phone call from the PD on Friday (which is what I imagine my PD is doing right now, actually), and then got an email from the program coordinator on Monday going over paperwork stuffs.

Not trying to be jerk, but attendings, PCs, and PDs have a full day of normal work to still do. If it's a big program, that's a lot of potential contacts to make.

So just chill. :)

You signed a contract in essence. The program knows you are grateful.

Congrats....relax and have a good weekend.

Thank you! Yup! Chilling but was just checking what was the norm. Like most things, it depends on the program how soon they get in touch with their new interns.

You are right about the implicit binding contract by participating in the Match! Now gotta sign the paper, most likely next week. Let the relocation planning begin

How to say thanks: respond promptly to any requests from the program - forms, other information. Show up for orientation ready to work hard and learn as much as possible.

Reactions: 4 users
My dad is pretty involved with his program and recommended calling to say thanks and ask if they need anything from you. I just got an answering machine and said thanks, I did get their email and gave them my phone number.

Last year I emailed my PD telling him "thanks...looking forward to getting started". He replied "happy to have you."

As far as I know I'm still planning to be a resident this summer. You've matched...it's time to relax.

Buy all the residents a nice gift. Maybe a $50 gift certificate to Amazon.

I wrote the PD of my TY year a super excited email full of !!!s. It might have been too much, but I was really happy... I was so afraid I'd have to move twice xD Oh well, I'm just there for a year, so if they're thinking "this girl's fking nuts" it's too bad!

Reactions: 1 users
When I matched 5 years ago, I didn't hear from my program until mid-May and only because I bugged them because I was afraid about not getting my paperwork in time. Struck me as a little odd, but new program and all, rolled with it. This year, I was texting our incoming interns at 2pm on match day...

I got calls from my new chair and PD, plus emails from most residents and faculty on Friday and through the weekend. However, it's a small specialty with 3 people in our incoming class, so this would hardly be representative of the larger specialties.

Got an email from PC welcoming new Interns and rest of the paperwork will follow in the remainder of the week. So Yes, potentially program will contact on Monday after the Match if not earlier.. (N=1)

Last edited: