After graduation questions! Did you take a vacation, how long until you got your first job, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magpieeee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm a second-year student and I'm starting to think more about life after graduation. In my program, I will graduate in the spring of 2021, take the NPTE in the summer of 2021. I do plan on applying to one-two residency programs but otherwise will be looking for work in outpatient ortho with a focus on pelvic health.

I would love to take a vacation before I start working but I also will have a considerable amount of debt to manage and want to find a good well-rounded position for a new graduate.

I'm curious if what you all think about the following:

1. Did you take a vacation, if so how long?
2. How long until you got your first job?
3. What do you recommend saving for a buffer post-graduation? (Currently, I am thinking 6 months of expenses saved would feel good. And if I end up getting a job sooner I can keep some as an emergency fund and make a large payment towards my loans.)

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't, didn't feel I needed one. Was studying/waiting for NPTE for 2 months after graduation while working 2 days a week in outpatient ortho. If you have to wait for NPTE after your graduation as well, that would be a good time for the time off. I did not get much job opportunities with the temporary PT license (you will have it if you have to wait for NPTE). There were much more options after I got my license.

2 weeks after graduation, outpatient ortho (was not planning to stay there long). 2-3 weeks after getting my PT license (permanent job, inpatient) .

3. What do you recommend saving for a buffer post-graduation? (Currently, I am thinking 6 months of expenses saved would feel good. And if I end up getting a job sooner I can keep some as an emergency fund and make a large payment towards my loans.)
Sounds reasonable and pretty safe. make sure you consider expenses for NPTE, law exam, and license fees. I

Reactions: 1 users
Howdy! great questions. After 3 years of PT school, I definitely understand the need for a vacation!

I went to iceland for 4 days via a groupon deal :)

I finished classes in December, then started studying for 8 weeks for the January 26th board. When classes ended, I made sure to start submitting to jobs to get myself out in the market. I was interviewing while I was studying, then accepted my first job before I took my boards! I think it was a great strategy to stay motivated to pass :D

I actually write a blog about my debt free journey. I would definitely project when you plan on officially getting your first paycheck, then have an 1k emergency fund. During the deferment period, it would be a good idea to start attacking the loans early before that interest kills you. During my first year of working, I thought I was making progress on my loans but turned out I only paid 10k on my interest.... fail! Hope this info helps. Would be happy to answer any questions you have post-grad or even pre-boards!

I've been working as a PT since 2017 and also did travel PT for a year. Good luck with your planning!