1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

After Interview, Do Scores Matter?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by C8H10N4O2Addict, Dec 6, 2005.

1. C8H10N4O2Addict

7+ Year Member

I have heard by some that they still do, and by others that they don't. Any input?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Saluki

Saluki 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I'd like to hear from LizzyM on this subject...

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

I don't think there's a blanket rule for all schools. Some places will tell you outright that once applicants make it to the interview round they are on equal footing. Others (most) have interviewers submit a score for the interview and it gets factored in with the other stuff (often ranking very highly in importance). At all places you can take comfort in the fact that they wouldn't waste their interviewers' time with you if you didn't have a shot. I certainly do know quite a few folks with moderate stats who nailed the interview and beat out many numerically better candidates for spots.

5. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you think that getting an interview quickly in a school's interview season is indicative that they want you?

6. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No. It means you made the initial cut, but I don't think you can read more than that into the timing. They pick people to be interviewed throughout the cycle, and of those interviewed they pick people to accept. I doubt there is any sort of ranking prior to the interview, and thus whether you are interviewed early, middle or late, you have still made it to the interview level, no more no less.

7. Antigunner

Antigunner This is a chill pill.
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not necessarily true - When I was applying I had at least one school that explicitly said that the "most qualified" applicants interviewed first. Granted, I think this was based entirely on numerical data (GPA, MCAT, etc.), but it's something...

8. princessd3

princessd3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have a hard time believing that once you're invited to an interview you're on an even playing field with everyone else. I think when it's all said and done they still consider every part of your application, scores, extracurricular activities, gpa...everything.

9. letmein!please?

letmein!please? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It depends on the school. Im sure everyone does this somewhat, but some schools weigh the interview more than others, some invite far less people to interview, etc. A former adcom memeber at UAB (this guy is one of the two people who write the boards for neuroscience--very smart), told me that when they interviewed people they were really just trying to weed out the weirdos...one guy got arrested the night before his interview for public drunkeness...that sort of thing.

10. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    This is my experience (others schools are different -- & don't ask where I am)

some application readers will look at a stack of applications and pull the ones will the most impressive numbers from the stack & do them first. That might put an applicant about 2 weeks ahead of someone who came in at the same time. (All the applications in the stack have to be read in a 2 week period -- even the adcom lives with deadlines). Not really a big leap in the queue when you consider that the interview season lasts for 4-6 months.

The readers assign a number. Let's say that someone who scores 7/10 might be worthy of an offer if they interview really, really well (the numbers are average or a little below average but the ECs are unusual and the applicant would offer a different perspective). That person might get an interview. Others will have 8, 9, even a 10/10. A poor interview or two is going to drop you a point or two, a good interview might raise you a point, if everyone is extremely impressed you might bump up more than a point. So, in the end someone who got a 9 and interviewed well will have a higher number than someone who started as a 7 and interviewed well (scores do matter). It is the 4.0/40 who comes across as a total jerk for whom scores will not pull his ass out of the fire (his 9 or 10 becomes a 7 or 8). Meanwhile the guy with the 7 interviews really well and gets ranked an 8 or 8.5 on the basis of the interview. So in the end both are equal or the guy with the lower scores gets the offer. :D

11. BaylorGuy

BaylorGuy Enter witty comment here
    7+ Year Member

I would think that your first semester scores of your senior year would make a difference. It may not help you, but i think it could hurt you. Overall, i'd plan on doing well your senior year, just in case you may have to reapply. No use trying to reapply when you graduate with a 3.1 with a 2.0 senior year....i dunno, just me.