tesla123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Status
I am asking this question for a friend. He took the MCAT three times and has decided to take it for a fourth (and final) time. He doesn't seem concerned about taking the exam multiple times because his first score is expired and he seems to think that the schools will not be able to see it. Is this true? I don't want him to set himself up for a big surprise if it comes up.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
He can't take it a fourth time without special permission. Three is the maximum number of times that a person can take the MCAT. Also, I believe schools will still be able to see his first score. His first score is expired, meaning that he wouldn't be able to use it when applying to medical school (had he only taken it that one time), but I am almost certain that schools will still see that score.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
The scores are still there... how do you think we know Gaylord Focker's score? but taking into account is a different story. and he's right.. you need permission from the mcat people. they wanna make sure he doesn't work for Kaplan or something and that he's actually trying.

About the Ads

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I thought all you had to do to take it a fourth time was to submit a rejection letter for the previous year from a U.S. medical school?

freaker

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
Status
It's definitely still there. I had several schools ask me about my first score, which was from April of 2000. I don't think it hurt me, as it was so long ago and I did better this time.

LoveDoc

Respect the Rhesus Monkey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
Status
tacrum43 said:
I thought all you had to do to take it a fourth time was to submit a rejection letter for the previous year from a U.S. medical school?

nope. u need a letter from an advisor or someone who can
truthfully say you are taking the test for obvious reasons
like the person stated above.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
tesla123 said:
I am asking this question for a friend. He took the MCAT three times and has decided to take it for a fourth (and final) time. He doesn't seem concerned about taking the exam multiple times because his first score is expired and he seems to think that the schools will not be able to see it. Is this true? I don't want him to set himself up for a big surprise if it comes up.
damn, go to give someone credit for taking it so many times. I am glad I am done with that test. Now I just have a million more ahead!

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
Old MCAT scores never "go away" even after they expire. My first score from 1996 is still on my report; the medical schools will see it along with my newer score from 2004. So you should tell your friend that he needs to be prepared to explain taking the test so many times, because the medical schools will know every score of every test he took.

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
virilep said:
The scores are still there... how do you think we know Gaylord Focker's score? but taking into account is a different story. and he's right.. you need permission from the mcat people. they wanna make sure he doesn't work for Kaplan or something and that he's actually trying.
What did Gaylord actually get? I know it was something like in the 95th percentile, but did they show his actual score???

About the Ads