After rejection...would it be appropriate to contact the dean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Destiny11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation...

I have been recently rejected from a dental school because my BCP GPA did not make the 2.75 cutoff. I have a 3.0 overall GPA, 2.8 science GPA and a 3.7 graduate GPA in a BCP discipline. I am bummed because many of my classes that were heavy in physiology and biochemistry were not considered BCP by AADSAS because they did not have the course prefix in biology. I am also disappointed because this policy would give a secondary application to an undergraduate student with a 2.75 BCP over someone with an advanced degree.

I am also currently taking 18 units of BCP and science classes and will break that threshold by late December, even though it would be very late in the game. It is also very hard to find classes that qualifies as BCP after graduating from a school.

So far I have talked to an admissions counselor from that dental school and all that person has to say is to improve my BCP (obviously). Do you think it would be appropriate to contact the director of admissions and/or the dean of the dental school to explain my situation? I really would like them to at least consider my application for this cycle. All opinions greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my situation...

I have been recently rejected from a dental school because my BCP GPA did not make the 2.75 cutoff. I have a 3.0 overall GPA, 2.8 science GPA and a 3.7 graduate GPA in a BCP discipline. I am bummed because many of my classes that were heavy in physiology and biochemistry were not considered BCP by AADSAS because they did not have the course prefix in biology. I am also disappointed because this policy would give a secondary application to an undergraduate student with a 2.75 BCP over someone with an advanced degree.

I am also currently taking 18 units of BCP and science classes and will break that threshold by late December, even though it would be very late in the game. It is also very hard to find classes that qualifies as BCP after graduating from a school.

So far I have talked to an admissions counselor from that dental school and all that person has to say is to improve my BCP (obviously). Do you think it would be appropriate to contact the director of admissions and/or the dean of the dental school to explain my situation? I really would like them to at least consider my application for this cycle. All opinions greatly appreciated!

Yes for sure. Contact the director and ask politely. You paid your application fee and should not hesitate calling them.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you did well in Physio, Biochem and have a good TS to go with that then I think contacting the Admissions Dean would be in your right. But without those two things your call might come off as pestering. I'd wait to hear back from other schools and if you end up having to reapply, hopefully not, then you should give the dean a call to plead your case and get your name out there.

Are you positive that your classes didn't count in the BCP GPA? I am a Zoology major, so all of my science classes have the prefix "ZOO" and I think all of them counted as the bio part of the BCP. For example, I took a physiology class that has the prefix "ZOO" at my school but it is still considered a biology class. I would look into that if I were you.