Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

After Graduation: Back to CC or State School to Finish Pre-reqs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Developer, 09.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Developer

Developer Aspiring Immunologist Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    I'm a sophomore currently studying business administration at UC Riverside and I won't be able to finish the pre-reqs for med school before I graduate because of the 216 quarter unit maximum for graduation. I'll be able to finish both the gen chem and ochem series and I already have 1/2 of the biology requirement completed with a class I took at CC before I started attending my current school.

For financial reasons, I want to avoid having to take the rest of my pre-reqs at the same school after graduation.

Would it be wiser to attend the local cal state during summer sessions to complete the physics series, one more general bio course, and biochem? Or would it be okay to complete these courses at the CC in my hometown so that I could save more money?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Daisy the Dog Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Author
    It would likely be ok, but it would be ideal to do your pre-reqs at a four year institution. Deserved or not, CCs still retain somewhat of a stigma, and the "rigor" of your academic path up to the point of med school is an important point of consideration at most schools. Some institutions may be get worried if they see that most or many of your pre-reqs were done at a CC; how frequently that would be a concern and how big that concern is I don't know and likely varies from school to school and even reviewer to reviewer.

All other things being equal, I think it would behoove you to do the pre-reqs at a larger school over a CC. If, however, the cost savings are substantial at the CC, then it might be a better decision for you. I don't think there's a clear cut answer.

4. gibson777

gibson777 2+ Year Member

hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    Just FYI, you can go over the units if you get it all done in 4 years. I know people who graduated with 250+ units from UCs. It is when you go over 4 years the unit cap comes into play, and even then I've heard you can go over.

I am facing the same issue as a junior at UCLA as a non science major, but pondering different ideas of how to get prereqs done. Ultimately the best option is probably a post bacc program or something similar. Or take summer classes and tack on a prereq every quarter and see where you are at.

About the ads