After Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stompy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone recommad that I take some practical classes in economics, business, or accounting right now for the purpose of assisting in private practice business administration when I do get there? THe idea of being an entrepreneur really excites me.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear stompy,

Such a program would be wise. I've done the extreme and took about 20 classes after graduation. Here is a an abbreviated list:

1. Accounting; financial and cost (or management)
2. Marketing (at least introductory if not 1 or 2 more)
3. Operations Research (for workflow in your office)

This should work well.

Regards,
Richard_Hom
Originally posted by stompy
Would anyone recommad that I take some practical classes in economics, business, or accounting right now for the purpose of assisting in private practice business administration when I do get there? THe idea of being an entrepreneur really excites me.

Should I do a couple of these classes before I apply? (to show them how serious I am) or afterwards?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear stompy,

I think it's best to take them afterward or during if possible. I happened to to have taken them afterewardd

Regards,
Richard_Hom

Originally posted by stompy
Should I do a couple of these classes before I apply? (to show them how serious I am) or afterwards?

Thanks for any input.

is it not a good idea to have an undergrad business major but complete the pre-req for school? Is it better to major in something like bio?

Dear lazgirl24:

I'm not sure that's going to help much. I believe that a broad science education will take a lot of your time. I did take a lot of business courses in my undergraduate, but not enough to qualify for a degree.

I still believe that taking these courses at a local college on an audit basis will work. You could take the courses in an extension, distance education or local junior college.

Richard
Originally posted by lazgirl24
is it not a good idea to have an undergrad business major but complete the pre-req for school? Is it better to major in something like bio?

i don't know if you have heard of santa clara university. I am currently in their business school and i don't know if i should transfer out of it and apply to a science major? I would really want to stay in the business school but not sure which route will be better for me.

Dear lazgirl24,

Yes, I'm familiar with SCU as I am also in the Peninsula. If that is the case, then you may still be able to fulfill both requirements by taking extra courses. Like you, I started out in business school.

Is it possible for you to take the pre-requisites during your business program or during the summer at SCU or another school? So long your science classes are 4-year transferrable to a program like UC Berkeley, they should be ok for satisfying your prerequisites.

For a more precise evalution of your future plans, might I suggest contacting the optometry school of your choice and querying them on this?

Thanks,
Richard
Originally posted by lazgirl24
i don't know if you have heard of santa clara university. I am currently in their business school and i don't know if i should transfer out of it and apply to a science major? I would really want to stay in the business school but not sure which route will be better for me.

thank you for your help. i am just wondering if i take my science classes at De Anza (JC), will it look bad? Is it better to take at a 4-year college?