After further review, don't think moca 2 is THAT bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caligas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Admittedly it is all a money grab and part 4 is pure diarrhea. But:

-moca minute is sort of entertaining and way better than taking a recertification exam.

-while part 4 is certainly insulting bull**** busy work, I believe the time required per year will be fairly small. My work for our group QA will cover a lot of it. The rest should be doable by writing down the kind of things I do all the time such as look up an unusual comorbidity or make a plan for improvement after a challenge or complication. Again, annoying and insulting but not horrible. No sim lab for me.

-the fees are indefensible, can't address that.

Members don't see this ad.

You are becoming soft.

Not sure I was ever tough.

I guess it's like with Trump, I'm trying to accept reality and make the best of it.

Would love to rebel and just do NBPAS, but I worked too friggin hard to earn my ABA certificate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just did the first quarter of MOCA minute for 2017. Most of the questions were pretty easy. There was ONE question which I got wrong that I knew the real world answer to. This scenario has been discussed on SDN. I answered the question the way I thought they wanted me to and not the way I would actually practice in the real world. Guess what? The correct answer on MOCA minute was based on 2016 data and it is EXACTLY how I practice. I laughed at that one question (I got it wrong based on my incorrect assumptions about the ABA) but it made the experience more fun. In addition, that question was the most relevant one they asked for the quarter.

The entire MOCA of 30 questions took about 20 minutes.

So you don't mind being extorted because it's easy? Cool. Would you be OK with it if they got rid of the questions entirely and just made you mail them the money every year to stay certified? That would be even easier.

Note that you can't be NBPAS certified unless you were already ABA certified. All the work you put into it is just as valid and you can be just as proud of it.

Don't just take it from me- here's what the president-elect of the California Society of Anesthesiologists has to say about the matter: http://apennedpoint.com/the-boards-have-exceeded-their-bounds/

So you don't mind being extorted because it's easy? Cool. Would you be OK with it if they got rid of the questions entirely and just made you mail them the money every year to stay certified? That would be even easier.

Note that you can't be NBPAS certified unless you were already ABA certified. All the work you put into it is just as valid and you can be just as proud of it.

Don't just take it from me- here's what the president-elect of the California Society of Anesthesiologists has to say about the matter: http://apennedpoint.com/the-boards-have-exceeded-their-bounds/

I thought the goal IS for me to just send the ABA my money. This isn't about anything else other than sending the ABA money and checking a few boxes. As for me bing "proud" that has nothing to do with it. It's all about keeping one's options open for the future; that means ABA current certification for licensure (new states) and new facilities.

I"m almost done with this "cycle" and there won't be another cycle for me.

In the interests of full disclosure, I acknowledge with delight that I have a non-time limited board certificate from the American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA), issued before the year 2000. I can just say “no” to recertification.

This statement applies to many Anesthesiologists I know. I simply chose to go through the MOCA process for my own personal edification. I'm almost done with this cycle and will have 10 years of "current" status very soon.

As for the overall usefulness of MOCA? Well, I think you know my answer.

The real danger of MOC is this: It is rapidly evolving into a compulsory badge that you might soon need to wear if you want to renew your medical license, maintain hospital privileges, and even keep your status as a participating physician in insurance networks. If physicians don’t act now to prevent this evolution from going further, as a profession we will be caught in a costly, career-long MOC trap. The only other choice will be to leave the practice of medicine altogether, as many already are doing.

http://apennedpoint.com/the-boards-have-exceeded-their-bounds/

So you don't mind being extorted because it's easy?

That's kind of a hostile and accusatory response ... don't forget who the actual enemy is.

1, NBPAS isn't an option for some of us. It is not recognized by all institutions or employers. Full stop.

2, even for those of us who can walk away from the ABA and go with NBPAS, it's a leap of faith to let our ABA certification lapse, not knowing where or with whom we'll be practicing 5 or 10 years from now. Acceptance of NBPAS is not ubiquitous.

Good on you for taking a stand and trying to make things better for all of us. But the big picture is that $210/year for this MOCA nonsense is lost in the noise of all the other stupid fees and costs we bear to have the ability work. Bottom line, my ABA board certification is worth more than $210/year to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry not trying to be offensive. I just get fired up about this. I don't take kindly to extortion.

The problem is that the ABA (all the ABMS boards) know full well that people have to stay with them.

That's why they can extort their membership, knowing people will choose the path of least resistance.

The solutions to this are now at the state legislative level. Mandatory MOC has to be outlawed state by state. It's happening already.

There'll probably be restraint of trade lawsuits bubbling up in the near future too.

Reactions: 1 user
Since I am grandfathered with a permanent ABA certification, I don't need MOCA- but should I do it anyway for continuing education and to look good on paper, or is it irrelevant?

Since I am grandfathered with a permanent ABA certification, I don't need MOCA- but should I do it anyway for continuing education and to look good on paper, or is it irrelevant?

Only relevant if you apply for licensure in some states or are planning on another job. I wanted re-certification to show those around me that I'm up to date and not a dinosaur. This way when I apply for a job I have no issues with certification.

Almost everyone I know that is lifetime certified only took the recertification test (2008-2010) and didn't enter MOCA. After I took the test and re-certified I started MOCA. I'm so far along with the process that at this point I only have to do MOCA minute questions to get another 10 year certificate. If I wasn't this far along I would just forget about it entirely as it has not been useful. The ACE and/or SEE questions are much more useful ($720 per year for both) than any of the MOCA requirements.
http://www.asahq.org/education/online-learning/ace-program

THE American Board of Anesthesiology (ABA) recently announced its plan for time-limited certification. All primary, subspecialty, and "Continued Demonstration of Qualifications" (CDQ) certificates issued on or after January 1, 2000, will expire 10 yr after the candidate passed the certifying examination.

In summary, those who will or have earned diplomate status before January 1, 2000, have the option of voluntary recertification.

http://anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org/article.aspx?articleid=1949398

A Call for AOBA to Return to Lifetime Certification – No OCC
Posted on July 17, 2016 by freedominmedicine

A friend of IP4PI writes in:

I would like to take few moments of your time and share with you some ideas on MOC/OCC and board re-certification exams. As a fellow physician and a Son of Dr. A.T. Still, we all share similar concerns. Our burden is to be true and faithful to our profession and to serve the needs of our patients honestly.

As an Osteopathic Physician like many in my situation, I completed my Osteopathic Internship, and participated in an ACGME anesthesia residency program which makes us uniquely qualified to be board certified by the AOA AOBA, ABMS ABA and The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, FRCPC (Canada). All three are fully respected and recognized in the USA. As a matter of fact, in my training program at USC we had many doctors from Canada who were certified by the FRCPC and were fully incorporated with a full Professorship status. The FRCPC has always been a Life-Time board certification process. Now, recently, last year, ABA has also re-adopted the Life-Time board certification process and dropped the EVERY-10-YEARS re-certification exam.

I am certified by the AOA AOBA and I chose to be certified by the same (as I had options to go with either the ABA or the FRCPC (Canada)) and am proud of this achievement.

Moving forward, the Osteopathic Physicians who have graduated from an Anesthesia ACGME program will have the three board certification options. But, only the AOA AOBA currently requires a re-certification exam. Given the options, it is possible that many new DO ACGME graduates and those who have to take the re-certification exam may consider ABA or the FRCPC options to avoid the process of re-certification exam which is against the best interest of the patients. This is a major stress factor. It puts our career on a very shaky ground. It places the Osteopathic Anesthesia Physicians at the mercy of the ABA and IMG FRCPC physicians in AMERICA!

As a fellow Osteopath and physician, I would kindly like to request the AOBA to eliminate the re-certification exam to preserve our pride and dignity. If you feel that the re-certification exam in the AOA AOBA system should be eliminated for its current diplomats and future diplomats, please kindly provide your input on this matter to the AOA BOS. The re-certification exam makes us less competitive in the tough Anesthesia Market in these challenging times. The said employer will seek the security of having an ABA or FRCPC certified physician knowing that those physicians will not have to deal with the uncertainty of potentially losing her/his board-certified status since they do not have to take the exam every ten years. Also, it makes those of us certified by the AOA AOBA less competitive in the market place to be employed. If those of us who are certified by the AOA AOBA, do not pass the re-certification exam, we will lose our jobs and most certainly be replaced by the either an ABA certified physician or an IMG FRCPC certified physician. As is, in my experience, we (DO Anesthesiologists at Major American Medical Centers) are frequently being treated as a third option to the ABA and the FRCPC certified physicians at major medical centers. Recruiters and fellowship directors often ask me if I am certified by the ABA to be considered, yet, we have IMG FRCPC working at the major medical centers with zero scrutiny with little or no American training or certifications. Yet, our Osteopathic residencies and board certifications are not recognized by the host nations that these IMG attendings come from.

Recently, I applied for a cardiac anesthesia fellowship at a major medical center. I was told that I would need an ABA board certification to be considered. However, many of those same programs have many staff members with FRCPC or other foreign credentials with little or no American certifications at any levels. As a matter of fact, many of the same departments have chairs, residency and fellowship directors and attending with FRCPC or other foreign certification but, when it comes to AOBA certification, we are scrutinized. By having this re-certification exam every ten years will only work against us.

I fear that those of us certified by the AOBA are in a very unstable situation if we do not follow the ABA and the FRCPC to offer a life-time board certification to its current AOBA diplomats and future diplomats. Many Osteopathic physicians who qualify for ABA and FRCPC may choose to defect to the same in future to seek security and comfort. Some new outfit such as NBPAS (https://nbpas.org/apply/?level=13) is also vowing to steal the defects to provide the said candidates with life-time board certifications in many specialties as well.

Finally, one thing that should be clear now is my loyalty to the AOA system rules supreme. I chose AOBA as my first choice given the fact that my training allowed me to be certified by all three respected agencies when I completed my residency in 2001 (AOA BOS, AMBS ABA, FRCPC) and I would like to finish my career the same.

Please kindly consider in eliminating this every-10-year exam to preserve the strength of our Osteopathic physicians, especially in Anesthesia as ABA and FRCPC is currently not participating in the same. This would also preserve the best interests of our patients.

I pray and hope that the AOA will continue to guide and lead us and stay true to our profession as being the best Sons and Daughters of Dr. A.T. Still.

Thanks very much for your time.

(I found this online and thought it was interesting)

What hasn't changed? The need to be board certified by the ABA in the first place. Many lifetime certified physicians are still incensed that their certificates now read certified but not participating in MOC on the ABA's website, an asterisk in a perfectly legitimate career. Even these new changes will not appease doctors who feel any extra work to maintain their certificates is overly burdensome. These are the people who are flocking to the alternative certification program NBPAS. But for now, the removal of the recertification exam and the simulation is a huge step forward. Hopefully the ABA will continue to be responsive to the outcry of its members for simplification of a process that has huge implications for their livelihoods.
http://www.blog.greatzs.com/2015/04/moca-20-pay-now-rather-than-pay-later.html