After first year merit based scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masterchiefcell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First of all I just wanted to say that I know this has been posted a couple times here, but I feel like I have a little bit of a unique circumstance and so I thought I would bring it up again. Also, I hope what I'm about to say doesn't come across as bragging I just really want to know what you guys think before I talk to someone at my school.

I received a scholarship to go to my school (about 4500 out of 16000 tuition) for my freshman year, which I currently am in. So far, I have scored the highest score on all of the tests we have had so far, and I also came in with a 40 on my mcat. I am hoping to get a little more scholarship help, because I'm currently taking out loans to pay for the rest of the tuition. Do y'all think this is common at most state schools? I don't want to mention mine specifically, but I feel like given my circumstances I might qualify for a few merit based scholarships. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Members don't see this ad.

The thing is, there is no incentive for them to give you more money. You already attend their school and you're not going anywhere. Your MCAT score means nothing now that you're in medical school. Congrats on doing so well thus far, but you also have to realize that most other people at your school are taking out loans too, so your situation really isn't unique.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above poster, that most people are paying for tuition in loans, and it sounds like your tuition is pretty cheap compared to most schools already so your school probably isnt worried too much about the amount of debt they are burdening you with (many schools are 3 or 4 times that 16k a year for tuition alone).

However, I can provide you with one data point. I attend a state school that gives scholarships/awards to the top 4 or 5 students at the end of M1, as well as a couple awards (some with money attached some not) for the top scoring student or two in specific classes. I believe similar awards are given out at the end of M2 as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

First of all I just wanted to say that I know this has been posted a couple times here, but I feel like I have a little bit of a unique circumstance and so I thought I would bring it up again. Also, I hope what I'm about to say doesn't come across as bragging I just really want to know what you guys think before I talk to someone at my school.

I received a scholarship to go to my school (about 4500 out of 16000 tuition) for my freshman year, which I currently am in. So far, I have scored the highest score on all of the tests we have had so far, and I also came in with a 40 on my mcat. I am hoping to get a little more scholarship help, because I'm currently taking out loans to pay for the rest of the tuition. Do y'all think this is common at most state schools? I don't want to mention mine specifically, but I feel like given my circumstances I might qualify for a few merit based scholarships. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Yea not gonna happen

"Hey guys, so a little background here, I'm getting extremely high grades and am just dominating academically, but was wondering about <non-problem that nobody on this board could possibly answer>, so, you know, what do you think?"

How many of these threads are we going to have?

So you aced the MCAT, are the highest scorer in your class, and you can't figure out that you have absolutely no bargaining power?

Reactions: 3 users
I attend a state school and there are quite a few scholarships of varying sizes that they give out based on academic performance to current students. I get wanting to run things by the SDN community first but this is really a questi0n for your financial aid department. There is nothing wrong with wanting to score some extra scholarships and asking won't hurt.

Reactions: 2 users
I attend a state school and there are quite a few scholarships of varying sizes that they give out based on academic performance to current students. I get wanting to run things by the SDN community first but this is really a questi0n for your financial aid department. There is nothing wrong with wanting to score some extra scholarships and asking won't hurt.

Yup. No one can answer this question for you except your own school.

My school actually did have a merit scholarship specifically for the top student in the class at the end of M1 year. But that was a singular thing and hardly usual.

I attend a state school and pay more than double what you do. The top 3 students in M1 year get a 350$ gift certificate to the book store. State schools are generally stingy, you should have known that going in.