After the residency merger will USMLE and COMLEX be "merged" into a new exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_fella

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This seems like a logical step, imho. But I could be wrong; first time for everything. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would a merger mean that MD's have to learn that pseudoscience osteopathic manipulative stuff?

Cranial does not represent OMM/OMT as a whole. But to answer your question yes, they would have to demonstrate competency in OMM/OMT if they are applying to any osteopathic focused ACGME residency programs.

The ACGME Board of Directors just voted unanimously a few days ago to adopt both the ACGME Osteopathic Recognition Requirements and the Osteopathic Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine (ONMM) Requirements.

What does that mean for us?

Nothing, really. It just means that the ACGME unanimously voted to adopt the accreditation requirements for osteopathic focused and ONMM GME. Today the ACGME named Lorenzo Pence, DO as senior vice president to oversee osteopathic programs.

Cranial does not represent OMM/OMT as a whole. But to answer your question yes, they would have to demonstrate competency in OMM/OMT if they are applying to any osteopathic focused ACGME residency programs.

The ACGME Board of Directors just voted unanimously a few days ago to adopt both the ACGME Osteopathic Recognition Requirements and the Osteopathic Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine (ONMM) Requirements.

well that seems ridiculous

I suspect it was a way to get COCA to agree and stay at the table.

COCA hasn't been at the table as far as I'm aware, just AOA and AACOM, since these talks have been about GME and not UME accreditation. My hope is that COCA merges with LCME at some point in the future, that way all this redundancy is unified once and for all.

COCA or AOA whatever. Should all be ACGME and LCME. Take the crazies out of the situation