After recieving Dental Degree, than what? Private Practise?

Aug 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
After you get a Degree in Dental...Than what? Do you work for a Company?

I would like to open my own practise but how do you get money to do so right after graduating?

Do you have to work for a company for awhile to save up enable for you to open your own private practise?

Im not sure how this works?

Im wanting to go to dental school but I dont know how everything works...

Help?

Thanks,

Jun 8, 2009
USA
Status
Pre-Dental
After you get a Degree in Dental...Than what? Do you work for a Company?

I would like to open my own practise but how do you get money to do so right after graduating?

Do you have to work for a company for awhile to save up enable for you to open your own private practise?

Im not sure how this works?

Im wanting to go to dental school but I dont know how everything works...

Help?

Thanks,
you could work for a franchise.

i believe the best way to get your own practice is to work as an associate for a few years and then buy a retiring dentist's practice. you could also use loans.

if you want to specialize you can enter 2-3 year residencies to obtain a certificate in orthodontics, endodontics, etc.

OP
Kelo
Aug 1, 2009
Status
Work as an associate? ..Whats that? lol...

Sorry im pretty new to the Dental stuff...(As you can see, I have my eye on the MED field...)...

Also, What do you reccomend I get an undergrad in? Biology? Or does it not matter?

Svart Aske

is stabbing his eyes out
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Status
Last edited:
OP
Kelo
Aug 1, 2009
Status
Well its just a back up....It's good to have 2 options...

Anyways dentistry interests me...Especially the lifestyle part...

Dentists seem to have more of a family/social life more than medical docs.

And both make a decent amount of money to live comfortably....

So it all depends really...

In all reality.. Im gunna take the MCAT and see how i do..If i do poorly ill try again...If i do poorly again ill try another time...No point being a damn fool about it :D

After a few times of taking the MCAT (hopfully ill only have to do it once) ill go ahead and live up to my secendary dream as a dentist and take the DAT.

overall, ill succeed, regardless :smuggrin:

OP
Kelo
Aug 1, 2009
Status
Rude much? lol. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Svart Aske

is stabbing his eyes out
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Status

In all reality.. Im gunna take the MCAT and see how i do..If i do poorly ill try again...If i do poorly again ill try another time...No point being a damn fool about it :D

After a few times of taking the MCAT (hopfully ill only have to do it once) ill go ahead and live up to my secendary dream as a dentist and take the DAT.

Unfortunately for you, unless your application is otherwise stellar, applying to medical schools and failing to get essentially puts up a "reject me" sign for the admissions committee.

Andrew324

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Status

Where does this come from? Everyone says this, but is it from watching a lot of TV and believing it or something?

dcsk8element

10+ Year Member
May 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental

LMFAO are u kiddin me, this is bulletin board material right here!!! GOOD STUFF, i'm gona frame this one and hang it up, n1 OP :thumbup:

JamesOSU

Ohio State 2013
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2008
Columbus, OH
Status
Dental Student
Where does this come from? Everyone says this, but is it from watching a lot of TV and believing it or something?
Lack of a required residency of 60-80 weeks on off shifts, on-call, and working at a hospital (as an employee) with little leniency on schedule. A lot of dentists can work 3-4 day work weeks, no late nights/weekends, and still make a good living.

There are exceptions to this rule of course, dentists who want to work 6 days a week when starting out or doctors who have a 4 day work week and a great life too. It seems to be a bit easier for dentists to reach this lifestyle because of the aforementioned things.

JamesOSU

Ohio State 2013
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2008
Columbus, OH
Status
Dental Student

If you fail the MCAT 3x, what makes you think you'll do well on the DAT? They both focus on the hard sciences with minor differences. the DAT has a perceptual abilities section, MCAT has a physics portion. MCAT also has a writing section. Barring those being your poor sections, the DAT and MCAT test very similar things.

Also, Dental admissions applications ask if you've ever applied to med/dent/pharm/vet school before. If you have to say that you applied to med 3x and now you're applying to dental school, it does not put a very good light on you. If you don't disclose that you applied to med schools, when they find out you did your application will be rejected outright.

needa20

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
Status
Dental Student
wow, another steller pre-med post.
are you and the OP from the other thread friends?

if you bomb the mcat 3 times then take the DAt, chances are you wont do much better. DAT is not easier than the MCAT, just different (trust me, i have taken both too)

and if you take and apply to med school 3 times, then switch to dentistry; good luck talking yourself out of a hole during dent interviews.

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist

Dude NOT COOL! I am really getting sick of premeds coming in here saying stupid sh** like this! People have this perception on dentistry being subpar to med, its ignorant. Yea there are alot of aspects that are easier in dent(optional residency, no late hours, etc) but for people to put it in the perspective that i have been reading about lately and hearing from other people is really stupid. If you choose dentistry because you cant make it at med, i would bet alot of money that you cant make it in dental school. And besides that if you choose dental as your last choice its most likely a choice solely based on money, and you will hate your career due to the lack of interest you have in it. And although the MCATs are harder than the DAT's you are in for a rude awakening if you think the DAT is easy. And in perspective it can be harder, i personally liked passage type questions when i took a practice MCAT for fun a while back and thought it some ways it was "easier"(But damn the verbal section on their is killer)

Jul 26, 2009
Status
Dental Student
lol another premed douschebag. Don't forget, med school is much easier to get into than dental school since there are DO and Caribbean schools you can fall back on. If you can't even get into a Caribbean med school then no chance in hell you're getting into any dental school.

tizom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Dental Student
you're an idiot. we dont want you in the dental world, you would be a ****ty dentist anyway

JamesOSU

Ohio State 2013
10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2008
Columbus, OH
Status
Dental Student
I think, to wrap this thread up, as a rule most pre-dental people have a better idea of what they want to do. It is a lot more specific to say "I want to be a dentist" than to say "I want to be a doctor." It's like saying you want to be a marketing exec vs a businessman.

When I entered college I swear everyone and their mom was "pre-med." It's just what above-average intelligent people say when they have no idea what they want to do after college. Someone says they're "pre-dental" and they have done research, probably shadowed, and have a good idea why they want to be a dentist.

Ever wonder why you never see a pre-dent saying they might want to fall back on medical school? Because we know being a dentist >> being a medical doctor, because we've done the research. Screw 8-10 years of school, 60-80 hours on week and on call, and the same money. Pre-meds are suckers

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
Everyone is getting angry at this OP but if you look at other posts by Kelo you realize that Kelo has no idea what it takes for med or dental alike. The poster is really naive when it comes to either profession. I think they are dissing dentistry and they clearly have no clue whats involved with either route. Ignorance is the key word here! Kelo doesnt even have a college course under their belt so I really wouldnt put a lot of stock in what they say, pretty hard to even make an opinion when you're not even in college yet!

Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
It is completely fine to ask questions on SDN that you cannot google. Noobs have a tendency of asking the obvious, i.e. "I'm a college freshman, now tell me how to get into dental school...tell me everything, don't miss any details."

Near

Kung Fu Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I think, to wrap this thread up, as a rule most pre-dental people have a better idea of what they want to do. It is a lot more specific to say "I want to be a dentist" than to say "I want to be a doctor." It's like saying you want to be a marketing exec vs a businessman.

When I entered college I swear everyone and their mom was "pre-med." It's just what above-average intelligent people say when they have no idea what they want to do after college. Someone says they're "pre-dental" and they have done research, probably shadowed, and have a good idea why they want to be a dentist.

Ever wonder why you never see a pre-dent saying they might want to fall back on medical school? Because we know being a dentist >> being a medical doctor, because we've done the research. Screw 8-10 years of school, 60-80 hours on week and on call, and the same money. Pre-meds are suckers
:thumbup: