After much thought, I think my EGO is the reason I wanted to be a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

full

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm glad you've seen the error of your ways in being a complete tool douchelord. Really, I am.

Also -- Wonderfully ironic, because you're looking for some validation on how you overcame the need for validation. Thank you for the lulz.

Somehow, the legacy continues.

I love how people assume that if they try hard they will be at the top of the med school class. Most in any given med school class will have to try hard just to pass. 50% will be in the bottom half of the class. That is a difficult transition for people who have always been the best.

OP Make sure that you will be satisfied with your job as a dentist. Dont just choose it because you think it's going to be less work and afford you a very comfortable lifestyle. It is still a lot of work and money going through dental school just to find out you hate filling teeth. JMO

Members don't see this ad :)
As an engineer myself I just wanted to know where you think this radiation of negative energy (egoic) comes from. I think my institution is doing me a great injustice by not teaching me all about it. Does this energy transfer violate any of the established laws?

As an engineer myself I just wanted to know where you think this radiation of negative energy (egoic) comes from. I think my institution is doing me a great injustice by not teaching me all about it. Does this energy transfer violate any of the established laws?

I've actually sort of wondered about this as well. I had a girl I dated who would try to talk to me about this stuff, and despite my efforts I generally would roll my eyes excessively and laugh once in a while which usually pissed her off and caused her never to really get through an explanation. I'm assuming there isn't any verifiable, testable data regarding this, so is it just a belief system more or less?

No. The radiation of negative energy from a pathological gunner increases entropy and is exothermic, i.e. it is always exergonic.

The fuel for this radiant energy is derived from the fusion of premed personalities in the intense heat and overwhelming pressure of the gunner mentality to form an element with a higher application weight: the 4.0/40 robot.

No laws are broken. Only souls.

OP, you may have started off with the ego-stroking mentality, but you're already beyond that (that's more than a lot of people can say). You may find other reasons that draw you to medicine. Keep your options open. No need to decide the rest of your life today.

What exactly draws you to dentistry, and why doesn't that apply to medicine anymore?

No. The radiation of negative energy from a pathological gunner increases entropy and is exothermic, i.e. it is always exergonic.

Hooray for spontaneous acts of prickishness.

OP: Congratulations on the most nonsensical post of 4/27/08

Sure You can help people by being a doctor, but ultamately I think most of helping people comes from subtilities in your energy levels that you project out to the world--in other words your vibe(you probably won't understand whta I'm talking about unless you have done massive reading in self-development)

Ego? Arrogance? The legacy lives on.

The tool never gets far from the tool chest. No matter how many self-development books it reads.

So for the last 3-4 months, I've been listening (audiobooks) to a lot of Echkart Tolle and other authors who talk about EGO.

I absolutely love this stuff, and it's changed my life like crazy. This stuff is freakin' AWESOME.

The way I look at the world had TOTALLY changed. WOW!

Before coming across this stuff I wanted to have SO MUCH MONEY. I wanted a mansion in beverly hills, a ferrari, etc etc. I wanted to go to the absolute top--being a neuro or heart surgeon. I was wiling to spend extra years in residency (like do multiple post docs, or internal med residiences first) if I couldn't immediatly qualifly for those residencies. I was in this mindset for like 2 yrs.

Anyway, the last 3 months I realized how much of a joke that was, and how I was basing my happiness and mood on external things.

So now I'm like why do I want to put my body through so much stress just to be crowned by everyone as "the ****"?

I don't.

And I thikn that the route of being a doctor is gonna be so "tooling"--from my new perspective, would feel like a tool --like I'm gonna work my *** off just for some little validation from people.

Sure You can help people by being a doctor, but ultamately I think most of helping people comes from subtilities in your energy levels that you project out to the world--in other words your vibe(you probably won't understand whta I'm talking about unless you have done massive reading in self-development)

I've already spent 5 yrs in engineering, and it was hell, and I actually enjoyed it, or at least thought I did for most of the time, and learned alot from it...and I don't regret it at all cuz I wouldn't be the same person now.

But I don't think I would enjoy doing it again, and I'm glad I went through it because I delevoped alot of insight about myself and how the people work.

I realized by working my *** off and wanting my partners in group projects to work their *** off when they were over worked and not down to so, I was actually radiating negative energy (egoic) in the world. (this is just a random example it's not like I'm mournign over this)

I've really questioned whether I want to be a doctor, because I am pretty sure that I just wanted to be a doctor for validation--meaning to prove to the world that i am worthy and important and to derive confidence from it. Like I couldn't feel good about myself or AS GOOD about myself without being a doctor. It was like "I'm a doctor and I'm accomplished for like and nobody can talk **** to me!" ...I really thought this way to the heart.

Well for like the last 2 months I've gotten so far away from that way of thinking and everyday tend to even go more for away from that way of thinking.

Now, I just pretty much want to be financially stable, and do something that I can live it or at least decently enjoy. I think my interests will always be evolving, so I can't like choose a common profession that I'll always be interested in.

So I'm considering just applying to dental school, cuz I view it as being much more chill, plus it will give me time to actually have a life aside from work.

I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say.

Basing your life on Echkhart Tolle or any other self-help guru is your first mistake. Are you insane? Not only are you way, way over-thinking life but you will probably end up flitting from one intellectual fad to the other, eventually joining some cult.

You absolutely do not help people by projecting subtleties in your energy levels. this is totally ridiculous. You help people by reaching into the rectum of a 95-year-old nursing home patient and disimpacting them of a week's worth of stool. That, along with the other things we do in medicine of lesser or greater invasiveness is "helping." Feeling good about yourself is nice and all but it has no practical effect on anybody.

I weep for the anchorless, rudderless, spiritually hollow culture that so many embrace.

I'm glad you've seen the error of your ways in being a complete tool douchelord. Really, I am.

Also -- Wonderfully ironic, because you're looking for some validation on how you overcame the need for validation. Thank you for the lulz.

Somehow, the legacy continues.

awesome

Members don't see this ad :)
So I guess this is the new marketing ploy for self help gurus...target the Pre-Med demographic...

So for the last 3-4 months, I've been listening (audiobooks) to a lot of Echkart Tolle and other authors who talk about EGO.

I absolutely love this stuff, and it's changed my life like crazy. This stuff is freakin' AWESOME.

The way I look at the world had TOTALLY changed. WOW!

Before coming across this stuff I wanted to have SO MUCH MONEY. I wanted a mansion in beverly hills, a ferrari, etc etc. I wanted to go to the absolute top--being a neuro or heart surgeon. I was wiling to spend extra years in residency (like do multiple post docs, or internal med residiences first) if I couldn't immediatly qualifly for those residencies. I was in this mindset for like 2 yrs.

Anyway, the last 3 months I realized how much of a joke that was, and how I was basing my happiness and mood on external things.

So now I'm like why do I want to put my body through so much stress just to be crowned by everyone as "the ****"?

I don't.

And I thikn that the route of being a doctor is gonna be so "tooling"--from my new perspective, would feel like a tool --like I'm gonna work my *** off just for some little validation from people.

I've already spent 5 yrs in engineering, and it was hell, and I actually enjoyed it, or at least thought I did for most of the time, and learned alot from it...and I don't regret it at all cuz I wouldn't be the same person now.

But I don't think I would enjoy doing it again, and I'm glad I went through it because I delevoped alot of insight about myself and how the people work.

I realized by working my *** off and wanting my partners in group projects to work their *** off when they were over worked and not down to so, I was actually radiating negative energy (egoic) in the world. (this is just a random example it's not like I'm mournign over this)

I've really questioned whether I want to be a doctor, because I am pretty sure that I just wanted to be a doctor for validation--meaning to prove to the world that i am worthy and important and to derive confidence from it. Like I couldn't feel good about myself or AS GOOD about myself without being a doctor. It was like "I'm a doctor and I'm accomplished for like and nobody can talk **** to me!" ...I really thought this way to the heart.

Well for like the last 2 months I've gotten so far away from that way of thinking and everyday tend to even go more for away from that way of thinking.

Now, I just pretty much want to be financially stable, and do something that I can live it or at least decently enjoy. I think my interests will always be evolving, so I can't like choose a common profession that I'll always be interested in.

So I'm considering just applying to dental school, cuz I view it as being much more chill, plus it will give me time to actually have a life aside from work.

I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say.

Have you considered becoming a Zen Buddhist and just stripping away the layers of your life until you reach essential simplicity, when you have no desires at all. When you have no desire to date girls in Texas who drink beer while riding the mechanical bull? That is the ultimate test. If you pass that test, then you can go to medical school. Most dentists would fail that test, because when they see the girl on the mechanical bull, it creates desire, and desire is what we need to abandon, if we are to achieve, what is the word, well, the word is perspective, but not in the sense that artists use the word, perspective, to create distance in a painting.

LOLzzz, probably won't understand unless can't spell, lullll

To the OP:

If it helps, I get what you're talking about and for the most part, agree with you. I've been there. Congrats for getting through to the other side.

Don't mind other people's negative posts. Not making a judgment on them or anyone else, but it honestly is sometimes hard for others to understand the process you're going through if they haven't personally been through it. You'll be called a hippie, new-agey space cadet 'til the day you die. Just take it in stride. ;)

As far as choosing dentistry- and this is one of the parts that I *really* disagree with your thinking and feel like as much progress as you claim to be making, you seem to be really hitting the mark- DON'T DO IT. It sounds like you're just choosing it out of convenience, rather than passion. This is your life's work. Would you settle for anything less than something you are absolutely thrilled to be doing everyday? (Yes, I realize not every day will be like this in *any* field, but you get my point.) Your life is your prayer. Be accountable.

Besides the fact that the OP seems like he hasn't truly gotten over himself (his ego is heavily coating everything in that post), the underlying point is interesting.

The OP seems like he has a huge ego and need for validation, but I'm sure there are tons of pre-meds (or pre-xx who are striving for the wrong thing) who want to be doctors for the prestige/respect/money and will never be as happy either. Hopefully most of these people realize their mistake and do a better job than the OP.

PS: It makes me want to cry that the OP decided his reasons for being a doctor were wrong, but then decides he wants to be a dentist (health-professional, same amount of schooling, high pay, helping people, etc.).

I'm going to go ahead and project negative energy all over this thread.

I think it ridiculous to base your life on something you can buy at a bookstore. If you truly want to reflect on life and grant yourself some degree of self-respect, try living life on your own rather than relying on someone else's packaged version of buddhism or any other school of philosophy.

Honestly, it's these types of books that really feed on and profit from the lack of direction in people's lives, that offer up some alternative to just buckling down and figuring out things for yourself. Mr. Tolle does not care what you do with your life, he already got his ten bucks from you. Instead of basing decisions on a self-help book (and based on your post, it seems like you haven't even done a good job at that), how about you take some time to explore different career paths that are interesting to you. If you insist on finding your answers in a book written by someone else, I am confident that you will find yourself confused once again when that path still doesn't lead you to happiness. And then what are you going to do? Buy the sequel to "A New Earth"?

I have no problem with these books insofar as they provide an entertaining read (Just like SDN). To base one's life around it however reeks of a weak state of mind and a lack of confidence in one's self. Dental school and the profession of dentistry can be very rewarding, but as with medicine, if the decision to enter it is not sound, then nor will your time spent in the profession.

Good luck with your decision however, I hope it works out for the best

Ground Control To Phenomalove!!!!

To OP: Man you had really low self-esteem before. You're definitely on the right track now though, and I'm glad for you. Find things that'll make you happy, but realize that if you're not happy at this moment, nothing external will make you happy.

i think everyone goes into medicine at least PARTLY because it gives a sense of accomplishment/self-validation; the prestige that you would get (or think you would get) is definetyely one aspect that ppl are drawn to.

But ya, to base your career choice just on that is pretty unwise. OP's post was pretty funny tho.

deleted

Last edited:
I love how people assume that if they try hard they will be at the top of the med school class. Most in any given med school class will have to try hard just to pass. 50% will be in the bottom half of the class. That is a difficult transition for people who have always been the best.

Thank you for that.

I've already spent 5 yrs in engineering, and it was hell, and I actually enjoyed it, or at least thought I did for most of the time, and learned alot from it...and I don't regret it
You can still learn a lot from a terrible situation. Doesn't mean you should enter into another possibly terrible job just to "learn".

Its quite simple really. A half is 1/2, which is 50 percent. Therefore, the bottom half is 50 percent. [/sarcasm]
Still not convinced.

:rolleyes:

A+

I have mixed feelings about this thread.

Part of what he is saying is true. Regardless of how much of our motivation it comprises, we are all going to enjoy the status of the title doctor. This may not be our motivation, or even included in why we want to do what we do, but we will enjoy it, and through enjoying it we will receive validation from it.

On the other hand, he goes overboard. I don't think many of us are in it purely for the money and respect.

What really throws me for a loop is how negatively everyone responded to this. It looks like this prickled some people's defenses. "methinks the lady doth protest too much"

HEAT ME UP BB.

I'm going to go ahead and project negative energy all over this thread.

Have you considered becoming a Zen Buddhist and just stripping away the layers of your life until you reach essential simplicity, when you have no desires at all. When you have no desire to date girls in Texas who drink beer while riding the mechanical bull? That is the ultimate test. If you pass that test, then you can go to medical school. Most dentists would fail that test, because when they see the girl on the mechanical bull, it creates desire, and desire is what we need to abandon, if we are to achieve, what is the word, well, the word is perspective, but not in the sense that artists use the word, perspective, to create distance in a painting.

:thumbup::smuggrin::hardy::love:

It makes me want to cry that the OP decided his reasons for being a doctor were wrong, but then decides he wants to be a dentist (health-professional, same amount of schooling, high pay, helping people, etc.).

It's simple, really. Although he still wants to be a highly-paid health professional who helps people, he just doesn't want to help them as much as he would have had to before. In other words, he still wants a lot of money and a big house, he just doesn't care as much anymore about making a difference in the lives of others. Not so hard to understand in this day and age.

Actually, 9 out of 10 pre-meds I see on this site should be dentists instead.... it's all money, money, money.

I agree with everyone whose response was negative.

After reading the OP I wanted to verbally pummel him. I can see that this has been sufficiently accomplished. Good work.